Author Topic: The Tempest  (Read 8133 times)

Offline shadow

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
The Tempest
« on: March 07, 2008, 08:54:53 AM »
By William Shakespeare

Google Summary:

The bard's final play, containing his mature reflections on life, concerns Prospero, a philosophical old magician, and Miranda, his lovely daughter, who dwell in peaceful isolation on an enchanted island. When a shipwreck brings old enemies to shore, the stage is set for a masterly drama of comedy, romance, and reconciliation.

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: The Tempest
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 10:05:37 AM »
Hmm, we have comedy - flaky old Daniel
                    romance - between Jack and Juliet
                    reconciliation - between Locke and Ben (maybe)
                                         between Juliet and the freighter people

Interesting  :)

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 11:53:47 AM »

Maybe the reconciliation is between Locke and Jack??...

Offline *MaZ*

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 11:55:25 AM »
Hope not. Locke is more gullible than ever, and is becoming a tyrant in his own right. I don't see a reconcile there.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 11:58:13 AM by *MaZ* »

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 12:01:46 PM »
Hope not. Locke is more gullible than ever, and is becoming a tyrant in his own right. I don't see a reconcile there.

Isn't he? Locke went from possibly the coolest character on the show, to a gullible, foolish dictator who you want to slap in the head with a fish just to try and get some sense knocked into him. I do love, though, that they've made Locke more complex, shown some great strengths and some amazing weaknesses in his character.

It's a good thing they killed off Echo because at least he stayed cool from beginning to end lol.

Offline *MaZ*

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 12:06:45 PM »

Isn't he? Locke went from possibly the coolest character on the show, to a gullible, foolish dictator who you want to slap in the head with a fish just to try and get some sense knocked into him. I do love, though, that they've made Locke more complex, shown some great strengths and some amazing weaknesses in his character.

It's a good thing they killed off Echo because at least he stayed cool from beginning to end lol.
Blind faith + power =  ...?

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 12:59:44 PM »

He seems to have lulls where he's Lost, then he makes a quick decision and acts on it, whether it's right or wrong.  Then the loop repeats.

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 02:28:55 PM »

unless you're trying to be sarcastic i dont see where you'd see a reconciliation between locke and jack

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 02:38:57 PM »

unless you're trying to be sarcastic i dont see where you'd see a reconciliation between locke and jack

You never know, especially if Jacob directs Locke in some way to do so down the road...

Offline surfmadpig

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 02:51:39 PM »
I think you're missing the point the Tempest reference makes.

You have this man, Prospero, stranded on an island, with a shape-changing spirit named Ariel as his servant (which also possesses free will, though). Guess what? it's his servant because he saved it from imprisonment. He magically arranges for a ship carrying people from his past to crash near the island, and separates the passengers into small groups. Then he sets things up so that the bad ones are punished, and the good ones rewarded. He's the master writer of an extremely intricate plot, and successfully makes everyone do anything he wants, although they believe it's their own choice.

It's been a few years since I last read it, but as far as I remember (also double-checked Wikipedia), it wouldn't be too far-fetched to say that

Prospero=Ben
Ship=oceanic flight 815
Ariel, the spirit= the black smoke
the passengers = well, the passengers, so we're left to find out what Ben wants with them

A long, LONG time ago I remember there was a thread on the similarities of The Tempest with the Lost island, long before we realized how manipulative Ben is. Now more evidence of Shakespearian influence arises. (and that's the only, ONLY thing I liked about this episode, sadly)

edit: and oh, yeah: smokey could have been imprisoned (or created and then imprisoned) by DHARMA for experiments, and thus Ben earns its loyalty by releasing it, either through the purge, or after it. At the same time, i do NOT believe that everything smokey does is directed by Ben. But could it be?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 03:00:12 PM by surfmadpig »

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 02:53:24 PM »
That's good!

Offline *MaZ*

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 02:55:44 PM »

You have this man, Prospero, stranded on an island, with a shape-changing spirit named Ariel as his servant (which also possesses free will, though). Guess what? it's his servant because he saved it from imprisonment. He magically arranges for a ship carrying people from his past to crash near the island, and separates the passengers into small groups. Then he sets things up so that the bad ones are punished, and the good ones rewarded. He's the master writer of an extremely intricate plot, and successfully makes everyone do anything he wants, although they believe it's their own choice.

It's been a few years since I last read it, but as far as I remember (also double-checked Wikipedia), it wouldn't be too far-fetched to say that

Prospero=Ben
Ship=oceanic flight 815
the passengers = well, the passengers, so we're left to find out what Ben wants with them

A long, LONG time ago I remember there was a thread on the similarities of The Tempest with the Lost island, long before we realized how manipulative Ben is. Now more evidence of Shakespearian influence arises. (and that's the only, ONLY thing I liked about this episode, sadly)
Nice post!
Could Prospero be Jacob? He's the list man...

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 02:57:38 PM »

Prospero=Ben
Ship=oceanic flight 815

Nice post!
Could Prospero be Jacob? He's the list man...

Hmm, I like Jacob as Prospero better...

Offline surfmadpig

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 03:01:33 PM »
WhatThe: I hear ye, and I like him better too. But at the same time, at least for now, Jacob's too much of a mystery to say so :D

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 03:11:39 PM »
WhatThe: I hear ye, and I like him better too. But at the same time, at least for now, Jacob's too much of a mystery to say so :D

True...Was there a character in The Tempest that lived in a moving, invisible shack? lol...