Author Topic: Chemical power plant?  (Read 12139 times)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Chemical power plant?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 10:35:46 AM »
I believe the overload started when Daniel started trying to disable the chemicals. His attempts started the overload.

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 10:46:46 AM »
Yeah, that's the only thing that makes sense. Ben wouldn't release a gas like that while he himself was also vulnerable to it. He doesn't seem to want everyone on the island to be killed -- just maybe a specific person here and there.  :)

Offline hefalumps

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 11:06:15 AM »
Kind of funny that Daniel can't remember three cards, but is very skilled at using a 1975ish computer to shut down a overload in a chemical plant that is unique to an island that no one has seen before.

I'm fairly convinced that Daniel has done some Desmond-time-hopping of his own since he was exposed to so much radiation during all his tests ("What do you put on your head, brother?") and that explains:

1) Why Desmond can be his constant. I don't think their brief interaction in Desmond's alternate 1996 could be enough to make Desmond "special" enough to Daniel to be Daniel's constant. Maybe they interacted in one of Daniel's time trips and became close enough that he could be his constant, and that's why he made the note in his journal. I still don't think Daniel "remembers" Desmond visiting him in 1996 - I believe that happened in an alternate timeline and that Desmond's trip to 1996 didn't change the current timeline we're in.

2) Why Daniel has trouble remembering. During Desmond's episode, there were lot of quotes like "It's not amnesia" and "Maybe you just forgot - how would that happen?" in reference to Desmond's 1996 mind not remembering anything from 2004 and Daniel on the island not remembering Desmond from 1996. Maybe the time-jumping of the mind screws with the ability to make memories. But things you knew from a long time ago are probably in tact.

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 11:19:14 AM »
Wow, this is suddenly making me want to go re-watch the movie "Memento."  :D

Offline hefalumps

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 11:26:44 AM »

I guess I haven't told you about my condition... :)

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 11:26:58 AM »
In order for Daniel to make the chemicals inert, he had to mix them. If you read the printout of what was on the screen, that seems fairly obvious. Opening the first valve would mix the two potent chemicals to a point where an explosion and release of poison gas is inevitable. He then had to mix another chemical in with it to render it inert. That was what the problem was... the second valve wouldn't respond to him (to make the show more intense as the timer counts down, no doubt).

It was probably some sort of chemical power plant... doesn't seem too improbable. Mixing chemicals together can cause enormous amounts of energy. The trick is in harnessing that energy and converting it into something useful. If they could do that, then it is possible that they could power the island easily by that.

Offline *MaZ*

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 11:32:59 AM »
Does that mean that from now on there's no more power in the island?
If Faraday rendered the chemicals inert, does that mean they don't produce energy anymore?

Offline tonysee200x

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 11:33:30 AM »
In order for Daniel to make the chemicals inert, he had to mix them. If you read the printout of what was on the screen, that seems fairly obvious. Opening the first valve would mix the two potent chemicals to a point where an explosion and release of poison gas is inevitable. He then had to mix another chemical in with it to render it inert. That was what the problem was... the second valve wouldn't respond to him (to make the show more intense as the timer counts down, no doubt).

It was probably some sort of chemical power plant... doesn't seem too improbable. Mixing chemicals together can cause enormous amounts of energy. The trick is in harnessing that energy and converting it into something useful. If they could do that, then it is possible that they could power the island easily by that.

So if this is true, has the island just lost all power?

Offline hefalumps

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 11:43:24 AM »
Does that mean that from now on there's no more power in the island?
If Faraday rendered the chemicals inert, does that mean they don't produce energy anymore?

It looked like the station still at least had emergency lighting when Jack and Juliet were embracing at the end. Maybe there were other chemicals in that plant that provide the power for the island and Daniel was just working to neutralize the ones that could be used to poison and kill everyone on the island. I can't imagine the whole island would lose power.

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 11:58:37 AM »
In the "for whom the bell tolls" flash back with Juliet and her now bloated BF, did he not say something about his importance of pressing a button at that power station and about venting gas?

Maybe the thing needed to be taken care of and some how feighty's knew this, because no one was around to take care of it since the others took off...
another "or": Charlotte's "We're saving your lives" speech with the gun in her face was just yet another cover...they really did something else...
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline Lost-N-Detroit

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 12:17:18 PM »
They are taking down the island defense systems so that when the rest of the freighter crew comes and or others they don't have to worry about this. C & D are going about the set plan for the freighter crew and Widmore. But do they know about SMOKEY?

Offline Point Place WI

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 01:02:20 PM »
Good thinking Detroit like your style.

Offline Britigger

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2008, 02:17:14 PM »
They are taking down the island defense systems so that when the rest of the freighter crew comes and or others they don't have to worry about this. C & D are going about the set plan for the freighter crew and Widmore. But do they know about SMOKEY?

Great thinking! They spent a lot of time convincing us this week that the freighties are good and Ben bad. Interstingly, the Ben/Goodwin/Juliet storyline with Ben sending Goodwin behind "enemy" lines so to speak is very reminiscent of David in the Bible sending Bathsheba's husband, Uriah, into battles in hopes of getting him killed so he could have Bathsheba.
How does this connect? Well, this obviously very very bad behavior and yet ultimately David repents and is described as a man after God's own heart.....one of the good people.
Was this a foreshadowing of the fact that Ben really "good" in the end even though seems bad now.....a favorite twist of the writers.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2008, 03:17:27 PM »

AAAAAYYYYYY!  Just had a flahback of having to watch this in a hangar in U.A.E. while it was 140 degrees.  It was our only video.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2008, 10:04:57 PM »
Wow! I agree with almost everything in this thread!

Dan and Charlotte rendered the Tempest's supply of poison gas inert which looks like a good thing. At least it's one less threat for our Losties to face.

It does take away one of Ben's/Jacob's/The Island's means of defense. But if the defense is to poison gas anybody who visits.... Well, let's just say I'm not sympathetic with that view....