Author Topic: "You look like her"  (Read 17962 times)

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: "You look like her"
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2008, 12:14:46 PM »
That's one thing I could never figure out.  When Ben was a child, seeing his mom at his barracks window.  How'd she get past the gate?

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2008, 12:16:53 PM »
That's one thing I could never figure out.  When Ben was a child, seeing his mom at his barracks window.  How'd she get past the gate?
i don't know, sort of odd isn't it?  lots of people say smokie manifests as dead people, but we know smokie couldn't get past the gate.  maybe he was just seeing things.  he is sort of weird.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2008, 05:41:08 PM »
maybe the gate was off and all of the hostile talk was to scare the dharma people into submission.........maybe they didnt know.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2008, 06:40:43 PM »
Maybe, but my bet is it was rarely turned off, especially in those daze.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2008, 08:18:43 PM »

Yeah even Richard met young Ben outside of the fence.  If it was just an image could it project past the fence.
You know something this actually dispells the fact that Ben or someone is pulling Smokey's string.  If the Dharma project was afraid of it and had the fence to protect themselves then this means it is not under the control of Ben's others.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2008, 08:50:34 PM »
It could be that the apparitions are not caused by Smokie. It could be that some are, and some aren't. It could be the fence shorted out that night, or was off for some other reason. It could be the fence wasn't completed when his Mom appeared at his window but was finished soon after.

I kinda lean towards that last hypothesis as she doesn't come through the fence to see him when he meets her there. Also, the progression of what we saw went something like: Dharma under attack; Mom visits; Ben sees Mom at live fence. Maybe no more attacks after this? So could be Dharma just got their brand spankin' new defenses up and Mom can't visit any more.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 17, 2008, 09:57:02 PM »

Yeah even Richard met young Ben outside of the fence.  If it was just an image could it project past the fence.
You know something this actually dispells the fact that Ben or someone is pulling Smokey's string.  If the Dharma project was afraid of it and had the fence to protect themselves then this means it is not under the control of Ben's others.
OR...

Smokey was being controlled by the Hostiles. Maybe at this point, Smokey turned against the Others, which is why they are in the barracks. However, the fence hasn't been turned up all the way, so maybe someone is still controlling it.

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2008, 09:15:52 PM »
i don't know, sort of odd isn't it?  lots of people say smokie manifests as dead people, but we know smokie couldn't get past the gate.  maybe he was just seeing things.  he is sort of weird.

This helps solidify my personal belief that it's not [usually] smokey appearing as these people - I really believe it's actually their ghosts, guiding their loved ones.  For example -- Ben's mom tells him not to go through the fence ("The Man Behind the Curtain"), Jack's dad leads him to the water at the caves and helps show him he can be a leader ("White Rabbit").

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2008, 10:18:17 AM »

This helps solidify my personal belief that it's not [usually] smokey appearing as these people - I really believe it's actually their ghosts, guiding their loved ones.  For example -- Ben's mom tells him not to go through the fence ("The Man Behind the Curtain"), Jack's dad leads him to the water at the caves and helps show him he can be a leader ("White Rabbit").
i like that idea.  except for the fact that christian is alive.   ;)

no really.  i rather like the idea that it is their ghosts more than smokey.  i think there is a scientific explanation for smokey, and i dont' see how a cloud of smoke can become someone & talk like them, then become someone else.  that makes no sense.  BUT for someone to see the ghost/spirit of a loved one in a stressful situation, that is more realistic (at least to me it is)

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2008, 12:22:18 PM »

Now this is one smart man/woman - this E.S.B.!  I completely agree that they are not Smokie.  But I may part ways with you in that I also think they are MORE than ghosts.   ;)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2008, 02:41:58 PM »
Remember that Richard looked surprised that Ben's mom did not die on the island. That made her vision (I can not believe we are having ghost) specail. Smokie could be the explanation for some of the visions, but not all of them. There is also much unknown about jacob, is Jacob calling this people or taking on their image. That would explain Christian in the cabin.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2008, 03:57:03 PM »
This is one area that I hesitate to even make a guess as to the explanation.  It could be anything.  I do think that a lot of us use Smokie as the possible explanation for any and every thing that isn't explained by the end of the hour.

Wouldn't it be a kick in the coconuts if, at the end, the explanation is that the island is purgatory and the visions are really their deceased loved ones guiding them to where they are going........ :o    ;) :D ;D

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2008, 05:17:37 PM »
I reckon if they were "normal" ghosts we'd see a lot more of 'em walkin' around. It's gotta have something to do with access to the bodies, I think.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2008, 10:27:26 PM »
I reckon if they were "normal" ghosts we'd see a lot more of 'em walkin' around. It's gotta have something to do with access to the bodies, I think.

Precisely!