Author Topic: So Mister Benjamin Linus..... and his buddy Smokey  (Read 17761 times)

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: So Mister Benjamin Linus..... and his buddy Smokey
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2008, 04:31:57 PM »
As some other people said before - it's Jacob, not Smokie.

Jacob is trying to protect the island, therefore he doesn't want the boat people to disable its defense system. So he tries to manipulate someone (Juliet) who has the power (gun) to stop them. He appears in the form of Harper (to whom Juliet feels in debt) and pretends to be sent by Ben (who Juliet sometimes can't help obeying) in order to stop the people from poisoning the island (another lie of Jacob).

I think the Others are just Jacob's servants. Remember Jacob's list? He wanted those children so he sent the others to get them. Hence the whispers appearing on that occasion. The whispers appear again here. We know they're connected to the others, and since they serve Jacob, they could come from Jacob.

I don't think it was really Harper because she could have easily gone and shot them herself. Furthemore, I don't see how she could communicate with Ben. I am convinced Ben had nothing to do with harper appearing. He's locked up in his bloody cell (up until now). Jacob simply used the image of Harper and the hint of Ben in order to manipulate Juliet.

Crackpot theory: what if the Tempest is actually controlling Smokie ? And by disabling it, Smokie is no more. In this case, maybe Jacob can't control Smokie, yet Smokie protects Jacob (and the island).

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2008, 04:40:31 PM »

Jacob is trying to protect the island, therefore he doesn't want the boat people to disable its defense system. So he tries to manipulate someone (Juliet) who has the power (gun) to stop them. He appears in the form of Harper (to whom Juliet feels in debt) and pretends to be sent by Ben (who Juliet sometimes can't help obeying) in order to stop the people from poisoning the island (another lie of Jacob).

I think the Others are just Jacob's servants. Remember Jacob's list? He wanted those children so he sent the others to get them. Hence the whispers appearing on that occasion. The whispers appear again here. We know they're connected to the others, and since they serve Jacob, they could come from Jacob.

I don't think it was really Harper because she could have easily gone and shot them herself. Furthemore, I don't see how she could communicate with Ben. I am convinced Ben had nothing to do with harper appearing. He's locked up in his bloody cell (up until now). Jacob simply used the image of Harper and the hint of Ben in order to manipulate Juliet.

Crackpot theory: what if the Tempest is actually controlling Smokie ? And by disabling it, Smokie is no more. In this case, maybe Jacob can't control Smokie, yet Smokie protects Jacob (and the island).

Welcome, Nomteticus!

One little hole in your crackpot theory is that if that was the end of Smokey and they didn't SHOW it - there will be a riot!  :D

Offline Hurley rocks dudes

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2008, 07:39:51 PM »
i was just glad we heard the whispers again. we haven't heard them in a while

Offline Shoeless

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2008, 08:09:55 PM »
I think Jacob controls Smokie . . .
. . . Smokie . . . just happen(s) to be headed for a section of the Island where Smokie can't go
Crackpot theory: . . . maybe Jacob can't control Smokie, yet Smokie protects Jacob (and the island).

*takes the risk of getting bashed 'cos imma noob*
Jacob's cabin is surrounded by ash, no?? 
Smokey + ashes = proof of Crackpots   :-\

*screams, pulls hair & runs off into jungle*
   :o
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 08:52:43 PM by Shoeless »

Offline Hurley rocks dudes

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2008, 09:09:59 PM »
I think Jacob controls Smokie . . .
. . . Smokie . . . just happen(s) to be headed for a section of the Island where Smokie can't go
Crackpot theory: . . . maybe Jacob can't control Smokie, yet Smokie protects Jacob (and the island).

*takes the risk of getting bashed 'cos imma noob*
Jacob's cabin is surrounded by ash, no?? 
Smokey + ashes = proof of Crackpots   :-\

*screams, pulls hair & runs off into jungle*
   :o
nice one shoeless...

smokie strikes again!!! i wonder how smart it really is?

Offline Shoeless

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2008, 09:55:42 PM »
Thanks Dude  ;D

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2008, 10:12:48 PM »
Did they forget to tell Smokey the writer's strike was over? 

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2008, 01:54:29 AM »
I'm rewatching the episode where Eko gets offed - there were no whispers in this episode. Lots of Eko hallucinating, but some of that may have been attributable to all his injuries. But Yemi just appeared to Eko - no whispers. And then he heard the mechanical noises of the smoke monster when he got his butt whooped.

What I do find interesting is that Yemi's body was gone from the plane when he started seeing visions of him all over the island. Just like Christian's body was no longer in his coffin when Jack was seeing visions of him.

I'm fairly certain the whispers are an entirely different phenomenon from Cerebrus/Smokie/the security system. They may have some kind of relation, but one does not necessarily imply the other.

I think Jacob controls Smokie and that the Others are associated with the whispers somehow. That's my theory at the moment.

So even if Harper wasn't really there, I don't think she was Smokie. I think she was something else. And I don't think Ben was controlling it.
Best post of this thread, IMO.  I agree with ESB, Lou, & others.....Harper was not Smokey.  I think that too many on this site are overgeneralizing the mysterious happenings of the Island in attributing them to Smokey!

Key piece of info to keep in mind as well..."Only fools are enslaved in time & space."  Whether Harper is alive like Walt (I assume) or dead like Charlie, I think it really was her.

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2008, 09:50:26 AM »

Interesting proposition ya got there, I do like it, tho' agree with LakLost above, is not the end of Smokie now...ensuing riots
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2008, 01:45:04 PM »

my girl PL  brings up good stuff, she points out that Harper was actually Harper, which i am kinda torn on right now, i think it was actually harper, but jacob was controlling (or allowing) her to come and go like she did, evry other time we've heard the whispers and people appear, its actually been those people, (when the kids were taken, etc)

i dont know, i have to rewatch a few past "whisper" episodes and this one again too

Offline Buddhism

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2008, 02:13:40 PM »
Rofl, Of course it was Harper! Apart from the whispers there was nothing else to suggest that "Jacob", "Smokie" or anyone other than Ben sent her!

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2008, 02:41:34 PM »

my girl PL  brings up good stuff, she points out that Harper was actually Harper, which i am kinda torn on right now, i think it was actually harper, but jacob was controlling (or allowing) her to come and go like she did, evry other time we've heard the whispers and people appear, its actually been those people, (when the kids were taken, etc)

i dont know, i have to rewatch a few past "whisper" episodes and this one again too

interesting hypothesis, please inform us on your findings...
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2008, 04:01:19 PM »
Maybe Harper was projecting herself like Walt might have done.
Mrs. Klugh asks Michael if Walt has ever been somewhere he should have been. I just rewatched 3 minutes and I think that
some people on the island can project themselves. Maybe Walt projected himself to Shannon and to Locke, and maybe the therapist did the same thing to Juliette.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2008, 07:14:39 PM »
Maybe Harper was projecting herself like Walt might have done.
Mrs. Klugh asks Michael if Walt has ever been somewhere he should have been. I just rewatched 3 minutes and I think that
some people on the island can project themselves. Maybe Walt projected himself to Shannon and to Locke, and maybe the therapist did the same thing to Juliette.

That's my whole point in mentioning "Only fools are enslaved in time & space."

btw- If she is dead, it has to have happened within the last month and a half, too.  I guess it's possible since they killed Isabel off quietly, but doubtful till we have any evidence.   

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2008, 07:45:17 PM »
Walt is special so I could buy some sort of projection in his case, but we've seen no evidence that any of the Others have this kind of ability. At least not yet.

I'm pretty sure Tom or Ryan mentioned Isabel as a casualty when talking to Ben in the S3 Finale.

I agree that if Harper is dead it has to be recent. She was certainly alive when the plane crashed and apparently alive when Ben and Juliet went to visit Goodwin's remains.