Poll

Was the Constant the Best Episode of Lost so far?

Yes
31 (40.3%)
No
17 (22.1%)
Maybe
12 (15.6%)
It was the best of this season so far.
17 (22.1%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: Was the Constant the Best Episode of Lost so far?  (Read 14518 times)

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: Was the Constant the Best Episode of Lost so far?
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2008, 08:47:40 AM »
I dunno if it was worth $5, but is pretty freaking good....

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2008, 10:05:13 AM »
THis was not close to the best episode ever. In fact it was the worst of the season.

My reasons why.

1) It was sort of boring. Did not have many of the Losties in the stroy. Was only focused on one small aspect of the overall story line.

2) Kind of tired of the Desmond/Penny love affair that never goes anywhere. Not likely that she is going to be fighting all these years for this non commital un focused person.

3) We did not learn much new information. Penny is looking for Des, we knew that since the end of season 2, and we know she talked to Charlie. Old news.

4) THis whole mind time traveling thing was brought in and completed in one episode. He found his constant and he is cured. Big whoopee do. this leads me to my most important point...

5) This episode is going to lead to more far out, unjustifiable theories that will all be proven false because they have no basis in what we have seen. This happened to Desmond and it is over. He will not have the ability to do it at will. It will not happen to everyone. (examples Sayid, the pilot) And Ben is not using this ability to know what other people are going to do.

It was good, not great. Just because an episode is out there and a little confusing, it is not automatically a great episode.

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2008, 12:25:05 PM »
In a way I think it explains Jack's weird behavior in his flash forward episode when he told the chief of surgery to find Christian and see if Jack is drunker than Christian.  Jack is bouncing around in time, too.  I think everyone who leaves the island will experience some degree of past/present/future confusion. 

I actually think that's a great point.
YES!!! SOL, you are so smart!!  And his constant would be Kate??

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2008, 12:37:27 PM »
In a way I think it explains Jack's weird behavior in his flash forward episode when he told the chief of surgery to find Christian and see if Jack is drunker than Christian.  Jack is bouncing around in time, too.  I think everyone who leaves the island will experience some degree of past/present/future confusion. 

I actually think that's a great point.
YES!!! SOL, you are so smart!!  And his constant would be Kate??

It is a nice point, but one that will turn out to be false. There is zero evidence that it happens to everyone. Sayid and the pilot were just fine. All evidence points the fact that it happens fast and if you do not cure it (your constant) you die very quickly. So the evidence points to Jack not having the same issues as desmond, and that he is not flashing is mind.

Blackrock Bob

« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2008, 12:46:58 PM »
I agree with Juggy on one point: Desmond is special with the time jumping.
Remember Daniel asking clueless cry-baby Jack if Desmond had been exposed to radiation?

No one else has been exposed to that much radiation except Desmond from the Swan, and maybe Daniel. That lead apron didn't protect his head, like Des said.

I think Jack's slip into a downward spiral has more to do with leaving the island. I still think he is haunted by Christian or maybe Claire.
Something happens for Kate to end up with Aaron, and it has Jack freaked out to see the baby. Whether or not he knows that it is his nephew.

I love Lost because some of us can see an episode and say it's the best ever, and others say it stunk. Then the next week we switch sides sometimes.

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2008, 12:51:07 PM »
I agree with Juggy on one point: Desmond is special with the time jumping.
Remember Daniel asking clueless cry-baby Jack if Desmond had been exposed to radiation?

No one else has been exposed to that much radiation except Desmond from the Swan, and maybe Daniel. That lead apron didn't protect his head, like Des said.

I think Jack's slip into a downward spiral has more to do with leaving the island. I still think he is haunted by Christian or maybe Claire.
Something happens for Kate to end up with Aaron, and it has Jack freaked out to see the baby. Whether or not he knows that it is his nephew.

I love Lost because some of us can see an episode and say it's the best ever, and others say it stunk. Then the next week we switch sides sometimes.
Amen brutha!!

I see what Juggy is saying and it makes sense about Jack...it would just be cool if that was what was happenning to him instead of completely going off the deep end.  Although, now that I am typing this I recall tptb said they want to get to crazy jack in the future.

Offline Point Place WI

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2008, 12:59:48 PM »
THis was not close to the best episode ever. In fact it was the worst of the season.

My reasons why.

1) It was sort of boring. Did not have many of the Losties in the stroy. Was only focused on one small aspect of the overall story line.

2) Kind of tired of the Desmond/Penny love affair that never goes anywhere. Not likely that she is going to be fighting all these years for this non commital un focused person.

3) We did not learn much new information. Penny is looking for Des, we knew that since the end of season 2, and we know she talked to Charlie. Old news.

4) THis whole mind time traveling thing was brought in and completed in one episode. He found his constant and he is cured. Big whoopee do. this leads me to my most important point...

5) This episode is going to lead to more far out, unjustifiable theories that will all be proven false because they have no basis in what we have seen. This happened to Desmond and it is over. He will not have the ability to do it at will. It will not happen to everyone. (examples Sayid, the pilot) And Ben is not using this ability to know what other people are going to do.

It was good, not great. Just because an episode is out there and a little confusing, it is not automatically a great episode.

This is why I love Jugdish's posts.  If I could have had this dude as a teacher I would have never missed a class.  I would buy this guy a coffee or beer anytime. 
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 01:46:14 PM by Point Place WI »

Offline FoxyMama

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2008, 01:09:17 PM »
For me it was the best, without a doubt.  I don't even have to go back and rethink past episodes.  Some of the earlier episodes were excellent because they were so intriguing, so mysterious, and so open-ended to your own interpretations and explanations.  Now we're getting to the point in the story where the writers have to start explaining things, unravelling the mystery, and for some people, the answers aren't going to work.  I think if you're wanting everything that's happened so far on and off the island to be explained away by hard, prove-able scientific facts, you are watching the wrong show.

And I don't mean to be rude by saying that.  There are just (to me at least) WAY to many WAY out there things going on.

thank you for saying this, far too many people are losing their "willing suspension of disbelief" and getting mad at the show.

i think this was the best episode of this show so far. i liked this season alot so far, but i felt they were kinda getting away from the mystery portion of it and this brought it back with a vengence.

Very well put, both of you!  Having the "willing suspension of disbelief" is important for a show as fun as this one!   :D

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2008, 01:39:28 PM »
It's interesting how different people can watch the same episode and feel completely opposite about it.

I've never really been a fan of sci-fi in any capacity but I'm not letting it ruin my feelings for LOST.  I just can't bring myself to stop loving this show.  I did think it was one of the best ones so far this season.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2008, 01:50:37 PM »

My reasons why.

This is why I love Jugdish's posts.  If I could have had this dude as a teacher I would have never missed a class.  I would buy this guy a coffee or beer anytime. 

I will take the beer. I am a High Life guy.

I want to repeat that I did not hate the episode. I was entertained, I just did not think it was great or that earth shattering. As many people have posted, a bad episode of Lost is better than any other show.

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2008, 02:05:11 PM »
What did Jess say?  Like cold pizza and sex Lost is always good :D

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2008, 02:10:46 PM »

See we agree

Offline surfmadpig

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2008, 02:10:53 PM »
It IS the best episode so far.

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2008, 02:25:40 PM »

See we agree

I either fully agree with you or fully disagree with you :P :-*

Offline General Zod

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2008, 03:36:20 PM »
I think it was my favorite episode ever.  Desmond is my favorite Lostie and anytime he's on, he steals the scene.  I think it's great that they could add a character like him even though he wasn't in Season 1 at all.  Go Desmond!!!!!!!!!