Author Topic: Perspective of time?  (Read 2680 times)

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Perspective of time?
« on: February 28, 2008, 11:50:06 PM »
We know that they have been on the island for 95 days now from Jack and other Losties count.
The crash was Sep 22nd 2004
The calender was Dec 24th 2004 on the boat and at Penny's house.
Thats 95 days right? I'm too lazy to check.

So when the Chopper leaves and flies for 20 min or so, it is over a day for the island and from dusk to midday for Sayid and passengers.
WTF is going on??

Offline *MaZ*

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Perspective of time?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 11:54:21 PM »
I think the coordinate that are being used to get to the island are the way into a "worm hole" of some sort. Takes only a few minutes, but the perception of time outside of it is completely different. I'm starting to think this worm hole is the only way to the island, thus nobody sees it.

Offline Foxyschic

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 11:58:40 PM »
I was really interested in this too. They landed at mid-day.  At mid-day of the same day? The previous day? The next day?

They said that it should have taken 20 minutes. And to those on the helicopter, it felt like a short time. But, a good deal of time actually passed while they were flying. (For both the boat and the island, right?)

Offline Savior

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 12:00:30 AM »
They made sure we knew it seemed longer to the people on the island, but I did not catch any reference to the boat people thinking it took longer.

Offline *MaZ*

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 12:01:46 AM »
...And to those on the helicopter, it felt like a short time. But, a good deal of time actually passed while they were flying. (For both the boat and the island, right?)

Right. The worm hole is a short cut through time. Helicopter time will be shorter than island or freighter time. Which are at the same time frame.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 12:02:32 AM »
I dont think they called the boat and said were coming in. So the boat would not know the take off time.

Offline madmax22e

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 12:02:54 AM »
black rock = black hole

When something enters a blackhole, supposedly it looks like it never gets to the center if you watch from a distance. the people going into the black hole however it goes fast.

Offline Foxyschic

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 12:03:41 AM »
They made sure we knew it seemed longer to the people on the island, but I did not catch any reference to the boat people thinking it took longer.
They DID call the boat in the last episode, remember? They called and asked if their friends had landed yet!

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 12:04:42 AM »
black rock = black hole

When something enters a blackhole, supposedly it looks like it never gets to the center if you watch from a distance. the people going into the black hole however it goes fast.

I think it is backwards.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 12:06:22 AM »
They DID call the boat in the last episode, remember? They called and asked if their friends had landed yet!

Oh yeah but that conversation took place before the Fantastic 4 left the boat. LOL ;)

Offline *MaZ*

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 12:07:03 AM »
Quick research:
Wormholes and Time travel
I have mentioned in passing that they have an inner event horizon and an outer event horizon. Which horizon you are in depends on which way you are orbiting the black hole. Technically, if you are in the outer event horizon, you are trapped, condemned to drop into the black hole. However, because there is also an inner event horizon, if you are travelling in the opposite direction, you could be saved if you sort of turned around quickly enough.

Of course, reality does not like being made a fool of, so the theorists said that you would probably escape from a black hole, but you would possibly end up in a totally new universe or even stranger, maybe end up somewhere totally different in space time. So they decided that a Black hole is a sort of  shortcut through space time. And hence you can call it a wormhole.
Science fiction writers just loved this though. Finally there looked like something that could make space travel look possible after Einstein put his ridiculous speed of light limit.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 12:08:43 AM by *MaZ* »

Offline Savior

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 12:07:11 AM »

But that still only implies that the island people think it has been longer.  

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 02:23:50 PM »
...And to those on the helicopter, it felt like a short time. But, a good deal of time actually passed while they were flying. (For both the boat and the island, right?)

Right. The worm hole is a short cut through time. Helicopter time will be shorter than island or freighter time. Which are at the same time frame.

Agreed as to the island time and freighter time being longer, but the 'wormhole' isn't a shortcut.  It took them more than a day to arrive at a place 20 minutes or so away.  The 'wormhole' is more of a slowdown in time, although they didn't feel the drag while inside.

Another possibility is that in the outside world (and on the island) time is speeding up, unbeknownst to all of us, and inside the wormhole, time is pass as it should.  I only mention this because daniel told Jack and Juliet, "Your perception of how long your friends have been gone may not be how long they have 'actually' been gone".  Small technical difference, but I thought I'd mention it.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 07:10:18 PM »
I posted this elsewhere a couple of days ago but we have more evidence now.

It looks to me like coming from the island, there is a time dilation effect so that what seems like a few minutes to the traveler seems a lot longer to the outside world. And by outside world I mean both on and off the island.

Going to the island it looks like the time dilation goes the other way. Hence the rocket's timer shows more elapsed time than the timer on the island.

It's likely that the island's "natural" electromagnetic anomalies are somehow causing this. A wormhole is as good a guess as any for the precise mechanism.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 01:22:30 AM »
I posted this elsewhere a couple of days ago but we have more evidence now.

It looks to me like coming from the island, there is a time dilation effect so that what seems like a few minutes to the traveler seems a lot longer to the outside world. And by outside world I mean both on and off the island.

Going to the island it looks like the time dilation goes the other way. Hence the rocket's timer shows more elapsed time than the timer on the island.
It's likely that the island's "natural" electromagnetic anomalies are somehow causing this. A wormhole is as good a guess as any for the precise mechanism.

I hadn't realised that the rockets timer was the one with more elapsed time, or it didn't sink in until now.  So now I'm confused, if the effect is opposite when approaching the island, shouldn't the rocket have arrived in the expected 27 seconds only to show that 31 minutes passed on the clock?  This is why I can't stand stories involving any kind of time travel or time warp, they never completely make sense.  I miss Smokie!   :'(