Author Topic: Dude, that sucked  (Read 5702 times)

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Dude, that sucked
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2008, 12:19:18 PM »
One other complaint, if only their consciousness can travel through time, how did the bunny in the Orchid video (which TPTB have said will be included in the show) end up in the same place at the same time twice?

Blackrock Bob

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2008, 12:48:53 PM »
One other complaint, if only their consciousness can travel through time, how did the bunny in the Orchid video (which TPTB have said will be included in the show) end up in the same place at the same time twice?

The orchid isn't cannon. If we see it, then hopefully we'll get real answers about it. I am not sure if the energy at the orchid is the same as what Desmond experienced at the Swan and what Daniel used on the mouse.

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2008, 01:14:49 PM »
might be the force used to trigger....mouse+radiation=death quick....

des+freaky magneto-storm+VioletLight&hum=go mad, die slow till constant found

two bunnies....as yet unnamed force.....
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2008, 01:26:02 PM »
mssr Blackrock, he may be dead...but there is something about Kelvin.....kind of like there was something about mary, just different and not really related.....damn, i tripped on another Singularity....

F. Bacon

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2008, 02:18:47 PM »
They explained it on the episodes. Daniel asked Jack and Juliet if Desmond had recently been exposed to a larfe magnetic source. He had when he turned the failsafe key. The pilot could not keep the exact path because of the storm, so Desmond was affected by not staying on the exact path and being in the hatch implosion. Yes the traveling from the island triggered it.

Now that's interesting!  I thought the pilot DID stay on the exact path, and that the "storm" was part of the "island defense system" or something -- that they HAD to go through the "storm" in order to make it through the worm-hole or whatever...  but that yes, Desmond was affected while others were not because of his exposure to the electromagnetism from the failsafe incident.  I thought that going through the storm was part of staying on-course.  (I love this forum -- so many different ideas and takes on stuff!)

Good question.  Maybe Bunny 15 was just a fluke, freak accident that they haven't managed to replicate yet?  Or maybe they can do it with animals but not humans?  Faraday's rat Eloise only travelled in her consciousness apparently, so maybe it's something special with the island's properties that only there can the entire creature be transported.

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2008, 02:41:10 PM »
They explained it on the episodes. Daniel asked Jack and Juliet if Desmond had recently been exposed to a larfe magnetic source. He had when he turned the failsafe key. The pilot could not keep the exact path because of the storm, so Desmond was affected by not staying on the exact path and being in the hatch implosion. Yes the traveling from the island triggered it.

Now that's interesting!  I thought the pilot DID stay on the exact path, and that the "storm" was part of the "island defense system" or something -- that they HAD to go through the "storm" in order to make it through the worm-hole or whatever...  but that yes, Desmond was affected while others were not because of his exposure to the electromagnetism from the failsafe incident.  I thought that going through the storm was part of staying on-course.  (I love this forum -- so many different ideas and takes on stuff!)

Good question.  Maybe Bunny 15 was just a fluke, freak accident that they haven't managed to replicate yet?  Or maybe they can do it with animals but not humans?  Faraday's rat Eloise only travelled in her consciousness apparently, so maybe it's something special with the island's properties that only there can the entire creature be transported.
bunny travelled on the island right? maybe only on the island "bodies" can travel....hmmmm

"(I love this forum -- so many different ideas and takes on stuff!)"

That, madam p, is the essence, i echo your words!  all knowledge floats around in the ether (akashic records)...pluck from it as thou wilt....
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 02:45:25 PM by Staggerlee »

F. Bacon

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2008, 03:05:21 PM »
Actually, Frank did deviate slightly from the ordered past. as the chopper was getting buffeted by the storm, you can see the compass needle waver slightly then Desmond had his mind trip (let's do the Time Warp again!)  ;D

I thought it was a great episode which leaves another question - wasn't Locke also in the hatch when it imploded? So, if he were to leave the island would he experience the same thing until his mind exploded as he has no anchor but the island?  Charlie and Eko were in close proximity so they might be affected as well if they weren't dead.....

I like the idea of limited time travel which just adds another element to the island's mysteries. Dan seemed as flaky in the past as he was in the present which would be his future when looking from the past.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2008, 03:08:27 PM »
Actually, Frank did deviate slightly from the ordered past. as the chopper was getting buffeted by the storm, you can see the compass needle waver slightly then Desmond had his mind trip (let's do the Time Warp again!)  ;D

Ah!  Thanks!  I missed that - there was a lot of bouncing going on and I didn't notice that the direction changed.  Off to re-watch...

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2008, 03:09:56 PM »
Dan seemed as flaky in the past as he was in the present which would be his future when looking from the past.

Who's on first.....I don't know........third base!

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2008, 03:34:51 PM »
this is the first time they have actually made "traveling to and from the island" the main character of the story. Locke isnt "one" with the island, Desmond is. If you want to know the island, look at des.

Des did not travel to and from the island. First of all he was not on the island. THis had to do with the effects of traveling from the island, in getting away from it. Second Des did not travel, but his conscious did.

Well, he did travel some -- he travelled from the island in the helicopter, where they encountered (something? did lightning actually strike them?) which triggered the "travelling" of his consciousness.  I got the impression that if he hadn't travelled from the island (going through that thunderhead or whatever it was), that he wouldn't have done the time-travel.

Face it, Juggy.  You HATE the idea of time travel.  You have refused the notion as long as I can remember.  You even threatened once, that you would quit the forum if the show went in that direction.  I'm asking you to stay, but just accept that which some of us have suggested for over two years.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2008, 07:33:17 PM »
Wow, lots to talk about here.

There are lots of SF theories of time travel. The one that the Powers seem to be selling us is that you can go back in time and change the past, but the universe course corrects. You can save Charlie, but only for so long. A mouse can learn a maze before you teach it to her, but then she dies so no ill effects. You're visited by a crazed Scot from the future, but then you forget about him. So no long term changes. If you buy this then Dan was exaggerating slightly (or partly wrong) when he said the future can't be changed.

I agree with Juggie that Des was especially susceptible 'cause of his presence at ground zero when the hatch imploded.

All we've seen so far on the show is a mammal's consciouness time traveling, but the Orchid video sure does look like a whole body following along. And the Powers have said that the Orchid is canon. So maybe we will see whole bodies moving later in the show. OTOH, maybe the Orchid is showing us something else entirely. E.g. a copy being teleported.