Author Topic: Flashback? Time travel?  (Read 7652 times)

Offline Foxyschic

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Flashback? Time travel?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 11:39:01 PM »
so was it 2004 desmond traveling to 1996?  or 1996 traveling to 2004? 
[/quote]

I think the reason that it is classified as time travel, is because it was Desmond's same consciousness that was in both times. He was actually <living> in both of those times.

And I think the answer to this question is that it was 1996 Desmond traveling to 2004.  They asked him what year he thought it was. He only had 1996 memories. But, the "anchor" seemed to keep 1996 Desmond's consciousness in 1996, and allow 2004 Desmond's memories to come flowing back. (It was almost like his mind and body were taken over by an earlier version of himself. Kinda like trying to load an earlier version of Windows without completely wiping out XP!)

Offline E.S.B.

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 11:39:32 PM »
I think it's okay if we want to believe it really is time travel or if it's just his brain shorting out and him reliving something that happened before.  I think the story still works.  I don't like that they went down the time-travel path, but I think they are making it work, to some extent.  The story is about the characters, and in this case it's about Desmond - his story is tied into the idea of people existing in space and in time, and somehow he has found that through all time there is one thing that can hold him together, no matter what happens.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 11:41:44 PM »
But Desmond's body was not time traveling just his conscience, little easier to swallow then whole body time traveling

I think it's harder to believe then the whole body.
why?  neither are actually possible.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 11:44:07 PM »
As Juggy said.

The "time travel" is NOT time travel. The consciousness is switching back and forth. Remember when Minkowski blanked out? His consciousness was in another time. This also explains why they need a constant. It's a mental constant. Something for the mind to hold on to. If your entire body was time jumping, your body would get worn down. In this case, the mind was being stressed to its max due to the consciousness jumping. This stress is what killed the rat and George. The constant releases the stress and avoids the pain.

TPTB said no time travel and they meant it. From Flashes, it all makes sense now. Des didn't go back in time, but his consciousness did.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 11:45:48 PM »
As Juggy said.

The "time travel" is NOT time travel. The consciousness is switching back and forth. Remember when Minkowski blanked out? His consciousness was in another time. This also explains why they need a constant. It's a mental constant. Something for the mind to hold on to. If your entire body was time jumping, your body would get worn down. In this case, the mind was being stressed to its max due to the consciousness jumping. This stress is what killed the rat and George. The constant releases the stress and avoids the pain.

TPTB said no time travel and they meant it. From Flashes, it all makes sense now. Des didn't go back in time, but his consciousness did.
amen brotha!  i think we just found something you and juggy can agree on!  throw a PARTY!!

Offline losttill0208

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 11:48:36 PM »
It's really confusing though.. The past was changed as well as the future.. Isn't that what Mrs Hawking was saying couldn't be done?

Offline *MaZ*

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 11:50:08 PM »
As Juggy said.

In a nutshell! Well put!

Offline Foxyschic

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2008, 11:54:53 PM »
It's really confusing though.. The past was changed as well as the future.. Isn't that what Mrs Hawking was saying couldn't be done?

Or was she saying it SHOULDN'T be done?  I think she meant that there were certain unavoidable events that would happen, maybe slightly differently, but that they would still happen...

Offline maximus

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 12:06:04 AM »

I guess I missed what part of the past and/or future was changed???

And as far as if it was 1996 Desmond or 2004 Desmond traveling, does it matter?  Are they not the same?  In a hypothetical time-traveling reality, time is not necessarily linear, right?  Or was I not paying attention in 11th grade Hypothetical Science?  Both Desmonds (1996 and 2004 versions) exist simultaneously.

Either way, this was my #1 favorite episode so far.

Blackrock Bob

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2008, 12:08:46 AM »
But Desmond's body was not time traveling just his conscience, little easier to swallow then whole body time traveling

Point taken, and that is why I've reversed my opinion. Des's flashes on the island are just jumbled, he doesn't know what the whole picture is, to paraphrase him. No real time travel. No back to the future, or even quantum leap.

Offline jdwm73

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2008, 12:15:34 AM »
If you are interested in a theory, and you look around the board posts from last week, in the spoiler area, you will find a link to a physicist that has a theory on the "time jumping".  Ill just leave it at that as it is a spoiler. no as much however,  after tonight's episode.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2008, 01:01:21 AM »
i love how people can accept a smoke monster, a four toed statue, a black box that can bring whatever you want and a cabin that jumps around with a guy in a chair that only certain people can see, but time travel is too much to accept.

Offline Savior

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2008, 01:03:21 AM »
I believe everything except for the 4 toes.  Pshaw, reeeecolaaa, ridiculous! ;D

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2008, 02:29:40 AM »
It's time travel.  That's like saying Dr. Samuel Beckett wasn't time traveling in Quantum Leap.  If you're conscious in a different time and place, then you've traveled between the two.  Especially since Desmond will basically fall unconscious and cease to exist in his previous body when he traveled to the other.  I don't know what else you'd call it, but I think it would just be a more clever way of saying time travel.

Offline Sammy_G

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2008, 02:50:35 AM »
I think everyone is forgetting that the copter with Sayid, desmond, and the pilot (fayhey) started off at dusk and arrived during the morning.  They time traveled while they were flying.  a day or so went by on the island but only 20 minutes on the copter.