Author Topic: "I just want this to be over"  (Read 7787 times)

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
"I just want this to be over"
« on: February 22, 2008, 07:55:56 PM »
I think it was odd how Kate jumped at the deal so fast.

At first I just thought she was tired of running an just wanted to settle down as the scene suggested.

But then I started to think maybe Desmond told her of a vision in which something significant will happen and one of the flashes is Kate not serving time. Thus she put the next flash into motion. Maybe ending with the safety of the rest of the Losties or something.

Or I am just reading way too much into it.

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: "I just want this to be over"
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 07:59:19 PM »
I think it was odd how Kate jumped at the deal so fast.

At first I just thought she was tired of running an just wanted to settle down as the scene suggested.

But then I started to think maybe Desmond told her of a vision in which something significant will happen and one of the flashes is Kate not serving time. Thus she put the next flash into motion. Maybe ending with the safety of the rest of the Losties or something.

Or I am just reading way too much into it.

I thought it was odd, as well.  Basically, if your lawyer can get you an even better deal, then keep your mouth shut, but she not only jumped in, she demanded to take the deal so that it was "over".  I don't know about the Desmond part, but something was definitely driving her to jump on that deal.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 11:16:08 PM »
I was a little surprised too. She might just have been worried her mom would change her mind if given time. Or she might be looking for an extra reason to quell her wanderlust.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 12:31:10 AM »
Wonder if her mom would "know" in her heart that the baby wasn't hers.  Using that mom power they have.

Offline jumbotron

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 12:43:07 AM »
I think she simply wanted to get back to Aaron.  She had been incarcerated for at least a week (in reality it would have been months) and she missed the kid. 

She wanted ANY deal that didn't involve jail time because she is responsible for Aaron.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 12:51:28 AM »
Ya know, it probably is just as simple as that!  ;)

Offline Roman122

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 05:36:33 AM »
My first impression for when she jumped at the deal was that she did so because of the 10 years probation and not being able to leave the state. The first thought I had was "she wants to make sure she can't go back to the island". Maybe she knows as well that "it wants them back" and was looking for a way to be out of jail and yet off the island... a bit of a stretch, but it was my first thought

Blackrock Bob

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 09:47:30 AM »
So far all of the O6 (except for Aaron) are acting different than they were before the crash.

Jack is drinking/popping pills on the job - Not a model surgeon
Hurley is confined - Not free
Sayid is a murderer - Not going straight
Kate is stable and confined (in one state) - Can't run

So for Kate to say she just wants it to be over so that she can live her normal stable life as a mom.

Offline gmstudio

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 11:38:17 AM »
The first thought I had was "she wants to make sure she can't go back to the island".

That's a great idea. I hadn't thought of that.

Offline HanginWithMrEko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 12:49:04 PM »
I agree with Roman... the deal was that she can't leave the state, which makes her stable and unable to go back to the island, or even travel. The whole sequence was odd, but her jumping at that offer makes sense when you dont want to go anywhere

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 02:36:27 PM »
I'm down with that too.  Plus she can take off anyway if she wants to and nobody but her parole officer would initially be aware.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
Kate may change, a baby will do that to you, but old Kate would have no trouble breaking the rules. She'd wait twenty minutes and then do what she wanted.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 05:25:46 PM »
Kate may change, a baby will do that to you, but old Kate would have no trouble breaking the rules. She'd wait twenty minutes and then do what she wanted.

Oh yeah, I thought that too after she took the deal. I figure she's not going to stay in California for the rest of the show, so she's going to whined up a fugitive again a some point. I'm not saying thats what she intends to do from the start, but Jack is right, they have to go back to the island.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 05:41:37 PM »
Yup!!

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 07:59:12 PM »
I agree that she took the deal to take away the impending temptation to return to the Island.
So far we have seen Jack (S03 finale) and Hurley (S04E01) state that they 'have to go back' to the Island, if the underlying reasoning for this temptation to return is due to guilt then Kate knows that ultimatley this guilt will overwhelm her enough to feel the need to return, for whatever reason.
By taking the deal and the 10 year probation she is over-riding this temptation by making it not only illegal to return but also morally impossible now that she is Aaron's mother/ guardian.