Author Topic: Locke's reaction to Ben.... Again  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Swank13

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Locke's reaction to Ben.... Again
« on: February 22, 2008, 10:40:30 AM »
I found it very interesting that Locke had an almost identical reaction to Ben messing with him while locked in a room as he  did when he was in the Hatch.  I mean the breaking of dishes and general frustration.  Is Locke messing with Ben this time to make him feel in control of the situation or where his actions genuine?

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Locke's reaction to Ben.... Again
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 10:56:52 AM »
Locke's messed up, bless his heart...it was genuine.

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 10:59:44 AM »
I found it very interesting that Locke had an almost identical reaction to Ben messing with him while locked in a room as he  did when he was in the Hatch.  I mean the breaking of dishes and general frustration.  Is Locke messing with Ben this time to make him feel in control of the situation or where his actions genuine?

I'd love to think Locke was tryiong to fool ben, but I think it was genuine also,

I dont know why he couldnt have just called ben names under his breath to get out the frustration, you tghink he would have learned a lesson, Ben seemed quite pleased to disturb him again.

Blackrock Bob

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 11:30:27 AM »
Ben got Locke and Jack to fight when he was locked up in the Swan.
Ben is a master manipulator and is the puppet master trying to pull Locke's strings.

Don't forget that Locke has always had an anger problem. Ben knows this from Locke's background and will use it to his advantage.

Offline Walkabout

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 12:16:48 PM »
The Island allows Locke to walk but it did nothing for his mental capabilities. Remember he was duped for a kidney and even asked a phone sex operator to go on vacation with him. Ben is far superior intellectually and it shows.

Offline msdoran

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 12:31:48 PM »

Locke is struggling to retain his leadership. He is rushing into being the islands defender way too quickly, and without enough knowledge.

Ben has been there since adolescence. He has spent most of his adult life on the island, and the saying is true "Knowledge is power", and he is laughing at John trying to usurp his role, though he does feel threatened (shooting him and leaving him for dead).

He knows that Locke is struggling for a clear sign of distraction, and he knows that Locke is desperate to remain the de facto leader of the group, which was confirmed when he questioned Sawyer about the groups mood.

Locke is too passionate unfortunately (which I can relate to), It is certain that ben heard him crash the dish outside his cell. If he was smart he would head over to the rec center and work out or something, not show any outward signs of emotion.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 01:23:29 PM »
I think eventually Locke will lose his control of the situation and in the end, at another dead end, he will be forced to sacrifice himself for the island.

I love how Ben always outplays Locke and stays so cool about it.  Notice how, tied to a chair with the enemy in front of him, he casually asks for an extension of a week to get Miles his money.  No worries!

BTW, did anyone see the cement wall shake when Locke threw the tray at it?!  Hysterical!  maybe it's a hidden doorway to the magic box!  :D

Offline dragonflyk

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 04:17:27 PM »
I agree with everyone here...I do not think he was putting on an act, trying to "fool" Ben. I really think he was truly frustrated because he isn't in control of anything...
He only has a false sense of control. Every time he thinks he is on the right path, something goes wrong. (Like going to the cabin and not seeing it, having Miles in the boathouse and no one else knowing...etc) He always wants to be in the know, but never finds out anything.
I think this role that he believes he is in, will ultimately be his downfall.

I believe that Locke has good intentions, but the way he is going about everything is all wrong.

Just my $.02...or $.03 :P

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 05:08:09 PM »
Dang it, you git the island redneck to do in dear 'old Dad, yet ya still feel ya gotta prove to him dat you the man. What with all this in-fo-ma-shun ya gotta git to run this place? Why don't no one tell me what's I needs ta know?

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 07:12:43 PM »
Dang it, you git the island redneck to do in dear 'old Dad, yet ya still feel ya gotta prove to him dat you the man. What with all this in-fo-ma-shun ya gotta git to run this place? Why don't no one tell me what's I needs ta know?

LOA's gone hillbilly!  :D

I'm not sure that Locke is only frustrated because he doesn't know what to do.  I think he is carrying the prophet's burden of having had an encounter with the deity (Eye of the Island) and not able to break through to his converts (the other Losties), his foil personality (Jack) or his nemesis (Ben).  I think Locke knows what has to be done - he's always been a capable and diligent worker.  But he is impatient and angry to get some success. 

Offline Walkabout

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 08:00:20 AM »

LOA's gone hillbilly!  :D

I'm not sure that Locke is only frustrated because he doesn't know what to do.  I think he is carrying the prophet's burden of having had an encounter with the deity (Eye of the Island) and not able to break through to his converts (the other Losties), his foil personality (Jack) or his nemesis (Ben).  I think Locke knows what has to be done - he's always been a capable and diligent worker.  But he is impatient and angry to get some success. 

I think we all have missed the point. Locke doesn't seem to get it. Ironically it is all about faith and he proclaims to be man of it. If we recognize The Island as a Diety then we also understand you just have to believe. Remember almost all "religous" teachings say to pray for acceptance not understanding because true faith is not grounded in understanding and is rewarded for "just" believing.. When Locke seeks "answers" about The Island he always is LOST as Ben says. Locke has received "blessings" from The Island but simply cannot accept it as a gift of faith. He is more consumed with understanding the workings of The Island than protecting it from the Freighties. He disguises his journey for "Island Enlightenment" with the notion of protecting his "Lostie Flock". Oddly enough that makes him perversely similar to the Freighties. Maybe John should walk blindfolded because then he might truly be able to see.