Author Topic: Locke, Miles and the Grenade  (Read 10593 times)

Offline KateReallyLovesJack

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Locke, Miles and the Grenade
« on: February 22, 2008, 03:11:33 AM »
All I can say is holy crap!
I thought that it was bad when Jack pulled the trigger with the gun to Locke's head... but this is something else altogether! But he sure is on to something, it's quite a way to shut somebody up!  :-\

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Locke, Miles and the Grenade
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 03:20:52 AM »
I thought that it was bad when Jack pulled the trigger with the gun to Locke's head... but this is something else altogether! But he sure is on to something, it's quite a way to shut somebody up!  :-\

The gun that Jack took from Locke and tried to shoot him with wasn't loaded.  Could the grenade be inert?  It seems unspeakably cruel to stuff an armed grenade into anyone's mouth and just walk away.  It's torture both physically and mentally.  And, if Miles blows up Locke will never find out what he wants to know.  I didn't like that scene very much.

Offline KateReallyLovesJack

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 03:24:35 AM »
Well, Locke is obviously trying to torture him... didn't he say something about punishment? I can't remember that line at all...

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 03:28:48 AM »
Something like "What's the point of having rules if there's no punishment?"

Offline jumbotron

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 03:45:09 AM »
When I watched this scene for the first time I said to my wife... "what an a**hole!"  I used to love Locke,  what happened to the guy who couldn't kill his bastard of a father.  Blowing up submarines and communication buildings is one thing but cold blooded killing is another.  If Miles blows his head off Locke is no better than any other murdering SOB on the island, and yes that is a LONG list.  I love these characters but most of them belong in jail.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 04:05:53 AM »
Yeah. Kindofa rude thing to do.  Probably not a live grenade tho.  But I see where they're going with this.  Locke is at a dead end.  What he's doing is making his own luck.  Taking a bold move.  Otherwise these two obstinate players - Miles & Ben - won't make a move, and it'll remain a stalemate that Locke can't afford to wait out (seeing how it didn't take a day for Kate to upset the chessboard).  I'm rooting for the guy.

Offline uofapiglet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 04:07:20 AM »
I feel really lame quoting myself, but I really was too lazy to retype everything I said in the other thread...

It's funny you posted this cuz when I was watching the episode I had to ask myself, "There's a boathouse??". So there's a body of water near the houses in the barracks? I'm guessing just another new venue or possible escape route, whatever... nothing too important.

But if Miles isn't careful, the boathouse will just end up being another thing we can archive under the file "Things That Locke Blew Up".

On a sidenote however, should Miles blow up in the boathouse we'll never find out why he was blackmailing Ben. I'm hoping he stays alive and actually talks to Locke. And wonder what Ben will do too, maybe just piss off Locke a little more.

Basically, Locke took a big risk... hoping Miles doesn't blow up, he is an interesting character and would make a useful informant... however, I would have trust issues seeing as he was so ready to give up the mission and lie about Ben for money...

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 04:26:13 AM »
I'm guessing the grenade is a dud. It's a great mind torture, but I don't think Locke would risk killing him. He seems to want information more than anything.

I'm reminded of the scene a little while back, where Jack stole the gun from Locke and pulled the trigger, but it wasn't loaded. Locke protected Ben from Sawyer because he has information, the same philosophy should apply to Miles. Seems to me Locke is just trying to break him Sayid-style.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 05:19:38 AM »
Except if Miles happens to drop the grenade, and no kaboom, he'll know that Locke aint got it in him. I don't understand why Locke didn't task Sayid with torturing Miles in exchange for Charlotte. Or bring in Sawyer for a little brass-knuckles means of getting Miles to talk.  I can't imagine Miles has that SERE training US Navy Seals get to resist torture.  So, why not start with a few punches to the stomach? Instead of going right to the grenade in the mouth stage...

Blackrock Bob

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 08:14:27 AM »
This is one of the scenes that took away the fun from the episode. I came to a crash when Locke put the grenade in his mouth.
That is something Sayid would have done, not Locke. Locke has gone totally crazy and can't be trusted.
Exciting yes, but totally out of character. This isn't the Hippie loving Locke we knew.

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 10:13:14 AM »
Ben's got Locke's number, pissed him off bad enough to pull a desparate stunt like this.  I agree its probaby a dud, but we may never know.  Locke comes in later and reinserts the pin and he talks.

Offline The Boy

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 10:29:11 AM »

The gun that Jack took from Locke and tried to shoot him with wasn't loaded.  Could the grenade be inert?  It seems unspeakably cruel to stuff an armed grenade into anyone's mouth and just walk away.  It's torture both physically and mentally.  And, if Miles blows up Locke will never find out what he wants to know.  I didn't like that scene very much.

I think the grenade is not inert and if Miles blows up, it won't matter to locke.  Locke already knows what Miles wants.  Kate told him didn't he?  or am I off on this one

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 11:45:32 AM »
I have to think we're just seeing the progression of Locke's ability to do what's needed to be done.  He couldn't kill his father but he was able to have the killing take place at the hands of another.  Then, he was able to do it himself when he felt he had no choice but to kill Naomi just as the call was about to be connected to the boat.  Now, he's at least appearing to have the ability to be even more destructive (grenades are pretty messy).  I can't imagine the grenade is live as it would eliminate a source of information if Miles isn't able to hang onto it.  Miles knows that it was Locke who killed Naomi so he's fully aware that Locke is capable of murder.. that's gotta be pretty good incentive to not drop it.

Offline gods_child

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 12:05:03 PM »
i think its armed how do u take all that explosive w/o blowing up? need i remind u guys what happend 2 arst? its armed and locke is getting smart.

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 12:12:15 PM »
I'm a Locke supporter through and through. There is no way that he'd risk killing Miles, the grenade must be a dud of some sort. Does anyone know if there is any way to take the shrapnel out of a fragmentation grenade? Or better yet safely destroy it's internal fuse? There must be some way, because Locke may be desperate, but he is certainly no fool! >:(