Author Topic: On Ben's Bookshelf - Valis  (Read 3404 times)

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
On Ben's Bookshelf - Valis
« on: February 22, 2008, 03:03:59 AM »
The book that Locke randomly chooses for Ben's breakfast tray is the Phillip K. Dick novel Valis, which was apparently glanced at by Sayid last week, and thus has already drawn some comments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VALIS
http://fusionanomaly.net/valis.html

From his bio at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_K._Dick
"Dick also explored sociological and political themes in novels dominated by monopolistic corporations and authoritarian governments. In his later works, Dick drew upon his own life experiences and addressed the nature of drug use, paranoia and schizophrenia, and religious experience and theology in novels such as A Scanner Darkly and VALIS."

Now, Ben professed that he'd already read it.  In his snarky response, I sensed that maybe he's an autodidact, and once he reads something, has it committed to memory.  But what does Ben take from Phillip K. Dick? His railing against big evil corporations, ala Widmore/Dharma/Paik et al? Or the personal/psychological explorations?

Offline Johnboy

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
VALIS by Philip K. Dick
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 04:53:26 PM »
I thought it was interesting to see VALIS by Dick.  VALIS stands for "Vast Active Living Intelligence System" and is based upon a "vision" Dick experienced in his own life.  VALIS is Dick's concept of God attempting to communicate a truth that Dick was still living in the old Roman empire.  By the time he wrote the book, he had probably had brain damage or other problems, but it is well worth reading.  Most of Dick's books have to do with "What is real?" and what is not? - It was the nature of reality that Dick wrote about, and LOST seems to be doing the same thing to our minds in a most wonderful way.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: VALIS by Philip K. Dick
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 04:56:56 PM »
Welcome, Johnboy!  The book sounds terrific. I agree a main Lost question is "What is real?"  And not just to your head but what is real to your heart.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 05:03:48 PM »
I think I have this somewhere at home, I'll have to dig into it. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 08:37:45 PM »
I think I have this somewhere at home, I'll have to dig into it. Thanks for the heads up.

Are you Ben?  A book from your own bookshelf?  ;)

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
Re: On Ben's Bookshelf - Valis
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 10:13:35 AM »

Well technically, I think it's in a box somewhere, but yes. A book from my own book, er, uh, box.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 01:55:55 PM »

Well technically, I think it's in a box somewhere, but yes. A book from my own book, er, uh, box.

Your own uh, er, magic book box?  ;)

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 03:27:28 PM »

Your own uh, er, magic book box?  ;)

No, no magic.

Offline Johnboy

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 06:27:20 PM »
And in THE OTHER WOMAN, I find it interesting that they show Ben "re-reading" VALIS by Philip K. Dick, and the cover is even
more clear this time.  I wonder to myself if there is a reason they brought this book back again.  Is there a clue here somewhere?
Reading Dick will definitely expose you to some mind reeling concepts of reality and non-reality.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 01:45:39 PM »
And in THE OTHER WOMAN, I find it interesting that they show Ben "re-reading" VALIS by Philip K. Dick, and the cover is even
more clear this time.  I wonder to myself if there is a reason they brought this book back again.  Is there a clue here somewhere?
Reading Dick will definitely expose you to some mind reeling concepts of reality and non-reality.

Great call!  I don't think I ever remember a book getting the double treatment except for Watership Down.