Author Topic: Whats up with Daniel's memory?  (Read 14056 times)

Offline Bud

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Re: Whats up with Daniel's memory?
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2008, 09:28:01 AM »
Maybe all the boaties have been trained in memory techniques - I remember The heli pilot said he had memorized the flight manifest

Offline Juniper Jade

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2008, 12:07:09 PM »
So, the question is, why could Locke walk immediately upon arriving on the island, while Daniel apparently hasn't healed?

If it's not selective healing, like someone just suggested, then maybe it's has to do with what is being healed. Healing someone who got paralyzed from a accident may be easier then healing someone who has a mental condition of some kind, it may just take a little longer. Charlotte did say he was getting better, even if it was with just three cards.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2008, 12:21:26 PM »
Daniel wouldn't be "healed" because he is not favorable in the eyes of The Island.

On the pop-up-video version of Confirmed Dead the woman in Dan's home is called his "caretaker".

I like this idea.  Good call.  I would tend to think that autistic person's memory defeciency would be with more complex tasks such as "20 Questions".  Still, some neurologic disorder is in evidence with him based on:
-The caretaker
-The unexplained crying
-The memory test
-The whole "nutty professor" persona

I'd wager that his craziness is not random though.  It'll prove to be more akin to Leonard Simms'.

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2008, 12:39:21 PM »
He can do a complicated scientific experiment, but can't remember 3 cards? What is this supposed to mean or show us? There has to be a reason this scene was included.

Does it relate to him crying when he sees the footage of 815 crash?

Thoughts???

Maybe Daniel is an idiot savant?  Now that would be cool.

Offline Point Place WI

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2008, 01:34:17 PM »
I've stolen a theory on this from Jay and Jack so blame them if I'm wrong!

On the pop-up-video version of Confirmed Dead the woman in Dan's home is called his "caretaker".  On Jay and Jacks podcast someone wondered if he might be "functionally autistic".  I'm not sure of exactly that means but from what I understand of autistism. People can be exceptionally good at some things (like science for example) and be terrible at other things (like short term memory).  Makes sense to me. 
I'm totally going with this idea. I first thought it was a short term memory loss as well. Maybe Charlotte has a medical history of some kind and has taken on the duties of taking care of Dan? Hmm.
I'm not saying that is sounds crazy, cuz it doesnt, except they gave him a gun...'who was i supposed to shoot with this?' lol

My best friends nephew is autistic.  No way I'm giving that kid a gun.  I'm just gonna throw out there that Daniel and company are definitely there for the island and the island itself.  The Oceanic lostie survivors are just more specimen to study.  Charlotte and Dan know the Jack/side is cooperating and the Locke side wants no part.  They all have an objective.  The card game is tricky because I agree that off the island Dan was needing help.  He is unstable but so is everybody off the island other than Ben and Kate.  So, sure magical mystery island holds true to only helping whom it wants but off the island there is no power.  Jack is suicidal, Sayid is crying from a gunshot wound or love/plus the recap said he doesn't torture anymore just kills.  Hugo is suffering from paranoia or back to being a fat koolaid guy mess.  Kate can't love.  So, on and so on. 

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2008, 01:37:08 PM »
I think Dan wasn't always so quirky.  He suffered some kind of trauma that left him brain-damaged, either physically or mentally, I'm not sure which.

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2008, 02:04:04 PM »
I may have to recant and give it up to some of you folks who said it could be memory... I read this off of DocArzt's site when I was comparing Easter eggs, it was a discussion on "genetic memory" and seemed plausible. It even has ties to the book Locke gives Ben (Valis by Phillip K. Dick). Just an interesting theory...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_memory
http://www.docarzt.com/lost-easter-eggs/easter-eggs-lost-404-eggtown.php

But yeah I agree, I wouldn't give him a gun if that were the case...

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2008, 05:20:35 PM »
I say he has some sort of short term memory problem.

He cant remember all 3 cards.
Seems to not know the plan when he reached the island.
Always looks confused.
I will also just throw out there that he knew someone that was on the plane, and was reminded when they found it. Thats why he was crying.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2008, 07:27:02 PM »
Given that researchers still don't know what causes autism, it may have a genetic component.  Therefore the island may not see Daniel's condition as a disease, just like it wouldn't see shortness as a disease and make someone 'normal' height.  I tend to think Daniel does have a connection to the island.  He reminds me of:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_Grandin
who designed humane fencing for cattle (Svetlana!) at slaughterhouses.  Dan's makeup allows him the singular ability to see the special nature of light on the island, which others can't.  Will he lose these abilities if healed?

But like Juniper Jade says, Charlotte indicated that Dan is getting better.  Unless that's purely consolational, the island seems to be partially/slowly healing in this case.  Why?

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2008, 07:35:42 PM »
Dan's makeup allows him the singular ability to see the special nature of light on the island, which others can't. 

I disagree, He is a scientist and came to the island with preconceptions of anomalies. Probably from their employer. Lets not forget the fact they had a rocket with a clock on it pointed at the island ready to go as an experiment. So this tells us that they are aware that some strange things happen on the island and thinking outside the box pbobably thought of a lens and looked at how the light scatters.

Offline Gmonkey

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2008, 09:57:03 PM »
$50 dollars says Daniel does the test again by the end of the season and gets all 3 right. 

HE'S HEALED!! PRAISE THE ISLAND!!

i think its more of a setup for maybe a life and death sitation where faraday has to recall something simple to save his or someone elses life, and this scene has been placed to give us doubt and suspense.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2008, 06:44:08 PM »
I gotta go watch it again, but...from looking at the pics on here:
Wasn't the card he didn't get right the 3 of spades?
Go look on Sledge's pics for the one of Kate going into Aaron's room.
The pic of the bike to her left.
What card(s) is/are those?
Looks like a hand showing a red card (queen of diamonds?) and the 6 of clubs on top.
The one Daniel missed isn't there...either.
I'm probably just grasping at namaste paintings spelled backwards though.

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2008, 11:40:43 PM »
could daniel has some sort of neurological problem that makes him behave the way he does, the memory loss....the bizarre crying etc etc, could he be thinking the island would start healing him?

Offline Bud

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2008, 09:30:30 AM »
I think Dans memory is messed up because he did an "Elouise" experiment on himself.