Author Topic: Whats up with Daniel's memory?  (Read 14059 times)

Offline jumbotron

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Whats up with Daniel's memory?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 12:19:16 AM »
I've stolen a theory on this from Jay and Jack so blame them if I'm wrong!

On the pop-up-video version of Confirmed Dead the woman in Dan's home is called his "caretaker".  On Jay and Jacks podcast someone wondered if he might be "functionally autistic".  I'm not sure of exactly that means but from what I understand of autistism. People can be exceptionally good at some things (like science for example) and be terrible at other things (like short term memory).  Makes sense to me. 

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 12:20:14 AM »
or they are checking to see if his memory  is improving

Blackrock Bob

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 12:20:58 AM »
I think he was trying to predict the cards. I didn't take it as a memory test. I thought this was a big clue, but I'm always wrong.

Offline E.S.B.

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 12:22:01 AM »

On the pop-up-video version of Confirmed Dead the woman in Dan's home is called his "caretaker".  On Jay and Jacks podcast someone wondered if he might be "functionally autistic".  I'm not sure of exactly that means but from what I understand of autistism. People can be exceptionally good at some things (like science for example) and be terrible at other things (like short term memory).  Makes sense to me. 

Dude, that is exactly what I was thinking!

Offline fieldy32

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 01:01:38 AM »
$50 dollars says Daniel does the test again by the end of the season and gets all 3 right. 

HE'S HEALED!! PRAISE THE ISLAND!!

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 01:06:38 AM »
HE'S HEALED!! PRAISE THE ISLAND!!

AMEN! ;D

Offline Juniper Jade

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 01:17:05 AM »

I'm totally going with this idea. I first thought it was a short term memory loss as well. Maybe Charlotte has a medical history of some kind and has taken on the duties of taking care of Dan? Hmm.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 01:22:14 AM »

I'm totally going with this idea. I first thought it was a short term memory loss as well. Maybe Charlotte has a medical history of some kind and has taken on the duties of taking care of Dan? Hmm.
I'm not saying that is sounds crazy, cuz it doesnt, except they gave him a gun...'who was i supposed to shoot with this?' lol

Offline uofapiglet

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 01:41:12 AM »
Between the physics stuff and the card tricks, the only simple solution I can tell that they have in common is numbers - and numbers are obviously a big part of the show.

I'd be surprised if it has anything to do with memory, but I kinda like the idea of some type of clairvoyance. All 5 members of Troop Minkowski were chosen for this mission for a specific reason. You never know. If Miles can speak to the recently deceased, who's to say the Daniel isn't special.

And if he does have some interesting ability, Charlotte definitely knows about it or else she wouldn't be testing him.

Offline KateReallyLovesJack

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 03:08:02 AM »
Very much agreed Piglet!

I'm not thinking that little test had anything at all to do with memory.

Offline TheGoodPeople

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 03:26:34 AM »
the scene starts out with. "time, ok tell me, what do you remember." gotta be short term memory loss caused by the island. he clearly remembers things he learned off the island. primary objective, setting up that beacon. who everyone is.

odd that they havent spent any time on this at all.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 03:34:16 AM »
It's clearly not clairvoyance, but memory.  The disappointment, especially felt by Charlotte for Dan, seemed to be related to a prior condition, rather than some clairvoyance skill the wasn't working on the island as they had expected.  Dan definitely displays many of the affects of someone who is autistic: social skills not up to speed, odd tics, but intense focus & ability in certain areas. They were clearly hoping for some healing. Which makes sense, since they obviously know about many of the island's properties already. 

So, the question is, why could Locke walk immediately upon arriving on the island, while Daniel apparently hasn't healed?

Offline uofapiglet

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 04:14:12 AM »
So, the question is, why could Locke walk immediately upon arriving on the island, while Daniel apparently hasn't healed?

Great perspective...

I didn't say it had to be one or the other. Basically, it's just a mind thing, and he was described by Naomi as a head case. Obivously something is wrong, what - we don't know (yet), but Daniel is unhappy about it.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2008, 04:28:06 AM »

Bam! Great call. I like that theory alot. All the pieces seem to fit.

Blackrock Bob

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008, 08:21:41 AM »

It is the selective healing of the island. Locke can walk, but Ben has cancer. Rose's cancer is cured. It doesn't make sense to me. But the island doesn't cure everyone.