Author Topic: New Time Theory, (Sigh)  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Lost Ed

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
New Time Theory, (Sigh)
« on: February 19, 2008, 12:05:39 PM »
Okay.  I almost hate to do this, but the time threads are so convoluted I can't get through them.  Hope it hasn't been discussed this way yet.

Theory:  The rocket took 3 hours and 16 minutes to reach the island, not 31 minutes.  Here we go.

Scene:  Sayid notifies Jack of the Penny/Desmond Px found on Naomi.

Jack then asks Juliet...how long to go to the beach and back to get Desmond.  She says about  (about...) 2 hours.  STOP.

Here's a clue.  Jack knows how long it takes to get to the beach.  Why'd he ask that?  Answer:  A clue for us.

That is the last time that we actually get time references to events on the island...but keep the above in mind....

An undetermined amount of time...after Juliet leaves, Daniel begins his experiment.  Notice as he goes through his box, after he picks up the major piece of equipment, the "2:45" TIMER (not clock) is under that piece of equipment.

Back and forth conversation with Lapidus about the phone...Last thing Daniel does is... watch it again... start the timer and say to Regina send the payload.  It doesn't arrive when he thinks it should.

The show continues to play out, then...we're back to Daniel and the experiment.  Watch what happens.  Rocket arrives, Daniel says "finally." ... takes timer from rocket and LOOKS AT HIS WATCH on his wrist.  Gets concerned.  Runs to the TIMER from his box and compares the times 2:45 vs 3:16.  31 minutes..."This is not good"...

Time passed clue:  Immediately, Lapidus says, "your friends are back."  Julliet has returned from the beach....concluding her approximate journey of two hours. 

The trip to the beach started an unknown amount of time prior to the experiment, and may or may not have taken more than 2 hours.

Conclusion:  It didn't take the rocket 31 minutes to arrive.  It took 3 hours +

2:45...the timer ran for 2 hours and 45 minutes.  The rocket timer ran for 3:16.  My lack of math skills shows me a 16% time differential.

What say you.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: New Time Theory, (Sigh)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 01:29:54 PM »
I see!  Sort of...
So it wasn't a clock, but a timer?  We don't know what the time was, but we know the timer was SET at 2:45 at the start of the experiment?  Or did he start it at 0:00, and then the 2:45 means that that is how long it was from the time Dan made the call.  But the timer (not clock) in the rocket was launced at 0:00, and took 3 hours 16 minutes from launch to land.  Is this right?
So that instead of TIME speeding up in the rocket, it was more like the journey took longer...but....why aren't they the same time still?

Offline Lost Ed

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 01:35:19 PM »
The theory is stating that:

The island timer was set to 0:00 at the beginning of the experiment.  And ran for 2:45 hours.  The rocket timer, also at 0:00, lands 3:16 hours.  31 minutes longer than the island timer. 

If I did the math right, I've got the island running 16% slower than real time.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 01:58:09 PM »
What I'm wondering is the expected length of time for the rocket to reach the island.  I have to wonder if it was a timer after all.  Would a rocket really take almost 3 hours to reach the island from a boat that couldn't be too far off shore?

Offline Lost Ed

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 02:15:41 PM »
Maggie,
The expected length of time was 28 seconds.  From the time Regina fired the rocket, until she said "0" and Daniel was surprised that it wasn't there...was 28 seconds.

Did the rocket actually fly for 3 hours +.  Don;t know.  The belief is that something is happening time wise between the boat and the island.  I doubt the rocket has fuel for a three hour flight.

It remains a mystery.  We're just talking outloud here to try and figure it out.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 02:21:46 PM »
oh i know!  i'm trying to figure it out too!  thank you for finding the length of time it SHOULD have taken...28 seconds.  That sounds about right. 

Offline ESQuire

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 05:29:49 PM »
Think of the island with a close-by (less than a kilometer or two) viscous dome (snowglobe) surrounding it.  The rocket launches and, by Regina's radar tracking, gets to its target in 27-28 seconds.  but it isn't really there yet.  It won't get there in real-world time perspective for another 3 hours and change.  That is because it has plunged into the viscous time goo shell of the island.  It is still only covering the distance it was planned to cover... easily handled by the fuel in the small rocket.  But it is taking longer... and the fuel is combusting at a slower rate (so it will last long enough).  When it finally breaks through the time goo shell and into island space, it appears to islanders to be going the expected speed -->  fast.  But in real-world time, it is still slowly approaching its target.

The main problem with this is the instantaneous radio wave (speed of light) communication capabilities by Faraday and Regina.  To Daniel's ears, Regina's voice should have sounded like a record player on fast.  Everything said in one minute on the island would have actually occupied a longer time off island, so she could have fit more words into that off-island minute-plus time frame.  Does that make sense to anyone else but me?

Offline Lost Ed

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 06:16:43 PM »
Kindalike when the super slow mo-d the replicators in Stargate SG1.

As to communications....the very first post I ever read about lost, they were saying the number of survivors was a "goof" cause such a crash would certainly kill all....fine.  No show.  No survivors no show, short series.  Sometimes we gotta suspend reality in order to help the show's continuity.  Hades, they're making it up as they go along anyway.  Their show, their rules.

Another "suspend."  The others run out of their houses, look up, and see 815 break up.  No...in real life, 815 would have been up so high it woudl just be a little glitter.  But we gotta suspend sometimes to continue the story.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 07:35:15 PM »
The current thinking on some other threads is that the field around the island impedes physical objects but not electromagnetic radiation. Hence radio waves come through normally, but rockets and such are slowed.

Not saying I agree, but it's as good a theory as any.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 08:35:01 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how long the helicopter rides takes to get back.

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 10:07:48 PM »
Ya, the rocket is not behaving according to any consistent construct.

If you employ relativity, then the rocket's timer would be slow and wouldn't suggest the delay that it took to cross the time warp.  (Just like the twin in the spaceship in the classic relativity paradigm). 

Somehow, the rocket continued in the air and it's clock ticking for over three hours when only two something had passed on the island and the expected time to impact was below thirty seconds.

The answer:  The rocket launched by regina entered the barrier, was not perfectly on course, and interacted with a twin rocket from a parallel quantum reality.  This twin rocket is actually and infinite number of twins but, as it is the only one that emerges from the quantum stew, it is the one we're concerned about.  Interacting with it's quantum brothers, the rocket that entered the barrier is not truly the same as the one that we saw. 

The clock on the original rocket also interacts with the clock of its brother.  Since the original clock had a certain time for a starting point, the timer adds the difference to this twin's clock timer and you end up with your thirty something interval time warp. 

This explains the difference in Dan's and the missile's timer.

The difference of the timers with that of the expected missile landing rests in the fact that the island exists in a time bubble.  Think of it as a pothole in the fabric of spacetime.  An object travelling down the vertical of the bubble may move but an inch but the axis of time has gone on for hours.

The question, particularly for the naysayers, are what is the root of the pothole and what are it's uses? :o :o

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 01:04:56 PM »
Interesting :o

All these time theories give me a freakin' headache though  :(

It'll be interesting to see how long the helicopter rides takes to get back.
That will be the true test! Frank said he only had so much fuel too... :-\

The answer:  The rocket launched by regina entered the barrier, was not perfectly on course, and interacted with a twin rocket from a parallel quantum reality.  This twin rocket is actually and infinite number of twins but, as it is the only one that emerges from the quantum stew, it is the one we're concerned about.  Interacting with it's quantum brothers, the rocket that entered the barrier is not truly the same as the one that we saw. 

The clock on the original rocket also interacts with the clock of its brother.  Since the original clock had a certain time for a starting point, the timer adds the difference to this twin's clock timer and you end up with your thirty something interval time warp. 
I feel like if you teach that to the average Lost fan they would just stare at you and drool. It's too confusing, I think. You have to remember that not everyone takes this show so seriously.

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 01:39:47 PM »
Ya, the rocket is not behaving according to any consistent construct.

If you employ relativity, then the rocket's timer would be slow and wouldn't suggest the delay that it took to cross the time warp.  (Just like the twin in the spaceship in the classic relativity paradigm). 

Somehow, the rocket continued in the air and it's clock ticking for over three hours when only two something had passed on the island and the expected time to impact was below thirty seconds.

This explains the difference in Dan's and the missile's timer.

The difference of the timers with that of the expected missile landing rests in the fact that the island exists in a time bubble.  Think of it as a pothole in the fabric of spacetime.  An object travelling down the vertical of the bubble may move but an inch but the axis of time has gone on for hours.

The question, particularly for the naysayers, are what is the root of the pothole and what are it's uses? :o :o

this is great, but i dont agree with it, the average lost viewer would never be able to comprehend this, the whole parrallel universe alternate twin thing is just too far out there for me, its really reaching imo

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 04:13:38 PM »
the average lost viewer is not on this page in the middle of the day. :-X

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 04:28:38 PM »
the average lost viewer is not on this page in the middle of the day. :-X