Author Topic: Desmonds headset  (Read 1712 times)

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Desmonds headset
« on: February 17, 2008, 10:11:59 PM »

Are those symbols on the headset? Can anyone make out what they may be...is it significant, or jus some old headset...I read somewhere the numbers on the helicopter come back to a US based company, probably rented for the show...which could explain the headset, but then one never knows...

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Desmonds headset
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 10:32:22 PM »
I think you're reading way too much into this.  Next, you'll be talking about alternative realities and MPU's.  Ha, just kidding you.  I think the symbols are sexual in nature.  The top is a female.

Offline TheGoodPeople

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 04:55:16 PM »
looks like a Hawaiian style tiki. probably because they film in Hawaii

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 06:47:26 PM »
TXFlyboy would know.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 08:37:52 PM »
Standard ole David Clark aviation headset that someone has personalized.  Have several just like it.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 11:13:35 PM »
So what you're saying is that someone put those voodoo symbols on there to crush poor Desmond's skull between the two ear muffs.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 02:00:16 AM »
Standard ole David Clark aviation headset that someone has personalized.  Have several just like it.
Looks like we have another pilot in our midst? :)

Offline TXFlyboy

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 02:19:51 AM »
As per a PM request:

Asmodean is correct.  They are just David Clark (manufacturer) headsets.  The graphics Lou is asking about are something that must have been placed there by the production staff.  The only markings normally on that particular headset is the dc you see in the middle. 

Someone has also asked about the helicopter.  Here is some info I posted on the LA site:

N842M - Registered owner is: 
ROTORCRAFT SERVICE CENTER LLC
PO BOX 1766
HAMILTON , MT  59840-1766

According to the N- Registration # it is a Bell UH-1B (commonly known as a "Huey") this particular aircraft was manufactured in 1961.  I realize the writers taken certain creative liberties but I will share with you the facts.
This helo has a useful load of 3880 lbs - that is fully fueled.  Less fuel in the aircraft would increase it's useful load not decrease it if range to travel is not a factor.   The low fuel would decrease the range if the copter was fully loaded - of course like in your car - the lower the weight the greater the range - so what they present is a possibility.  Anyway, given the fully fueled weight restriction the aircraft carrying 3880 lbs will accommodate a crew of 4 plus 14 troops with an average weight of 215 lbs/person.  Granted in the screencaps I have seen it is set up for a crew of 2 and seats for up to 6 may 7.  Total range of a fully fueled 1B is 315 miles.  That means the copter could make nearly 2 round trips to the ship on one tank.  That means they burned an awful lot of fuel getting there, if the information we were provided with is correct.  The thing would have to be practically dry fuel tank empty not to be able to get off the ground and back to the ship with 6 passengers - I mean red idiot light on the dash kind of empty. 

So take that information and theorize as you will.

Oh and to further confuse you - Pilots seats are on the left.  So in this particular picture Desmond is in the pilot seat - would the common viewer know this probably not - I just chalk it up to continuity errors.

Enjoy ;D

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 02:46:35 AM »
Thanks for the data, TXFlyboy. 

315 mile range, eh? I'd calculated from the missile test that the ship is 35 miles from where the chopper set down.  Hence, 70 miles round trip... Under normal conditions, it could make 4 round trips.  So, the turbulence + 'the bubble' on the way in took three times the normal amount of fuel...?  If so, then they must be banking on a smooth flight going the other way through the bubble...

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 09:21:30 AM »
McFly - you amaze me!!

;)

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 12:41:17 PM »
Looks like we have another pilot in our midst? :)
Nah, aircraft maintenance.  I used to fix what they broke, but enjoyed flights all around the globe via Herk Air.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 12:44:54 PM »
TV shows & movies always mix up the pilot & copilot's seats.  Big dog--always on the left.  Des has his comm cord over his boom mike too, if we wanna get nit picky.  Nobody ever does that because it pulls the mike out of range of you speaking, even on hot mike.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 04:31:32 PM »
My guess is they put Des in the pilot seat for the shot 'cause they had shot the rest of the chopper scenes from that side of the chopper.  Probably to avoid having to relocate all the camera equipment, director's chair, etc.