Author Topic: Ben's tumor: The Cause?  (Read 6986 times)

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Ben's tumor: The Cause?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 09:23:08 AM »

Yeah, and I seem to remember Ben saying that Jack crashed on the island within days of him finding out about his tumor. Which would mean that in Ben's mind, the island "brought" him a spinal surgeon. Ben even said so himself.

The day after, actually. And he said something like having a spinal surgeon fall out of the sky was enough to make one believe in God. In retrospect none of this fits very well though. If Ben wants a spinal surgeon he should be able to order one up out of his magic box.
I've considered this as a possible reason that the plane was 1,000 miles offcourse.
so the plane was sucked in because it had the closest spinal surgeon on it?

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 01:24:34 PM »
Why didn't he have the tumor operated on at the Mayo clinic?
   I think someone mentioned on another post, that if you're going to have major surgery, best to have it where you recover by magical powers.  At the Mayo clinic, he might have been in the ICU for weeks recovering. 

Also, his hidden closet and passports and money would indicate yet another secret being kept from the Others.  He couldn't disappear to the Mayo for an operation and natural recovery without everyone knowing that he was gone.

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 01:24:59 PM »

Yeah, and I seem to remember Ben saying that Jack crashed on the island within days of him finding out about his tumor. Which would mean that in Ben's mind, the island "brought" him a spinal surgeon. Ben even said so himself.

The day after, actually. And he said something like having a spinal surgeon fall out of the sky was enough to make one believe in God. In retrospect none of this fits very well though. If Ben wants a spinal surgeon he should be able to order one up out of his magic box.
I've considered this as a possible reason that the plane was 1,000 miles offcourse.
so the plane was sucked in because it had the closest spinal surgeon on it?

[/quote

Ben didn't have to ask for a spinal surgeon.  Fate seems to always be on his side and, when it's not, he simply manipulates circumstance.  There is some omnicient power working for Ben.  Perhaps everybody on that plane was on there for a reason having to do with the island.  Perhaps it was this combination that led to some desired result (out of the infinite permutations of people in the world).   ???

The survivors may not be lost, they were instead chosen. ::) ::)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 01:29:37 PM by footballmom10 »

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 04:12:06 PM »
Ben didn't have to ask for a spinal surgeon.  Fate seems to always be on his side and, when it's not, he simply manipulates circumstance.  There is some omnicient power working for Ben.  Perhaps everybody on that plane was on there for a reason having to do with the island.  Perhaps it was this combination that led to some desired result (out of the infinite permutations of people in the world).   ???

The survivors may not be lost, they were instead chosen. ::) ::)

Agreed. It's not random luck that brought our Losties (er, just those with speaking parts, perhaps) to the island. Whether it was synchronicity, or 'fixers' like Libby, Ben, Mrs. Hawkings, etc. who engineered them ending up on Flight 815 together...remains to be seen.

Oh, perhaps other caveats are in order.  Nikki & Paulo were brought to the island for us to hate, and get the writers to deviously off 'em.  Ana-Lucia was brought to send a message to the kiddies: don't drink & drive, or you will get fired from your job.  Any others?

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
Hurley was brought to the island to remind me to play the lottery tonight......

The New York Mega-Millions jackpot is now $220,000,000!

No, I don't play 'the numbers', but I'd love to see them come out when the jackpot is like 10 million and have about 2,000 people show up to claim the prize, only to walk away with a grand or so after lump sum and taxes!

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 04:27:26 PM »
If you win, just don't invest in a Chicken Shack franchise.

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 05:27:08 PM »

Bingo...Jack arrived through the magic box just like Tom Sawyer did.  The island (whatever that means) ordered it up and made it happen. Or was it because someone wanted it bad enough?

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 06:18:15 PM »

Bingo...Jack arrived through the magic box just like Tom Sawyer did.  The island (whatever that means) ordered it up and made it happen. Or was it because someone wanted it bad enough?
I see that trademark Lost balance of fate & coincidence in play here.  I think that Ben's desire for a spinal surgeon drew the plane off course, BUT Des failing to push the button is what actually crashed the plane.

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 07:07:40 PM »
It's not a tuma!!

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 07:34:42 PM »
Also, his hidden closet and passports and money would indicate yet another secret being kept from the Others.  He couldn't disappear to the Mayo for an operation and natural recovery without everyone knowing that he was gone.

It's entirely possible that the Others are completely aware of Ben's life as Dean Moriarty.  All he'd have to say is that Daddy has to go on a trip to earn money and protect you kiddies from the bad man. Why wouldn't that be ok? If they're all of like higher purpose &/or brainwashed in room 23, they wouldn't see it as Ben gets to have a vacation in the real world while they're stuck on the island. But they would expect him to bring back some good booze from the duty free...

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 07:53:42 PM »
I agree, LoA. We have pretty good evidence that Others regularly leave the island. And there's no better reason than to get medical help. So no reason to crash a plane, and no evidence either.

Plus, if Ben really can't or won't leave the island then just pay somebody a couple of megabucks to come to the island and operate there. Sheesh.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 08:00:43 PM »
Yeah, seeing Berlin Ben kinda opens a can of worms on the whole Jack/spinal surgeon/Flight 815/Fate v. coincidence question, doesn't it?  Maybe Ben's HMO back stateside had crappy coverage...

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2008, 06:12:36 PM »
I think Ben's tumor is from using the time travel/alternate universe/magic box thing too much.  It would be like getting too many X-rays.  Also, as noted, from his being away from the restorative effects of the island for too long a time. :) :)

If indeed that is how Ben is getting around, rather than by conventional means.  The passports and the picture Miles has of Ben in what could be an airport suggests conventional means.

I have another theory why he developed the tumor.  Perhaps coming & going to & from the island repeatedly is traumatic on the body.   Every time you return, the island gives a boost to the immune system, which goes into overdrive fixing your broken nerves, fighting off cancer, etc.  Then when you leave, the immune system crashes.  Overdrive, crash, overdrive, crash... Pretty soon it may start to fail regardless of the fact that you've returned to the island again. The same thing happens over time as people age.  The immune system, seen as a system with finite resources, starts to run out of resources.  At that point, mundane infections flare up and the risk of morbidity increases.

I pulled this up because of the reveal in 4x04 that Daniel is suffering.  Reminds me of Michael Crichton's Timeline in which every time trip caused a "scar" of differing types on the body system.  You're on to something here, LOA

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2008, 07:27:20 PM »
The scans that Richard showed to Juliet upon recruiting her may fit with that theory.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2008, 07:38:15 PM »
Yes, good call.  I do wonder which woman belonged to those scans...