Author Topic: Die Mauer = The Wall  (Read 1042 times)

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Die Mauer = The Wall
« on: February 16, 2008, 03:48:38 PM »
There's a topic about Ben's little toe so I wanted to add what I saw when I watched it again...

The name of the restuarant that Sajid contact Else is Die Mauer which translates "the wall."  I think this could be a reference to the Berlin wall, but it could also refer to the pink floyd album.  I saw the movie one time (and a few more with the flashbacks), but the story is about the decent into insanity and defenses.  So, I thought that die mauer also may refer to the battle that Ben and Sajid are waging.

I got this from wikipedia (I love having a free encyclopedia at my fingertips) ::)

Here is is:

The storyline portrays the fictional life of an anti-hero named Pink, who is hammered and beaten down by society from the earliest days of his life: having lost his father (killed in Anzio during World War II, as was Roger Waters' own), smothered by his over-protective mother, oppressed at school by tyrannical, abusive teachers who tried to mould him and the other pupils into the "right" shape for society (hence the recurring image of the meat grinder) and a cheating wife, Pink withdraws into his own fantasy world, building an imaginary wall, an allegory for being emotionally distant, to protect himself from the rest of the world. Every bad experience in his life is "Another Brick in the Wall". After heavily contemplating how to fill in the last few empty spaces in the wall, Pink puts off its construction for a while. He becomes a rock star and gets married, only to be cheated on by his wife due to his distance and coldness, as well as the life as a rock star. After this, he resumes and eventually finishes building the wall.

Pink slowly goes insane behind his freshly completed wall. He is lost on the inside, but is forced to surface by his demanding lifestyle, and I.V. drug use distributed by his crew to "keep [him] going through the show". Hallucinating, Pink believes that he is a fascist dictator, and his concerts are like Neo-Nazi rallies where he sets his men on fans he considers unworthy, only to have his conscience rebel at this and put himself on trial, his inner judge ordering him to tear down his wall in order to open himself to the outside world. At this point the album's end runs into its beginning with the closing words "Isn't this where..."; the first song on the album, "In the Flesh?", begins with the words "...we came in?" with a continuation of the melody of the last song, Outside the Wall hinting at the cyclical nature of Waters' theme.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 09:45:28 PM by footballmom10 »

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Die Mauer
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 04:49:55 PM »
Nice catch, Mom!

Who knows what serves to inspire the writers?  This is as good of a reference as any.  And somehow, I can picture some of those guys being Pink Floyd fans!

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Die Mauer
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 07:13:17 PM »
Also, the "Good" that Ben says at the end is the same "good" heard in the Pink Floyd song "comfortably numb."  Listen to it if you don't believe me.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Die Mauer = The Wall
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 07:14:56 PM »
I concur. Nice catch. I could also point out that Pink is getting an injection from the Doctor (with uppers? pain-killers?) at that point in the song.  Just like Sayid from our happy Veterinarian-for-a-day Ben.  If any band deserves a homage, for me, it ought to be Pink Floyd.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Die Mauer = The Wall
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 08:35:45 PM »
...and if you start playing track one of Darkside of the Moon immediately when we see Jack's eye in the pilot...*shudders*.  Sorry, I can't talk about it anymore, just, just do it.