Author Topic: The Truth  (Read 9408 times)

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: The Truth
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2008, 05:09:29 PM »
Lostfan, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if both Jack and Locke are heroes at the very end. Nor would I be surprised if Locke has to sacrifice himself. I'd be a little more surprised if Jack dies at the end, but not too much more.

Welcome Walkabout!

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2008, 06:58:41 PM »
Just a couple of randomly strung together thoughts about "The Truth". Theologically speaking, in reference to Character symbolism, I believe Jack is the Island's Savior. Afterall he is the son of Christian Sheppard and oddly enough Jack Sheppard is a healer of people. He has also been the "Lostie Flock's" sheppard(bad pun intended) albeit reluctantly at first.Naomi even jested he was playing Moses and things said in jest often carry some level of truth.  Ben is the caretaker of the Island and he is fighting for it's survival while searching for it's true savior. He hoped Locke would be "The One" but it appears he is not. You can see it in Ben's eyes and hear it in his carefully selected words when he is engaged with Jack. He needs Jack to leave for his "forty days and forty nights" to experience his trials and tribulations and return to island and strike down the Island's enemies delivering it salvation. Or it could be my percocets talking.

Wowza!  Let the percocets talk --- I love the idea of Jack being sent away for 40 days and nights.  Excellent!  Welcome, Walkabout.  And how great is your name?!

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2008, 11:07:09 AM »
Just a couple of randomly strung together thoughts about "The Truth". Theologically speaking, in reference to Character symbolism, I believe Jack is the Island's Savior. Afterall he is the son of Christian Sheppard and oddly enough Jack Sheppard is a healer of people. He has also been the "Lostie Flock's" sheppard(bad pun intended) albeit reluctantly at first.Naomi even jested he was playing Moses and things said in jest often carry some level of truth.  Ben is the caretaker of the Island and he is fighting for it's survival while searching for it's true savior. He hoped Locke would be "The One" but it appears he is not. You can see it in Ben's eyes and hear it in his carefully selected words when he is engaged with Jack. He needs Jack to leave for his "forty days and forty nights" to experience his trials and tribulations and return to island and strike down the Island's enemies delivering it salvation. Or it could be my percocets talking.

Wowza!  Let the percocets talk --- I love the idea of Jack being sent away for 40 days and nights.  Excellent!  Welcome, Walkabout.  And how great is your name?!

I'm a fan of the biblical explanations, so I love this, except that I'm not sure how much Ben is looking forward to someone coming along and taking the reins from him.  I agree, though, that he surely seems to be imploring Jack to see his way, and dismissing Locke as too weak.

Also love your name, makes we want to put on the old hiking boots and head out!

Offline Walkabout

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2008, 02:33:36 PM »

I'm a fan of the biblical explanations, so I love this, except that I'm not sure how much Ben is looking forward to someone coming along and taking the reins from him.  I agree, though, that he surely seems to be imploring Jack to see his way, and dismissing Locke as too weak.

Also love your name, makes we want to put on the old hiking boots and head out!
Remember John The Baptist did baptize Jesus. Ben is "JTBesque" but with a sharper edge. Ben's, like JTB, direction come from another ie... Jacob who is only concerned about The Island's salvation along with it's inhabitants. 

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2008, 03:11:29 PM »
I see Ben as more like the Pharisees.  They thought they had the corner on God till the real Messiah came along, so they killed Him.  BUT He conquered death. :)

Offline Walkabout

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2008, 03:39:19 PM »
I see Ben as more like the Pharisees.  They thought they had the corner on God till the real Messiah came along, so they killed Him.  BUT He conquered death. :)
That is very strong and I missed it completely. I will say though the Pharisees were not looking for the Messiah. Ben is actively looking for The One. Who will Judas be?