Author Topic: Season 3 finale - The Coffin (again!)  (Read 6375 times)

Offline dragonflyk

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Season 3 finale - The Coffin (again!)
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 08:50:50 AM »
I don't think it was Ben.  In fact, I'm not sure we have met whoever is in the coffin yet.

My new theory is that it is someone that Jack was trying to track down, thinking that they might hold the key to returning to the island.  I think we will find out that Jeremy Betham was killed by Sayid in his work for Ben.  Now Jack has lost this possible path of return, lost his hope and thinking about killing himself.

I was wondering the same thing...
But it seems as thought it may be someone that they might possibly know....only because of how much discontent Kate had for this person...

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 01:52:50 AM »
My money is between Ben and Michael.  I still say Michael.  I think I was the first one to ever say the coffin looked child-sized.  It could just be an illusion due to perspective or something.  Didn't the obituary say it was a suicide and there wouldn't be an empty funeral for a child, unless we meet a midget later in the season.  So I guess optical illusion or bad prop error.

Blackrock Bob

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 08:14:36 AM »
Would Jack really get that upset about Michael dying and Kate not?
Kate has killed people. She had her childhood best friend killed because he was with her. She knows that things get out of hand. Unless Michael continues his Tailie killing spree and kills Bernard, Zack and Emma, I don't see enough evidence for Michael. And if that were true, even Dr. Crybaby wouldn't attend Michael's funeral.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 06:05:09 PM »
 I still lean towards Michael as well, but heck Miles is startin' to look like a possibility too. Can't picture a lot of people wanting to visit him. He might bite 'em. And if Jack's flash was three years in the future as a lot of evidence shows, we've got time to meet several more possibilities.

And yes, now that we know Ben gets off the island you have to up his chances a bit.

Blackrock Bob

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 06:46:35 PM »
How did you get three years in the future? We haven't seen any clues as to how long Jack was back, just long enough to grow a bushy beard after he visited Hurley. As far as I could tell they could have made it back in Jan 2005, since island time is end of Dec 2004.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 07:03:12 PM »
Jack's phone and Kate's car were apparently late 2006 or early 2007 models. The stories surrounding the obit were actual stories from an LA paper (the Times?) that was published in spring 2007.

Plus, Jack has to move from being back doing surgery and absolutely convinced that they'll never go back to a complete burnout who thinks they have to go baaaaack. That'll take more than a few months I reckon.

It's enough to convince me.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 09:26:09 PM »
Plus the phone jack was using.  Though if i never frequented these sites i would have never caught on to that. 

Offline gmstudio

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Child-Sized Coffin
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 09:30:03 AM »
Morbid, but maybe we now know why the coffin at the end of Season 3 was child sized?

There's something significant keeping Jack away from the boy as we saw last night, so it *could* make sense for him to say he wasn't friend nor family at the funeral.

Offline The Boy

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Child-Sized Coffin
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 10:25:46 AM »
Morbid, but maybe we now know why the coffin at the end of Season 3 was child sized?

There's something significant keeping Jack away from the boy as we saw last night, so it *could* make sense for him to say he wasn't friend nor family at the funeral.

I HAD THE SAME THOUGHT.  That has to be the body in the child-sized coffin.  I am sticking to that theory until proven otherwise. 

Offline tonysee200x

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 10:30:43 AM »

I HAD THE SAME THOUGHT.  That has to be the body in the child-sized coffin.  I am sticking to that theory until proven otherwise. 

Why then when Jack shows Kate the obit she says "Why would I go to the funeral?" Doesn't hold up.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 10:58:33 AM »

Why then when Jack shows Kate the obit she says "Why would I go to the funeral?" Doesn't hold up.

Not to mention wouldn't Kate know that Aaron died without needing an obituary?

Offline The Boy

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 02:55:12 PM »

Maybe doesn't care about Aaron...just used him to get her freedom (somewhat) back.

Offline Maddog13

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 07:55:41 AM »
I believe its Sayid cos Ben says to him "I will get you a new name" and then he says "but they know me now" or something like that.  As for the small coffin, I dont know maybe he gets mutilated in to bits!??!

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 10:34:39 AM »
New thoughts:
1)  The coffin is empty.
    - Jack recognized the fake name Ben used and knew he faked his own death. 
    - Goes with Jack's "not friend of family."
    - Wouldn't be the first time somebody faked their death (Cooper).
    - Wouldn't be the first time Jack came across an empty coffin (Christian)
    - Kate, also knowing Ben's fake name, says in disgust "Why would I go?"

2)  If the folks on "Ben's list" think he's dead, they'll stop looking for him.
    - Frees up hired killer, Sayid, to go hunting.
    - Ben's free to operate and clean up the mess made by the discovery of both wreckage/bodies & survivors.
    - Ben has always said he's one of the good guys.  He's having Sayid take out the bad guys.

Offline The Boy

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2008, 03:08:49 PM »
New thoughts:
1)  The coffin is empty.
    - Jack recognized the fake name Ben used and knew he faked his own death. 
    - Goes with Jack's "not friend of family."
    - Wouldn't be the first time somebody faked their death (Cooper).
    - Wouldn't be the first time Jack came across an empty coffin (Christian)
    - Kate, also knowing Ben's fake name, says in disgust "Why would I go?"

2)  If the folks on "Ben's list" think he's dead, they'll stop looking for him.
    - Frees up hired killer, Sayid, to go hunting.
    - Ben's free to operate and clean up the mess made by the discovery of both wreckage/bodies & survivors.
    - Ben has always said he's one of the good guys.  He's having Sayid take out the bad guys.

Why would the guy at the funeral home ask jack if he would like for him to open the casket?  If the guy knows the coffin is empty, why would he offer?  Then your theory wouldn't make any sense.....Unless the guy at the funeral home is also looking for Ben!!!???