Author Topic: Two external organizations working against each other continued  (Read 7077 times)

Offline msdoran

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Two external organizations working against each other continued
« on: February 15, 2008, 12:19:24 PM »
If you go back to the last episode's forum you can read a posting I put up about two external organizations working against each other. In light of the new information received from last night's episode I would like to keep that conversation going.

It is becoming more and more apparent that this is the case.  Ben is obviously involved with an organization that has a considerable external infrastructure, his hidden california closet (which included clothes very similar to what he was wearing when he patchey Sayid up), extensive cash that included:Euro's, Yen, and Canadian dollars and more, as well as numerous passports from a variety of countries.

It seems that the organization Ben is against (Hanso, or Widmore? or is it Hanso/Widmore) realizes he is after him. What really fascinated me was that Elsa was playing Sayid as much as he was playing her.

I keep getting the feeling that this is a battle between two large, multinational corporations over the resources of the island that are considered to be invaluable.

I just wonder how Hanso and Widmore fit in, are they the two working against each other, or are they a combined organization working against someone else who has yet to be introduced.

Thoughts?

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Two external organizations working against each other continued
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 12:38:59 PM »
my thoughts are that i love this, we know widmore has had connections to the island for sometime, (henry gale and his balloon)

i definitely think Ben is working AGAINST Widmore, but who is Ben working for? remains the biggest question

Offline rhythm

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 01:40:51 PM »
Maybe Ben & Sayid work for the brand-new-not-so-corrupt Hanso Foundation. 

Offline Lost Ed

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 02:34:58 PM »
Remember waaay back when.  Ben said, "We're the good guys."

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 04:04:15 PM »

I keep getting the feeling that this is a battle between two large, multinational corporations over the resources of the island that are considered to be invaluable. 

Thoughts?

I agree. I read an article once about how family corporations inevitably fail to survive the grandchildren of its founders.  By the third generation, power and control are so diffuse and riven by faction that the corporation either fails or is sold off, becoming a public corporation.  I think the alliance between Hanso/Widmore/Paik has reached a similar crossroads.  But since they can't sell their hidden jewel, they're fighting over it in back alleys using surrogates (Ben, Mittelos Biosciences, Abaddon, Henry Gale, the Boaties).

my thoughts are that i love this, we know widmore has had connections to the island for sometime, (henry gale and his balloon)

This brings up an interesting point. When, exactly, did this feud between two corporate houses commence?  I had thought that Ben was successfully deceiving his 'bosses' off the island, getting them to believe that the Dharma Initiative was still operational on the island. But I had forgotten that Henry Gale had been caught (and killed?) by Ben/the Others. I'd suggest that Henry was sent to spy on Ben from the balloon, much like the Union Army used balloons during the Civil War to spy on the Conferderate Army. Maybe Henry wasn't supposed to touch down, instead stay safely in the air & observe.  But the island is cunning...

The balloon incident suggests that perhaps there had been a cold war for a while, as one side tried to gather more information, but that with the Freighter, it has hotted up.  As to who comprises each side in this corporate feud, we don't have enough information. Which means the writers have some freedom to fashion its particulars later on.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 06:04:23 PM »
Maybe Ben & Sayid work for the brand-new-not-so-corrupt Hanso Foundation. 

"not-so-corrupt"? They seem to be in the business of murdering people...?

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 06:17:15 PM »

Thoughts?

I agree. I read an article once about how family corporations inevitably fail to survive the grandchildren of its founders.  By the third generation, power and control are so diffuse and riven by faction that the corporation either fails or is sold off, becoming a public corporation.  I think the alliance between Hanso/Widmore/Paik has reached a similar crossroads.  But since they can't sell their hidden jewel, they're fighting over it in back alleys using surrogates (Ben, Mittelos Biosciences, Abaddon, Henry Gale, the Boaties).

This brings up an interesting point. When, exactly, did this feud between two corporate houses commence?  I had thought that Ben was successfully deceiving his 'bosses' off the island, getting them to believe that the Dharma Initiative was still operational on the island. But I had forgotten that Henry Gale had been caught (and killed?) by Ben/the Others. I'd suggest that Henry was sent to spy on Ben from the balloon, much like the Union Army used balloons during the Civil War to spy on the Conferderate Army. Maybe Henry wasn't supposed to touch down, instead stay safely in the air & observe.  But the island is cunning...

The balloon incident suggests that perhaps there had been a cold war for a while, as one side tried to gather more information, but that with the Freighter, it has hotted up.  As to who comprises each side in this corporate feud, we don't have enough information. Which means the writers have some freedom to fashion its particulars later on.

well we dont know for sure if henry was killed, he could have died while the balloon crashed, he was buried right next to the ballooon as they found his ID in his grave, (when confronting Ben in the Swan)

i feel like if they killed him, he was probably alive and well after the balloon had crashed, hence he probably would have explored the island a bit moving away from the balloon

i think he died in from the crash

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 06:53:54 PM »
well we dont know for sure if henry was killed, he could have died while the balloon crashed, he was buried right next to the ballooon as they found his ID in his grave, (when confronting Ben in the Swan)

i feel like if they killed him, he was probably alive and well after the balloon had crashed, hence he probably would have explored the island a bit moving away from the balloon

I'll buy that. If so, then Ben likely could only assume Henry Gale had been sent by Charles Widmore, given the baloon's gas burner says Widmore on it.  This would stoke Ben's paranoia. Falsely so, if Penny had sent Henry.

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 06:54:48 PM »

I'll buy that. If so, then Ben likely could only assume Henry Gale had been sent by Charles Widmore, given the baloon's gas burner says Widmore on it.  This would stoke Ben's paranoia. Falsely so, if Penny had sent Henry.

do we know who arrived first?? Henry or Des??

i cant remember

Offline nikarro

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 07:18:32 PM »

Thoughts?

OOH OOH, No, remember?  When Sayid comes in and they held Ben up to the wall he points out that in the balloon Henry Gales pocket there is money that he wrote on about what they were doing on the island!!!

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 08:06:26 PM »
Yes, Henry was alive after the crash. We don't know that the Others killed him, but it seems like a good bet since Ben lied about it.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 09:00:12 PM »
Henry apparently arrived in 2003, when Des had already been on the island for a few/several years. 

The $20 bill only contained a "If you find this Jenny my love I didn't survive" message, not a play by play of the Others' activities.

Will we ever learn the true events behind Henry's death, or will it get forgotten in the crush of all the rest of the LOST mythology to be explained?

Offline Gmonkey

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 12:13:28 AM »
I love the notion of organizations fighting for the island, but wouldnt you think that after 30 years (at least) the island would have better security than smokey - who, by the way, seems to be taking holiday leave at the moment

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 12:19:58 AM »
Well, it does. It's apparently invisible, and just about any craft approaching it crashes. And if you survive the crash, the Others steal your kids and either kill you or brainwash you. Unless you're lucky enough to escape and hide out for 16 years till there's a big crash and help arrives.

Offline jumbotron

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 03:58:28 AM »
I love this theory and I totally agree. 

I think Abbadon is working for Hanso (which is a parent company for Widmore, Dharma, Paik, Maxwell etc)  The magnetic blip gave them a view of the island and they want it back.  30 years ago Hanso stole the island from the natives... the natives waited till the right time killed off the on island Hanso (Dharma) people. 

Ben seems to be the mastermind behind Natives movement to keep they're island and keep Hanso away.  Where Ben is getting his $ from is a mystery... I'm leaning towards him being a master con man.  Remember what he said to Sawyer when he revealed the Hydra station was on an Alcatraz type island.  "You may be good, but we're better".

Maybe it's as simple as that.  Hanso vs Ben  :-\