Author Topic: Why do they keep transporting Naomi's body?  (Read 10754 times)

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: Why do they keep transporting Naomi's body?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2008, 09:27:55 PM »
I thought, before, no one thought they were getting off the island, so they buried the dead on island...now, they have a way off, and maybe just maybe they would like to bury her somewhere her family would like her buried...

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2008, 11:01:48 PM »

And maybe the writers will never utilize the spider gimmick again, for fear of reminding us about the Nikki/Paulo fiasco. I guess I'm hoping Naomi did come back to life, as that would shed some light on the Patchy dead-or-alive question.

I think the spider bite only lasted about 8 hours, yes? Naomi's been out for a couple of days hasn't she?

Dead....

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2008, 11:21:12 PM »

And maybe the writers will never utilize the spider gimmick again, for fear of reminding us about the Nikki/Paulo fiasco. I guess I'm hoping Naomi did come back to life, as that would shed some light on the Patchy dead-or-alive question.

I think the spider bite only lasted about 8 hours, yes? Naomi's been out for a couple of days hasn't she?

Dead....

It's probably been about 24 hours at this point.

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2008, 11:46:15 PM »
if she stays on the island then she will awake from the dead.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2008, 11:50:14 PM »
I think TPTB said no one comes back from the dead....dead is dead...

there is not going to be a extra Zombie Lost episode...

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2008, 12:00:08 AM »
I agree Lou.

FootballMom, her body has now left the island. If it had stayed we might have seen it walking around again like Christian or Yemi, but I don't think it would really be her. Yemi's ghost/zombie/whatever made it clear to Eko that it wasn't the real Yemi right before Smokie came out and killed him.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2008, 04:07:39 PM »
We keep saying that they might be keeping her around, because there may be more to her story.  Lou reminded me last night that that may have simply been the bracelet.  Now that we've seen what we needed to with that, I expect that she won't be back.

Offline E-Rich

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2008, 04:36:27 PM »
We keep saying that they might be keeping her around, because there may be more to her story.  Lou reminded me last night that that may have simply been the bracelet.  Now that we've seen what we needed to with that, I expect that she won't be back.

I was just about to say the same thing.  They kept h er around to show connection to the bracelet.  She's done now (unless for flashbacks...)

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2008, 12:43:49 AM »
if she was in fact still alive (ie spider venom) her face would NOT have been BLUE

please re-watch, they did some good makeup on her, showing rigo has begun to set in

she's dead, just like christian, just like nikki and paulo, just like charlie

thats a very good point!

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2008, 06:45:05 AM »
They kept her around to show connection to the bracelet.  She's done now (unless for flashbacks...)

This is such an excellent observation.  I wonder how often characters do uncharacteristic things (like worry about a total stranger's funerary rights) to justify the writers' alteration of the story to fit the storytelling format of a weekly TV show.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2008, 01:38:19 PM »
They kept her around to show connection to the bracelet.  She's done now (unless for flashbacks...)

This is such an excellent observation.  I wonder how often characters do uncharacteristic things (like worry about a total stranger's funerary rights) to justify the writers' alteration of the story to fit the storytelling format of a weekly TV show.
It isn't completely unreasonable, however, to wait a day to get her back to the freighter.  Sayid insisted that they take her "home."

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2008, 02:11:53 AM »
I think whatever the writers are about to have happen on the boat dictated who goes on this first chopper flight back.  As the rooms on the boat are rather small, it's kinda hard to cram 'em full of Losties & Boaties with guns drawn, then frame the Mexican standoff all in one shot.  Someone mentioned earlier that Naomi's corpse had to be dragged this far so that we could compare Naomi's bracelet to Elsie's bracelet. Finally, Juliet didn't go because Jack needs someone else from the A Team by his side for whatever is to come, especially given that Sawyer & Freckles are stoking his jealousy by styaing behind to play house together.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2008, 12:49:03 PM »
Sorry for this long post, but I "felt" like I needed to say this. Feel free to punch holes, but really read it before you detroy it.

Juliet is more desperate than anyone else to get out of there, has been there longer than the losties, will stab anyone in the back to get out, etc. But when opportunity presents itself, she quietly lets a dead body take up the last spot on the flight out? That sounds quite unbelievable....

I still don't trust Juliette. I think that later on, we will see yet another flashback with her and Ben talking about how they are going to have to make it look like she has betrayed Ben and the Others. There will probably even be a discussion about the loss of lives, and this will either show how cold Ben is, or it will be revealed about how they won't really be dead (or it might just come out once her and Ben see eachother face to face). I actually think that maybe, just maybe, Juliette's entire back story is a lie told to us for the benefit of the story, but it will be revealed that she is actually an other (I know, probably not, but this is LOST we're talking about.).

I'm no expert in mortuary science, but there is absolutely NO decay on this body, and it has been at least 12 hours since she keeled over.  And we all know from CSI that a series of insects find a body after its TOD, but we see nothing buzzing around or crawling over the body. 

Okay, the first problem here is that you're basing your forensics knowledge on the most factually innaccurate show ever made. Yes it is true that CERTAIN insects will go to a body within hours of death, but they lay their eggs, and take off, more or less. Plus, have you ever noticed that bugs are twitchy little things that tend to scatter when there is too much activity?? I'm sure if they left Naomi where she was, she would be covered in bugs and maggots (lovely, I know). Second, bodies don't just fall apart after they die. Yes there should be more significant signs of death, but after 12 hours, she wouldn't be half dust. If I remember correctly, at this point, since she has been lying on her back so long, her entire back side would basically be a huge bruise, and that's about where we would be. Plus, keep in mind that this is a TV show. If they were trying to be that accurate about bugs and decomp, they would have shown her bowels emptying themselves, so be thankful.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2008, 01:55:37 PM »
To Bob:

Good ideas on Juliet.  She could be fooling us again, as she does so well.  But it also may be that, like Sayid, she hasn't quite made up her mind about the freighter people yet.  Especially since she knows that they are looking for Ben, and that so far she is the only other they have been in contact yet.  Who knows what they might do to try and get information out of her?

And about Naomi: yes, thankfully they aren't 100% accurate in depicting death...Patchy's run in with the fence was as about as graphic as I care to see!  The blood shooting out...the foaminess...that's good enough for me.  And though it looks as though this chick is dead...I'm gonna hold onto her being alive until they quit showing her in all the episodes...  I'm thinking about the way they keep the camera on her, on her eyes, and it reminds me of Nikki and Paulo and the way the camera passed over them.  Of course, different situation I guess...halfway through the episode we kinda figured that they weren't dead, and the camera work was a reminder of the folly of Sawyer and Hurley.  And EXCELLENT point about keeping her around for the bracelet.  That could be why she has been around all this time.  Still.  I want to be right! :P

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2008, 02:20:01 PM »
Juliet is more desperate than anyone else to get out of there, has been there longer than the losties, will stab anyone in the back to get out, etc. But when opportunity presents itself, she quietly lets a dead body take up the last spot on the flight out? That sounds quite unbelievable....
I still don't trust Juliette. I think that later on, we will see yet another flashback with her and Ben talking about how they are going to have to make it look like she has betrayed Ben and the Others. There will probably even be a discussion about the loss of lives, and this will either show how cold Ben is, or it will be revealed about how they won't really be dead (or it might just come out once her and Ben see eachother face to face). I actually think that maybe, just maybe, Juliette's entire back story is a lie told to us for the benefit of the story, but it will be revealed that she is actually an other (I know, probably not, but this is LOST we're talking about.).
While I still don't trust her either, I do not think that the writers would mislead the audience like that.  If it is revealed that her backstory isn't reliable, then we can throw everyone else's out too!