Author Topic: We Need the Mathematicians  (Read 5695 times)

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: We Need the Mathematicians
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2008, 09:21:25 PM »
I think that what we come to call wierd on Lost will continue to expand.  Now we have a time distortion.  Soon, we'll have a way to control it.  Later, we'll find that Sajid was performing his mission years before the plane crashed.   :P

Wow, you can type in pink on these things.  Time means nothing on Lost

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2008, 12:22:29 AM »
wow this has been the best thread that I've read in a while!
Thanks to our new poster Shownuf who took the time to explain (very nicely i might add)
Good job!

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2008, 01:32:31 AM »
what if pressing the button in the hatch was preventing time from slipping on the island, id be curious to know how many days its been since des turned the failsafe key and how the math would come out with that. maybe its only been three years, you know the red sox won the last world series too.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 01:46:18 AM by hyperform »

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2008, 11:17:47 AM »
How's this:

There's a rotating shell of "space-time" surrounding the island.

As long as you enter/exit through the exact axis point of rotation, you don't lose/gain any time.

If you enter off axis (x distance) at (y speed) with a rocket, you lose 31 minutes.

If you enter off axis at some point closer to the "equator" of rotation, you could lose way more than 31 minutes: hence, Black Rock, Yemi's plane, Rousseau, Adam & Eve.

If you spend most of your time at the Temple, you don't age?

Radio/TV waves can get through in real time, as long as you point your antenna to the right spot?

A super mathematician/physicist could use this to teleport a polar bear to some specific time/place in the past, or snatch Tom Sawyer from some specific time/place to the "magic box".

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2008, 11:25:17 AM »
I get what you're thinking....and like it.  But, I would think of it more like either a pattern of worm holes where there's only one way in or one way out (with a time delay) and/or more like a gravitational field.  In the latter, unless you hit a certain speed....you can never escape.  If you link the two, a helicopter that strays off course ends up either not piercing the shell or locked in an orbital infinity of time.   :-* :-*

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2008, 02:18:28 PM »
If this were a worm-hole that never completely formed (e.g. a funnel), then those trapped within it would experience time at a much slower rate than those outside of the funnel. It would make sense then that there would be only a limited number of paths that could be taken to exit the funnel. Any other course would result in a circular path and you would end up where you started.