Author Topic: We Need the Mathematicians  (Read 5005 times)

Offline Lost Ed

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
We Need the Mathematicians
« on: February 15, 2008, 10:40:43 AM »
Rounding and averaging numbers.  The flight of the rocket should have taken about 25 seconds.  Instead it took 31 minutes.

Which means, still averaging, that one minute on the island is 60 minutes real time.  Yes??? 

I get lost...uh, confused from there.  Can anybody handle that??

If so, how long has Rousseau been there in real time.

The losties have been there 100 days, how long is that in real time.

And the black rock...how long???

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: We Need the Mathematicians
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 10:49:37 AM »
THere has to be something wrong with your Math!! That would mean the losties have been there for 16 years. Not sure if we saw they whole time length of the missile coming.

Also could the time difference just be happening during the entry of something to the island??

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 10:54:03 AM »
Explain Alex being 16 and Rousseau there for 16 years. 

Offline Lost Ed

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 10:59:30 AM »
THere has to be something wrong with your Math!! That would mean the losties have been there for 16 years. Not sure if we saw they whole time length of the missile coming.

Also could the time difference just be happening during the entry of something to the island??

From the time Regina says the payload is away, till the time she says zero, as in, it should be there...I timed at 27 seconds.  THis was a "real time" shot, meaning there were no breakaways to other scenes.  We stayed with Daniel for the entire countdown to when the rocket should have arrived and Regina very monotomously counted every 5 kilometers.  They very intentionally IMO, gave us some good figures to work with.  Again, I timed it at 27 seconds, so I'm rounding to 25 just for easier figuring.  The clock/timers show a difference of around 31 minutes...and Daniel comments on the 31 minutes.

Offline Lost Ed

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 11:01:03 AM »
Explain Alex being 16 and Rousseau there for 16 years. 

They are both on "island time"  The 16 year loop that Sayid refers to seasons ago, is "island time."

DOn't ask me to go deeper than that...I'm not mathematically capable...I mean, if I had the time I could be... :) 

Offline Fallybear

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 11:04:04 AM »
Rounding and averaging numbers.  The flight of the rocket should have taken about 25 seconds.  Instead it took 31 minutes.

Which means, still averaging, that one minute on the island is 60 minutes real time.  Yes??? 

I get lost...uh, confused from there.  Can anybody handle that??

If so, how long has Rousseau been there in real time.

The losties have been there 100 days, how long is that in real time.

And the black rock...how long???

I think we will soon find out the time difference between the real world and Island. Jack made a comment and later a question about   can't believing 100 days have passed since the crash and asking if it's true the Red Sox won the world series. I think someone soon is going to tell him it's been a lot longer than 100 days and the Red Sox won the world series a long time ago.

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 11:04:32 AM »
Somone else touched on this i another thread,
Were the clocks synchronized to Zero when regina snet the "package"

When faraday looks at the clocks there is a 31 min difference but, was that the time of day or a timer which started at zero when the pakage was sent?

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 11:04:50 AM »
But, the survivors find out the date of Rousseau's being stranded and she is told that she has been there......

By your 31 second reasoning, to Rousseau it would have seen that she had been there minutes and Alex would have been a baby.

Offline The_Soilworker

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 11:05:36 AM »
It`s not that time is moving slower or faster. It has a differance. Like a jump or hole in time.
But if i`m wrong and time is moving slower/faster ? Then everyone on the island will not be affected., untill they come back in the real world. And there`s a lot of evidence that they haven`t aged a lot since the oceanic six came back....so ill go for the differance in time, and not slower/faster. It also explains (a bit) the Dharma Polar bear found in episode 2,  ???

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 11:15:54 AM »
I don't think that we need a mathematician, just a calculator.  The math is simple if we just round off and say that a second on the island equals a minute off, then we can explain the rocket.  But, did the rocket hit the island time warp right away or at the end?  I think that would change the calculation some, but the idea is still the same.

But, you guys are missing my point, they told rousseau the date and she hated that she had been there so long....and alex is the age, 16, corresponding to her time on the island.

There is not a time warp, but a time buffer on the island.

Offline Lost Ed

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 11:33:46 AM »
Okay, let me state my premise for starting this thread, and then we can accept or reject the premise...but for the time being, let's go with what we know and conjecture afterward.

The premise...the writer's went out of their way to give us everything we need to know to compute how time flows on the island compared to the rest of the world.

They told us they've been on the island 100 days.
They gave us a start/stop for expected flight time of the rocket.
They gave us the difference between expected flight time, and actual flight time.  31 minutes.

Using those as facts given, without speculation as to when the rocket hit the time differential and all of that...in other words, if those indeed are the "facts", then what do we know.

Rounding off...a 30 second flight took 30 minutes.

Using those numbers as our premise...1 minute of island time = 1 hour of real time.  True??? 

Apply that formula to events we know.   If they've been 100 island days on the island...how many real days have they  been there?

Offline The_Soilworker

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 11:45:42 AM »
Okay, let me state my premise for starting this thread, and then we can accept or reject the premise...but for the time being, let's go with what we know and conjecture afterward.

The premise...the writer's went out of their way to give us everything we need to know to compute how time flows on the island compared to the rest of the world.

They told us they've been on the island 100 days.
They gave us a start/stop for expected flight time of the rocket.
They gave us the difference between expected flight time, and actual flight time.  31 minutes.

Using those as facts given, without speculation as to when the rocket hit the time differential and all of that...in other words, if those indeed are the "facts", then what do we know.

Rounding off...a 30 second flight took 30 minutes.

Using those numbers as our premise...1 minute of island time = 1 hour of real time.  True??? 

Apply that formula to events we know.   If they've been 100 island days on the island...how many real days have they  been there?

I do not agree with time moving slower/faster it`s ridiculous. It`s either a buffer, or a delay....The flashforward is the evidence that the losties are still thesame (normal) age....

Offline FrostyLosty

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 11:55:48 AM »
We've had this before about the possibility of people not ageing as fast on the island, for instance, Bens flashback. Perhaps time moves much slower? :S

Offline Bigtoes

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 12:11:03 PM »
One thing that might possibly support this is the theory of General Relativity.  One of the predictions of GR is that time should appear to run slower near a massive body like the earth.  Maybe the Island is an extremely massive body (not size but mass).  This is explained in the Twins theory.  One twin stays on earth the other goes on a rocket ship a near the speed of light for certain amount of time and when he gets back he is younger than the one who stayed on earth.  The one in space was away from the earth so time ran faster for him than the earth twin.  This is all explained much better in Hawking's "A brief history of time", which is one of the books that has appeared on the island.  Interestingly and probably just a coincedence, the second person that Hawking thanks on the acknowledgement page of "ABHoT" is Robert Geroch "R.G" the same initials as Naomi's bracelet.  Geroch did a lot of work with the whole Time/Space thing.

So if the Island is very massive than maybe time runs much slower there.  There are probably a lot of holes in this theory but maybe this will put someone else on the right track.

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 12:17:15 PM »

we have a WINNER

people, lets be realistic, we have several things to show us time is just fine on and off the island, its obvious thru the flashbacks and flashforwards, not to mention the whole red sox winning the series,

this is simple, the BUBBLE surrounding the island is obviously causing a riff in the entry to the island

i'm going to assume this is why the others always took a submarine in and out, this same bubble is what kept Desmond going in circles

also, this explains why Farraday told the pilot to follow the EXACT path back in, and also why Ben gave Michael precise coordinates to leave