Author Topic: Why an Economist?  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Why an Economist?
« on: February 15, 2008, 08:53:35 AM »
Could there be any reason why 'Economist' was chosen as the apparently fake profession of Elsa's 'boss'?  Or was it an innocuous-sounding profession, like 'Accountant', suitable for a cover story?

I'm also reminded of Elaine Benes and her relationship to Mr. Pitt.  Any connection?

Offline gjohnson

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Why an Economist?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 10:06:07 AM »
Hmm, sounds like finding a balance. Tipping the scales. Nudging events toward a particular outcome?

Blackrock Bob

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 10:10:19 AM »
Hmm, sounds like finding a balance. Tipping the scales. Nudging events toward a particular outcome?

Yes, I think the guy is manipulating the world's economy. Just like Ben is manipulating everyone on the Island.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 10:16:42 AM »
Could mean a general label that is ambiguios enough to sound important but not specific. Sort of like Seinfelds import/export title they used. I think it is general important sounding title and refers to "bosses:. Both Sayid and the chick were working for bosses.

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 10:24:32 AM »
It was sort of a dumb title for the show as well a the 'boss'.  But I'm sure it will reveal itself as to why later on, but for our purposes in the here and now, it was a dumb choice for a name.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 03:41:35 PM »
Could mean a general label that is ambiguios enough to sound important but not specific. Sort of like Seinfelds import/export title they used. I think it is general important sounding title and refers to "bosses:. Both Sayid and the chick were working for bosses.

I like it. Perhaps a homage from the writers to George Castanza, aka Art Vandalay.  About which wikipedia says:

George is obsessed with the name, Art Vandalay, using it sometimes when he meets people for the first time. The ironic thing is, Art Vandalay was the judge in The Finale (Seinfeld Episode) and gave the final verdict.

As the ep was all about bosses who go by ficticious names, the same can be said about George and his alter ego.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 04:46:20 PM »
Off topic---but best scene ever was when George was coming out of Jerry's bathroom, pants around his ankles screaming "Say Vandalay Industries!"

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 04:49:40 PM »
Off topic---but best scene ever was when George was coming out of Jerry's bathroom, pants around his ankles screaming "Say Vandalay Industries!"
Classic!!! :D

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 04:52:11 PM »
my screename on another messageboard is Art Vandalay

**sidenote - i went to a halloween party 3 yrs ago as Art Vandalay and people actually got it!!!

i miss seinfeld so much

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 04:53:46 PM »

**sidenote - i went to a halloween party 3 yrs ago as Art Vandalay and people actually got it!!!

i miss seinfeld so much
You rock. :D

My original sig line on here was a Seinfeld quote.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 04:59:16 PM »
What did the costume look like?

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 08:17:38 PM »

i miss seinfeld so much

You seem more like a Newman to me.