Author Topic: Benjamin Linus - World Traveler  (Read 10420 times)

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Linus - World Traveler
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 03:33:32 AM »
i think the submarine is just a prop anyway. think about it, have we ever seen it doing anything but sitting there.
juliet was in it.  but thats a question too...was she placed in it? anyhow... yeah. WHY LEAVE THE ISLAND? 

A light bulb just went off for me. I had always thought that Juliet got to the island by sub.  But there's no proof.  I recall that she was rendered unconscious, then awoke on the sub, but only when it was at the dock.  No evidence that it ever moved.

I'd also always assumed the sub went from the island to, let's say, LA.  But that'd take too long for busy Ben.  If indeed the sub was functional, then possibly it was used to get past the island's shielding to a nearby island, where alternate transport was available.  But that'd be more conspicuous than the simplest possibility, a boat-plane combo.

And Frank's ability (we'll see next week for sure. or not) to chopper to the island and back to the boat will suggest that Ben, too, could travel that way.  Surely if the Boaties know the coordinates to get through to the island, Ben does too.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 07:28:38 AM »
I've always been suspicious of the sub thing as well and thought the same thing back during that episode.

Blackrock Bob

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 08:01:33 AM »
One thing you are forgetting about the sub.
Tom told Ben the sub was back and what's her name (pickett's wife who was shot by Sun), was hurt.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 08:32:27 AM »
One thing you are forgetting about the sub.
Tom told Ben the sub was back and what's her name (pickett's wife who was shot by Sun), was hurt.

Yeah, thats a strong indication that the sub is operational.  Perhaps Dharma had a 'How To Pilot and Maintain a Sub For Dummies' manual in the Flame that turned some of the Others into able-bodied submariners. 

Now that we know Ben lives & gets off the island in the future, it's become rather moot.  If not by the sub Locke torched, there's the runway for UFOs and planes, boat, chopper...  or maybe with all his Euros and Swiss Francs, Ben can buy another sub from the N Koreans (who'd enjoy sticking it to their S Korean cousins at Paik Industries). 

Offline gjohnson

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 10:03:50 AM »
Pleased to meet you

Hope you guess my name

But what's puzzling you

Is the nature of my game

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2008, 11:01:21 AM »
You have to wonder why Ben and the others were so suspicious of the survivors.  I mean, they don't appear to be that bad of people, except for Ben.  And, I have wondered, why is every means of transport or communication blocked by Ben?

It had to have been that Ben knew that one of the survivors was really a plant for the other team.  Was that the purpose of the crash anyway....to get that guy or gal onto the island?

Offline eelpie62

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2008, 12:14:34 PM »
In the screen-cap of the Swiss passport Ben is listed as "Dean Moriarty". That's the name of the character in On The Road who is based on Neil Cassady. Neil wasn't one who was known to ever want to stay in one place for any length of time, maybe Ben has the same wanderlust.

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2008, 01:54:45 PM »
If Ben has this California Closet with clothes, money, and passports, then where is he going, how is he hiding it, and how is he travelling?

I mean, to put it simply, he is hiding this closet from the others so they don't know he is even travelling, so that means that wherever he goes, he can't stay very long at all.  So is there a time warp when he leaves and then comes back so that he didn't appear gone?  It would be like, honey I'm going to the bathroom>>>>teleport to Berlin>>>>back>>>>oh, I feel much better. :( ;D

Offline FrostyLosty

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2008, 01:59:56 PM »
Trust the irony of it all being behind a bookshelf too!

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2008, 02:14:34 PM »
He is a liar. He could tell people he is off to spend time with Jacob.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2008, 02:21:50 PM »
I think he's using the equipment in the Orchid Station to travel there and back again.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2008, 02:35:08 PM »
maybe they know when he leaves, but they don't know that he leaves as someone else.  he has fake passports, large amounts of money in different currencies.  my guess is the clothing is all for different identities.  so the others know he leaves to go to the mainland (i don't think he could leave/return by himself), they just don't realize the extent of his charade.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2008, 02:41:39 PM »
Good call ladybug.  He really had no problem fitting into the shoes of Henry Gale, so I don't think it would be too hard for him to wear a variety of masks.  OOOH symbolism.  Maybe that is why he has so many around his house, eh?

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2008, 02:43:28 PM »
If Ben has this California Closet with clothes, money, and passports, then where is he going, how is he hiding it, and how is he travelling?

I mean, to put it simply, he is hiding this closet from the others so they don't know he is even travelling, so that means that wherever he goes, he can't stay very long at all.  So is there a time warp when he leaves and then comes back so that he didn't appear gone?  It would be like, honey I'm going to the bathroom>>>>teleport to Berlin>>>>back>>>>oh, I feel much better. :( ;D
Like the wardrobe......CS Lewis, anyone?

Good call ladybug.  He really had no problem fitting into the shoes of Henry Gale, so I don't think it would be too hard for him to wear a variety of masks.  OOOH symbolism.  Maybe that is why he has so many around his house, eh?
Nice call!

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2008, 02:44:58 PM »
OH DUH wardrobe!  I see it now!  Geez.  Way to be on top of things!