Author Topic: Why is Ben Sayids Boss off the island?  (Read 18199 times)

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Ben Sayids Boss off the island?
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2008, 01:30:52 PM »
I have ANOTHER possibility concerning who Kate's 'he' may be.  When she returns as an Oceanic 6, there's no way the Feds didn't recognize their fugitive.  How could she meet Jack at the airport if she's were back in the hoosegow?  Clearly, the authorities have either reduced her sentence to probation, or she had already had a trial and got off somehow (justifiable homicide?).  That would leave her a free woman.  To go on Oprah and seek forgiveness. To give 'ole Kevin a second try.  She could fly him out from Miami, and he could get a job with the LAPD.  Kevin could be Kate's 'he'.

Kate's training in the real world - tracking lore learned from her father, poise & cunning learned from her con lifestyle - was perfectly suited for the rigors of island castaway life.  But now in the real world again, no longer a fugitive, her transition back to a 'normal' person must be difficult.  Can she possibly settle down?  She may be like a homeless person who has been homeless so long that, even given an apartment to stay in, ends up back on the street. Can Kate rewire her brain to find happiness with, as Bilbo Baggins described it, the simple life?

I love this post.  You have perfectly summarized Kate's dilemma.  And I love the idea that Kevin is still with her.  Thanks, LOA!

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2008, 07:12:15 PM »
About Kate's redemption...
I'm not sure, but if someone is declared dead isn't he absolved of his sentence, even if (s)he "comes back to life"?

Offline E-Rich

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2008, 07:15:19 PM »
About Kate's redemption...
I'm not sure, but if someone is declared dead isn't he absolved of his sentence, even if (s)he "comes back to life"?
excellent point.....i don't know if it is 100% true - but a good point.  I think they still go through with her trial though....

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2008, 07:45:46 PM »
All it would take is for a prosecutor to present evidence that she is indeed alive, and surely a judge could overturn a coroner's prior declaration of a person's death. 

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2008, 08:19:20 PM »
Kate's evil.  Ben (or Abaddon) will get her out of her legal stuff if only she makes her deal with the devil and starts doing their bidding (or agrees not to tell anyone about the island).

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2008, 09:40:05 PM »
I dunno.  I think her island time has made her a worker in the light.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2008, 11:48:10 PM »
To get back to the original question, Sayid is a follower(soldier), Ben is a leader...I know it sounds kind of complex, but thats as simple as I can make it...

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2008, 11:57:02 PM »
And Cowboy gets 10 points for getting us back on topic about Sayid in a thread about Ben being Sayid's boss!

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2008, 12:18:08 AM »
Although about Kate, this could equally be about Sayid:      ;) ;) ;) ;)
Kate's evil. 

I think her [Kate's] island time has made her a worker in the light.

How easy it is to employ a yin-yang, dualist, good vs. evil lens to evaluate our Losties.  I prefer to hope that TPTB are alluding to a wave-particle duality (http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/w/wave-particle_duality.htm) in which we move beyond a discredited dialectical materialism.  How else to explain a serial killer/torturer who just may be serving noble purposes?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 12:20:30 AM by Lion of Atreides »

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2008, 12:20:45 AM »
Although about Kate, this could equally be about Sayid:                ;) ;) ;) ;)
Kate's evil. 

I think her [Kate's] island time has made her a worker in the light.

How easy it is to employ a yin-yang, dualist, good vs. evil lens to evaluate our Losties.  I prefer to hope that TPTB are alluding to a wave-particle duality (http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/w/wave-particle_duality.htm) in which we move beyond a discredited dialectical materialism.  How else to explain a serial killer/torturer who just may be serving noble purposes?

Wow.  Here I saw you on and was gonna say, Howdy, Lion!  But I feel sort of like SpongeBob now because you said "discredited dialectical materialism."  :P

*slinking away to the kids room...*

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2008, 12:38:53 AM »
Denghit I thought it was Jung and the duality of man....

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 21, 2008, 12:43:55 AM »
Ben as a boss would be like that episode of the Family Guy where Stewie loans Brian money and in return, Brian has to work it off by being a telemarketer for some ponzi scheme business the baby has created.  It was on tbs two nights ago.  Priceless.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2008, 01:05:23 AM »
Ben as a boss would be like that episode of the Family Guy where Stewie loans Brian money and in return, Brian has to work it off by being a telemarketer for some ponzi scheme business the baby has created.  It was on tbs two nights ago.  Priceless.
hmm I guess it would help if I watched FamilyGuy....I don't get it...

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2008, 01:33:21 AM »
I think Kate's "he" was a kid she had with Sawyer and I think Sawyer is either dead or left on the island.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2008, 01:50:58 AM »

Wow.  Here I saw you on and was gonna say, Howdy, Lion!  But I feel sort of like SpongeBob now because you said "discredited dialectical materialism."  :P

*slinking away to the kids room...*

:o  I just had to incorporate a little Marxism somehow, having been inspired by Damon & Carlton's amusing Podcast discussion of Politburo members & polar bears.