Author Topic: Missile a time warp?  (Read 22017 times)

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Missile a time warp?
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2008, 12:50:57 PM »
I think that if there is a time barrier to the island, and that missle was travelling rapidly across it, then it would be very difficult for a helicopter or a boat to cross unless they had perfect navigation like a computer.  Yet, we see a drunk guy flying through an electrical storm and they make it.

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2008, 12:52:59 PM »
Another excellent point.  So island time is the same as real world time.  Like, if i look at my clock at it says 10:10, sayid will look at his watch and it will say 10:10.  its just the "wrinkle" between the island and me that is off?
I think that sound correct.  It's is almost like there is a "maze" between the island and the outside world.  Time moves the same on either side, but you can't just take a direct route from one to the other.  Apparently Ben may know the trap door to the "maze".  Best analogy I can come up with.
I think you have nailed it. Sounds very real, and doesn't go into "time travel" crazy stuff.
Also, might explain how Walt became "tall". They got stuck in the maze, somehow he aged.
Does that mean we're going to see an old Michael??
Geez, if he was a screamer before, imagine now: a hard-of-hearing old man!
Pleeeaaase writers/producers: maybe he died of old age in the boat???
I'll take Christian coming back anyday, but keep "MYBOY" Michael out of the show!!!!!! rsrsrsrsrsr....

i said something along these lines in another thread

Offline Bud

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2008, 02:53:48 PM »
i have a theory that the missile went once around the planet before it landed and this took 31mins. what speed would it have to be traveling to do 1 circumference of the planet in that time?

Offline Savior

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2008, 02:55:26 PM »
That little thing must be very fuel efficient to make it around the world.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2008, 02:56:27 PM »
So lets say it went around the world.  But that doesn't explain the time difference.  As the clock is ticking in the rocket on its path around the world, Dan's clock is ticking out the same. 

Offline Falam

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2008, 05:06:18 PM »
Agreed that time moves the same on the other side.  But I think the maze analogy doesn't work.  For one, the missile/payload flew in gentle arcs, which would not be conducive to a convoluted maze with sharp turns.  Also, I've seen a documentary on those people who have amateur rocket competitions, and I recall that those rockets flew for seconds, maybe a minute tops.  No way something so small as tonight's rocket/payload could carry enough fuel to stay airborne for 31 minutes.  It had to have 'truly' flown for just the 28 seconds.  If there was somehow a 'gap' of hundreds of miles between the island and the boat out in the real world,  then neither the one-way missile nor Frank's round trip on the chopper would have enough fuel for that uncalculated for increase in distance.

Admittedly, I don't know much about space-time continuum and the theory of relativity, but since the clock in the missle was 31 minutes off from Faraday's clock, wouldn't it have HAD to been in the air for those 31 minutes? I mean, isn't the clock just a man-made digital object?  For Faraday to make the conclusion of a time-delay or whatever, the clocks must've been synchronised originally.

Offline *MaZ*

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2008, 05:45:28 PM »
;)

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
every time i see this thread i start singing....

*********lets do the time warp again..........

Offline MDSkinner

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2008, 05:58:00 PM »
Agreed that time moves the same on the other side.  But I think the maze analogy doesn't work.  For one, the missile/payload flew in gentle arcs, which would not be conducive to a convoluted maze with sharp turns.  Also, I've seen a documentary on those people who have amateur rocket competitions, and I recall that those rockets flew for seconds, maybe a minute tops.  No way something so small as tonight's rocket/payload could carry enough fuel to stay airborne for 31 minutes.  It had to have 'truly' flown for just the 28 seconds.  If there was somehow a 'gap' of hundreds of miles between the island and the boat out in the real world,  then neither the one-way missile nor Frank's round trip on the chopper would have enough fuel for that uncalculated for increase in distance.

Admittedly, I don't know much about space-time continuum and the theory of relativity, but since the clock in the missle was 31 minutes off from Faraday's clock, wouldn't it have HAD to been in the air for those 31 minutes? I mean, isn't the clock just a man-made digital object?  For Faraday to make the conclusion of a time-delay or whatever, the clocks must've been synchronised originally.

Perhaps the rocket instead of being in the air for those extra 30 minutes just removed itself from time for 30 minutes before reappearing (making the other clock keep going and it stay the same).  At this point anything is possible.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2008, 06:07:18 PM »

Here's a possibility.  Time moves at the same rate on the island as it does off the island.  Let's say the bubble around the island is 100' thick.  When within that 100', time moves at a much faster clip.  So while the missile is traversing the 100', it's clock speeds up.  But from the perspective of both Dan on the Island & Regina on the boat, time appears to move normally.  

Wikipedia's definition of special relativity includes:

Special relativity overthrows Newtonian notions of absolute space
     and time by stating that time and space are perceived differently
     in the sense that measurements of length and time intervals depend on
     the motion of the observer.

Somehow, when within that 100' bubble envelope, motion, and thus the flow of time, is different.  Not time travel tho!  And it is perceived differently on either side of the bubble envelope.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2008, 07:35:07 PM »

;D

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2008, 11:31:13 PM »
Relativity doesn't work here cause the speed of the rocket could never be enough to make a difference.  As objects go faster and faster, particularly as they approach the speed of light, their mass expands (look up E=mc squared stuff) and it takes more energy to go faster.  Relativity was tested by flying KC-135's around with special clocks on them that were then measured....after thousands of miles of flight at 600 mph....to me within microseconds of those on the ground.  Relativity takes speed and time so forget about this theory in practical applications of warping space time.  All of this came from wikipedia.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2008, 03:43:06 PM »
This does not necessarily diminish the likelihood of relativity being important down to zero.  Within the 'maelstrom', i.e. bubble, around the island, there is surely something going on that affects matter but not EM waves.

I am guessing that the writers have considered incorporating both novel, proven theories in physics, along with theoretical work like MPUs, string theory, dark matter, etc.  They'll choose a mixture of proven & theoretical physics, to reach an optimal balance of believability and the wow factor.

I can't imagine anything from Physics 101 to explain the unexpected result from Dan's rocket experiment.  So why not something from the cutting edge? Regardless, I bet Dan keeps his conclusions to himself for a while longer.  While Jack has been called a Man of Science, his curiousity in Dan's experiment was rather tepid.  He cowered under the tree, for Pete's sake! And afterward he didn't press Dan to explain the result. How disappointed I am in Jack.

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2008, 03:56:49 PM »
The gravity required to warp space time to that degree would make pancakes out of all the survivors and ben would be a flat piece of bacon.  Forget relativity.  I think they've gone outside of strict science on this one.  Sure, they'll give some magic box answer with a device that looks either mysterious or scientific.  But, there won't be some strict explanation based on relativity or strict quantum mechanics.   My husband has been explaining some of this to me.  He loves lost but won't take to the idea of visiting a fan page.  His loss :-\  But, the show keeps adding all of these whacky things and I think it is getting more difficult to tie them all together without some really wierd, bizarre, explanation.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2008, 07:45:50 PM »
If I were to fall into a Black Hole and you were watching from a distance, I would just go right in. But to me I would be falling forever, until I get ripped apart from gravity.

So If she fired a rocket and watched in go all the way in, but the rocket had more inflight time from the "Black Hole" effect.

As for the real time talking to the boat, I think the "Barrier/Bubble" has a hole in the top to allow the satellite phone signal in and out with no problems. The phones are not like walkie talkies with a line of sight transmissions. The signal goes up to space and back down.

I hope this makes sense to someone cause I just confused myself.