Author Topic: Missile a time warp?  (Read 19163 times)

Offline E.S.B.

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Missile a time warp?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 11:33:58 PM »
But it's not just the clocks are messed up - because it actually took longer for the payload to get there.  This was seriously weird.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 11:36:53 PM »
Minkowski was the first person to coin the phrase "spacetime" according to ABC's pop ups on the latest recap epi.

I think the payload definitely took longer, not just "appeared" to take longer.

And notice how it took 2.5 hours on island time for it to arrive when it should have taken less than 8 seconds at the speed Regina was counting?

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 11:37:09 PM »
Maybe it just slows down physical objects....radio waves travel to the ionosphere and back to earth...beyond the scope of the island...

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 11:39:09 PM »
Yeah.  Good call.  But then there is the question of the real-time conversation! Ok. So the rocket was 31 minutes LATER than island time, right?  So it wasn't just a question of if the rocket got caught up somewhere....it seems like the boat is in a location that is 31 (3+1=4!!!!) minutes AHEAD of the island.  You know how they picked up that Glenn Miller song?  Maybe it seemed real time to us...but it took that long for the waves to.....wave there...:(

it's not a question of the object being slowed down, because the time would be the same.  The rocket would have arrived 31 minutes later, say it got held up in the atmosphere, but the time should have been the same. 

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 11:41:21 PM »
They keep bringing up the Red Sox winning the world series. I want on of the boat guys to say, "Can you believe it has been six months or  a year" Then the losties would know time is screwed up.

Offline FoxyMama

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 11:42:46 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime

Not gonna quote all that here, but they've got some interesting information about that space/time continuum stuff. 

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 11:43:44 PM »
Ah quote it!

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 11:47:48 PM »
The missile itself didn't "age" for that 31 minutes, right? That's how it's like Back to the Future -- the clocks were 31 minutes apart. The missile's clock was timed as if it had landed when it was supposed to land. And yet it didn't land then. 

So which part of the area is in the distortion? Is it somewhere right offshore, which is why Daniel urged Lapidus to take the exact same path back to the freighter.

Do I have this right so far?  And why does my brain hurt?  ;)

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 11:51:14 PM »
Ok.  So say at 2:40 Dan makes the call.  It would seem that at 2:40 Regina recieved the call end sent out the beacon.  But really, it's more like at 2:40 Dan makes the call, and then at 3:11 Regina recieves the call (31 minutes later) and sends out the beacon.  That could be explainable if there wasn't the fact that they were having a conversation. 

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 11:58:35 PM »
Using relativity, what time/speed combinations would produce the difference?  Also, what is the range of that rocket?  Certainly not enough to get the result we saw. ??? ???

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 11:59:55 PM »
it is up on the investigation page. Time difference is 31 minutes 19 seconds

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2008, 12:02:49 AM »
3+1=4, 9-1=8.  God.  I am SO good.  :P

The way i see it there are three options.

1. Something messed up the clock.  Magnetism messing around, faulty equipment...something like that.

2. Regina sent the rocket off later than she said she would.  :-[

3. Regina sent the rocket off at the time Dan asked her too, but passing through the island's barrier means a time disturbance.

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2008, 12:06:11 AM »
3+1=4, 9-1=8.  God.  I am SO good.  :P

The way i see it there are three options.

1. Something messed up the clock.  Magnetism messing around, faulty equipment...something like that.

2. Regina sent the rocket off later than she said she would.  :-[

3. Regina sent the rocket off at the time Dan asked her too, but passing through the island's barrier means a time disturbance.

It's gotta be #3.  She was tracking it all the way to the beacon and Dan thought for sure it would be there.  It's like it got stuck or something in the barrier.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2008, 12:10:24 AM »
Ok, so if we go with three... does that mean that island time is the same as off island time, and it was the journey through the barrier causes the disturbance?  That explains the ability to have a real time conversation...it's like the rocket was in another dimension or something for 31 minutes.  So the 'barrier' is really a segway to.   another dimension!  or..something.  maybe that is part of the deal with the whispers...the spirits leave but are stuck halfway between the island and....now i'm making stuff up hardcore....

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2008, 12:12:05 AM »
Well we certainly know the ride to the Island can get pretty bumpy near the end (according to Ethan)!