Author Topic: theory on numbers  (Read 2964 times)

Offline bno67

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
theory on numbers
« on: February 09, 2008, 06:52:33 PM »
not sure if this has been brought up yet, but there are six numbers 4 8 15 16 23 42, and there are now six survivors of the flight, and in season one kate told hurley that 23,000 dollars was the reward for her capture, i wonder if each one of the survivors has a attachment to one of the numbers
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 08:32:35 PM by Jugdish »

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: theory on numers
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 08:25:36 PM »
Welcome!!

Those numbers show up everywhere. Sometimes they're probably meaningful, but often they're not. There was a scene in the Sydney airport where we see the numbers on the backs of six soccer players ....

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: theory on numbers
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 11:30:00 PM »
the numbers refer to the producer's favorite episodes of "The Family Guy."

Offline Lost Ed

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 02:42:25 PM »
The numbers have been explained as much as they are going to be explained, according to the powerful bees, in the Lost Experience.  However, yours is not the first time I've heard of this possibility.  6 numbers, and Oceanic six.  So...if Kate is 23,000 dollars, what references are there for Jack and Hurley, since at this time, we know they are two of the six along with Kate.  If this theory holds...that info is probably out there already.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 05:58:50 PM »
Welcome Ed.

We're 60% of the way through the series and so far the only main character affected by the numbers is Hurley - with a nod to Danielle as she followed them to the island. If they're gonna play a major role, we need to start hearing about them outside of Easter Eggs.

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 03:31:06 PM »
Very good point LostAndSeek, it appears that references to the numbers (aside from Hurley and Danielle) are more for our (the viewer) benefit rather than any of the characters. Id never looked at it like that before.

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 01:35:10 PM »
EDIT (02/21/08):

New sequence of numbers, not sure if it means anything, but here it goes:

30 ...Hugo lead the cops on a 30 minute chase
31 ...Island has a 31 minute time variance
32 ...3.2 million asked for in return for Mile's silence about Ben
(and 33 and 34) "Why not 3.3 or 3.4?" )

if there is a 35 mentioned in one way or another is an upcoming episode, I might plotz  ;) :D ;D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 04:06:11 PM by Shimozu (Jungle Otter) »

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 10:58:19 PM »
i heard and interesting theory on a podcast, not sure which one. miles asked for 3.2 mil right. 3,200,000, a 3 a 2 and 5 zeros. 325 was the heading ben told mike to follow on the boat and in the little next week on lost thing they showed after the episode there was a close up on lapidis' choppers heading and it was 325.

just kinda interesting

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 11:49:35 AM »
HF - that's more interesting that what I noticed - cool  :)

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 07:51:16 PM »
They tie these numbers in as much as possible.  Didn't they stem from the Valenzetti Equation though.
That's the date Cheney becomes supreme ruler of earth and we will all be his slaves.

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 01:16:54 AM »
That's the date Cheney becomes supreme ruler of earth and we will all be his slaves.

I thought it was me  :-\ have to re-check my calculations  :(

Offline jkuehn

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 02:52:18 PM »
well with this recent episode they were quite integral in the time travel device. well 2.342

Offline ozman776

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 11:44:18 PM »
guess we can cross this question off THE LIST of unanswered mind bending sleepless night significances... or can we???

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 02:12:12 AM »
I'm glad to see the numbers correspond to particular people.  I've long thought that would be the case.  But I don't consider that we have an explanation of what the numbers mean yet; so I'm definitely hoping for much more.

These six numbers were already known to the Dharma Initiative in 1977 when they were inscribed on the Swan hatch.

Seems like if you already knew the "magic numbers", then you'd be trying to calculate what people correspond to them.  Like numerology or something.  But on the ceiling that the number precedes the name, like Jacob was conjuring up what person corresponded to every number -- and then he went back and touched the ones who corresponded to the "magic numbers".

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 03:17:55 PM »
I think they explained the numbers.

FARADAY: ...I studied relativistic physics my entire life. One thing emerged over and over--can't change the past. Can't do it. Whatever happened, happened. All right? But then I finally realized... I had been spending so much time focused on the constants, I forgot about the variables. Do you know what the variables in these equations are, Jack?

JACK: [Chuckles] No.

FARADAY: Us. We're the variables. People. We think. We reason. We make choices. We have free will. We can change our destiny.

The numbers changed the timeline. The constants are Sawyer's parents being killed, Locke in a wheelchair, Hurley winning the lottery, everybody meeting and time itself. The variables are the choices they make. Different choices lead to different history. In the crashtimeline their choices were manipulated. But choices are always manipulated. People always try to justify their choices with science (Faraday), with the greater good (mr. Eko), with faith (Richard), with money (Widmore, Paik), with revenge (Sawyer). Some people can never choose (Kate). What for some is good (Jacob) for others is bad (MIB). And if you choose for what you think is good (Kate killing her stephfather), you can forget that other people made their own choises and have their own vision on life (Kate's mother loved that man).
We see that in the LAX-timeline the (choices of the) numbers create another world than the same numbers in the other timeline.
The Valenzetti-equation is to manipulate the numbers into other choices to save the island or something like that.
I don't think they will explain the numbers, because it is no equation at all, so there is no outcome.