Author Topic: Flash Forward Or Barely Forward...  (Read 3131 times)

Offline nikarro

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Flash Forward Or Barely Forward...
« on: February 08, 2008, 11:18:54 PM »
Jack and Hurley's Flashforward Episodes seem to me as though they are not as far in the future of them as people as we think.  What I mean is they have been off the island a little while but maybe far more time has passed in the real world during the hundred or so days they were on the island.  Lots of things support this I think, and in connection to this episode, somehow in 90 days the plane crashes, then later found and then Naomi and that Abbaddon guy put this team together then organize everything just right WHILE Ben is somehow figuring it all out enough to put someone on their boat....ALL in 90 days?  Maybe not, maybe it has been much longer that they have actually been on the island and a lot of time has passed in the real world.  I like the theory too that Micheal is on the freighter, and if he has been off of the island for a longer time than we think, than maybe that is possible....

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Flash Forward Or Barely Forward...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 11:21:21 PM »
Whenever the "time passes differently" theory comes up I ask how Charlie was able to have a realtime conversation with Penny..... ;)

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 11:33:55 PM »
Their conversation does not necessarily discount the time passing differently.  Obviously, we can't tell how much time has passed for her, and it's not as if she'd have aged considerably.  We may be only talking about half-time for Island inhabitants.

If you mean that their conversation would be distorted because Charlie would sound like a 33 1/3 and Penny would be a 78 speed, I would explain it be blaming the digital transmission method.  You can see that her image is boxy like watching a crummy bootleg DVD (not that anyone here would do that) or poor satellite signal.  Digital video is sent in packets, even when it's streaming live.   It would be like little 5-second clips sent sequentially and reassembled, rather than like an analog radio broadcast or something subject to the Doppler Effect.

Really, I'm only attempting to explain away a very real inconsistentcy that you brilliantly point out.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 11:49:58 PM »
I dont think that the time is different on and off the island.  I think 90 days is plenty of time for the cover up and the rescue mission to start.

I dont believe in any of the alternate timeline and all that other mess, that is talked about on this site. 

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 11:53:24 PM »
But if that WERE true...and time was only somewhat different (not like 10 years had passed in 90 days, but more like...180 days or something like that)...how BORING would that be???

It would only be cool if it were a huge difference, like they came back and it was 20 years later. But then wouldn't people notice they hadn't aged? Oh, and Penny didn't age either! So it must not be a huge difference...and again...zzzzz

I agree that the timeline is stable. Okay, Desmond went back in time once, but THAT'S IT!

Now...multiple parallel universes...MAYBE!  ;)

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 12:16:34 AM »

If you mean that their conversation would be distorted because Charlie would sound like a 33 1/3 and Penny would be a 78 speed, I would explain it be blaming the digital transmission method.  You can see that her image is boxy like watching a crummy bootleg DVD (not that anyone here would do that) or poor satellite signal.  Digital video is sent in packets, even when it's streaming live.   It would be like little 5-second clips sent sequentially and reassembled, rather than like an analog radio broadcast or something subject to the Doppler Effect.

Really, I'm only attempting to explain away a very real inconsistentcy that you brilliantly point out.

This is what I meant and while your explanation is clever it doesn't really work. It'd still take her twice as long to say the words and the packets can't arrive faster than she says them....

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 01:29:48 AM »
But if that WERE true...and time was only somewhat different (not like 10 years had passed in 90 days, but more like...180 days or something like that)...how BORING would that be???

It would only be cool if it were a huge difference, like they came back and it was 20 years later. But then wouldn't people notice they hadn't aged? Oh, and Penny didn't age either! So it must not be a huge difference...and again...zzzzz

I agree that the timeline is stable. Okay, Desmond went back in time once, but THAT'S IT!

Now...multiple parallel universes...MAYBE!  ;)
Adam & Eve= Des & Pen?   Maybe! :D

Blackrock Bob

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 09:58:31 AM »
We saw Randy filming Hurley's car chase. Randy was working another goofy job at a cheap Best Buy type place.
Also Hurley ran into Big Mike and he asked about Anna-Lucia.

It can't be that far in the future. I would say that Hurley's flashforward was somewhere close to real time. No more than a year or so after the crash, but probably the same as Island time.

I imagine that Hurley's flashback was within a few months of them making it back, while Jacks was around a year or so.
Jack had been flying a lot, grew the beard and changed his mind about going back. Jack doesn't change his mind that easily. I imagine it took some time, and some visions for him to want to go baaaack.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 12:24:41 PM »
Bob, it's pretty certain that weird beardy Jack is 2007 or later. When the finale aired people around here recognized car and cell phone models. Also the surrounding stories to the Obit in the paper were actual stories in the LA Times c. Spring '07.

I bet you're right about Hurley's flash being very near future, so then we're probably looking at another two years before the finale's flash forward.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 12:50:36 PM »
Information sent from different bodies travelling at different velocities is subject to the doppler effect whether travelling in a doppler or analog format.  The information in a digital broadcast would be completely normal, but would arrive at either a higher frequency or lower frequency signal depending on whether you were travelling towards or away from the broadcast respectively. 

I have been trying to find landmarks to compare time and I think that the writers have been very careful on this point....even misleading.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 10:52:47 AM »
I dont think that the time is different on and off the island.  I think 90 days is plenty of time for the cover up and the rescue mission to start.

I dont believe in any of the alternate timeline and all that other mess, that is talked about on this site. 
i agree with you. 

1.  charlie talked to penny on or around 12/21/2004 (91 days on the island)
2.  hurley imagined dead charlie sometime between rescue and 2007, when jack made the call on his 2007 cell phone with his overgrown beard.
3.  jack met with kate/went to funeral in 2007 (my guess is that the actual date to be may ??, 2007 (whatever date that specific episode first aired.)
4.  when it's 2004 on the island it's 2004 off the island.  BUT when we see stuff OFF THE ISLAND, they are either flashforwarding or flashbacking, so a different time is being shown.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 03:03:23 PM »
I am in the middle, the producers said there is something funny with time. But no way is it all about multiple timelines.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 06:17:28 PM »

2.  hurley imagined dead charlie sometime between rescue and 2007, when jack made the call on his 2007 cell phone with his overgrown beard.
3.  jack met with kate/went to funeral in 2007 (my guess is that the actual date to be may ??, 2007 (whatever date that specific episode first aired.)
4.  when it's 2004 on the island it's 2004 off the island.  BUT when we see stuff OFF THE ISLAND, they are either flashforwarding or flashbacking, so a different time is being shown.

Good summary, LB, I agree completely.

Hey, shouldn't it be Christmas pretty soon! That's actually relevant. If the Dream team and the Losties agree on Xmas it'll be more confirmation time has moved the same on and off island.

Offline E-Rich

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 11:12:36 PM »

i agree with you. 

Why does everyone think Jack's Razr is a 2007 model?  The first model came out several years before...he could easily be talking ALOT earlier than 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_RAZR

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 03:52:16 AM »
because he wasnt talking on a Razr it was a KRZR which came out at the end of 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_KRZR_K1