Author Topic: Flash Forward Or Barely Forward...  (Read 3659 times)

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Flash Forward Or Barely Forward...
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 10:26:15 AM »
Whenever the "time passes differently" theory comes up I ask how Charlie was able to have a realtime conversation with Penny..... ;)

Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean the looking glass??

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 10:28:19 AM »

1.  charlie talked to penny on or around 12/21/2004 (91 days on the island)
2.  hurley imagined dead charlie sometime between rescue and 2007, when jack made the call on his 2007 cell phone with his overgrown beard.
3.  jack met with kate/went to funeral in 2007 (my guess is that the actual date to be may ??, 2007 (whatever date that specific episode first aired.)
4.  when it's 2004 on the island it's 2004 off the island.  BUT when we see stuff OFF THE ISLAND, they are either flashforwarding or flashbacking, so a different time is being shown.

Good summary, LB, I agree completely.

Hey, shouldn't it be Christmas pretty soon! That's actually relevant. If the Dream team and the Losties agree on Xmas it'll be more confirmation time has moved the same on and off island.
hmm....  i hadn't thought of this!  good thoughts!  i hope they can agree on Christmas, so that we can establish they are on the same timeline!

Offline nikarro

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 03:09:35 PM »
Whenever the "time passes differently" theory comes up I ask how Charlie was able to have a realtime conversation with Penny..... ;)

Because he was NO LONGER on the island...

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 03:11:32 PM »

Because he was NO LONGER on the island...

Then how did his two female captors and Patchy talk to Ben who was on the island?

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 04:25:11 PM »
But if that WERE true...and time was only somewhat different (not like 10 years had passed in 90 days, but more like...180 days or something like that)...how BORING would that be???

It would only be cool if it were a huge difference, like they came back and it was 20 years later. But then wouldn't people notice they hadn't aged? Oh, and Penny didn't age either! So it must not be a huge difference...and again...zzzzz

I agree that the timeline is stable. Okay, Desmond went back in time once, but THAT'S IT!

Now...multiple parallel universes...MAYBE!  ;)
You can't seriously mean that if in fact you were able to 'time travel' even one day into the future or back into the past to know what was happening tomorrow or to try to 'change' things that happened yesterday, that it wouldn't be the most far out, cool, and explosive thing to ever happen to mankind?

With only one day's notice, one could change world events, become a soothsayer, win lotteries, and save lives.  The fact that the story of Lost is "messing with time" somehow cannot be denied. How and why it is being done is still a mystery, but even if it were for a short period of a year, it would be a major breakthrough for science, and certainly a game changer for the rest of the world.

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 04:56:13 PM »
But if that WERE true...and time was only somewhat different (not like 10 years had passed in 90 days, but more like...180 days or something like that)...how BORING would that be???

It would only be cool if it were a huge difference, like they came back and it was 20 years later. But then wouldn't people notice they hadn't aged? Oh, and Penny didn't age either! So it must not be a huge difference...and again...zzzzz

I agree that the timeline is stable. Okay, Desmond went back in time once, but THAT'S IT!

You can't seriously mean that if in fact you were able to 'time travel' even one day into the future or back into the past to know what was happening tomorrow or to try to 'change' things that happened yesterday, that it wouldn't be the most far out, cool, and explosive thing to ever happen to mankind?

With only one day's notice, one could change world events, become a soothsayer, win lotteries, and save lives.  The fact that the story of Lost is "messing with time" somehow cannot be denied. How and why it is being done is still a mystery, but even if it were for a short period of a year, it would be a major breakthrough for science, and certainly a game changer for the rest of the world.

Sure, that would be great in real life. I mean, I'd be a millionaire from winning the lottery! But there is no lottery on Lost. And in the context of being on an island while the rest of the world goes on around you one day off...boring.

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 07:51:51 PM »

Sure, that would be great in real life. I mean, I'd be a millionaire from winning the lottery! But there is no lottery on Lost. And in the context of being on an island while the rest of the world goes on around you one day off...boring.
The one day reference was only used in terms of making a point.  I'm sure we are looking at only a few years difference here, at most 20 years or so (1984 DHARMA).  One doesn't have to alter time by 1,000 years to solve the Valenzetti equation and work to prevent the end of the world 'from the past'.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 07:58:56 PM »
I'm just remember what Richard said to Juliet at the airport...
RICHARD: I know that erm, six months sounds like an eternity but, you're gonna be amazed at how time flies once you're there.
I know it isn't much to base a theory on, but with other references about time and whatnot (specifically the langoliers is what i'm thinking...) I don't think it is too much to think that time on the island moves a bit different...or is out of step slightly with the rest of the world.

....yeah time flies when you are having fun...he could have meant that...but...but...

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 10:11:07 AM »
Maybe time does go faster on the island and that's why Penny was confused about the boat.  Maybe she hadn't gotten to that point in time to send one or be on one??

I don't believe that Naomi's boat is Penny's, but maybe that's why Penny was questioning "what boat"??

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 10:13:27 AM »
Maybe time does go faster on the island and that's why Penny was confused about the boat.  Maybe she hadn't gotten to that point in time to send one or be on one??

I don't believe that Naomi's boat is Penny's, but maybe that's why Penny was questioning "what boat"??

Oooh, I like that - kind of like how Des praised Locke's speech before he gave it! 

((((AMY)))))  Your beautiful little light is on!!

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 11:51:39 AM »
If time goes faster on the island, it would have no bearing on Penny, the boat, and Naomi. They all originated OFF the island. Naomi came, said she was hired by Penny Widmore (OFF the island). Penny didnt' have any clue (again, OFF the island). So if the timeline thing is a possibility, then one would have to assume two different timelines OFF the island.

And my point about 20 years vs 1 day was merely to point out that 20 years is not feasible (Penny isn't 20 years older in the communication), and 1 day would be almost pointless for gripping the minds of television viewers. The time difference would have to be enough to impact events in a significant way...but not so much as to give it away by aging actors 20 years.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 01:33:47 PM »
If time goes faster on the island, it would have no bearing on Penny, the boat, and Naomi. They all originated OFF the island. Naomi came, said she was hired by Penny Widmore (OFF the island). Penny didnt' have any clue (again, OFF the island). So if the timeline thing is a possibility, then one would have to assume two different timelines OFF the island.
And my point about 20 years vs 1 day was merely to point out that 20 years is not feasible (Penny isn't 20 years older in the communication), and 1 day would be almost pointless for gripping the minds of television viewers. The time difference would have to be enough to impact events in a significant way...but not so much as to give it away by aging actors 20 years.

*cough...alternate realities...cough*  ;)

post #4982

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 02:22:36 PM »

*cough...alternate realities...cough*  ;)

post #4982

I agree, for now. Until we learn otherwise, the evidence from Season 3 finale is compelling. Jack talking about his father, Kate not in jail, Jack's statement "We weren't supposed to leave."

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 04:06:30 PM »

Well to say that time moves faster on the island is to imply a "than what?"
Time moves faster than what?  It moves faster than the time off the island. 

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2008, 04:17:42 PM »
but if time moves faster on the island than the rest of the world did they have to go back in time to get to the place in the flashforwards?  you know what.  i'm done watching lost.  i'm going to pick up something less mind boggling.  like dora the explorer.