Author Topic: Recruitment of the dropees  (Read 1579 times)

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Recruitment of the dropees
« on: February 11, 2008, 05:19:19 AM »
I have a little theory - apologies if it's already been posted.... I re-watched S4E2 last night and think i spotted something, tell me what you think about it.

After Frank drops his toy plane in the fish tank he goes over to the tv which is a little fuzzy, it's reporting about the missing plane. Then the screen goes snowy and staticy, he hits the side of the tv and the screen clears. It then shows the pic of the Pilot without the wedding ring and displays the telephone number to call...

Here's my theory... Dharma interrupted normal broadcasting on his tv and fed him an image they knew he would spot the anomoly and gave him THEIR phone number. If he calls in - he's hired. The rest of the world's tv probably went to the weather or something, but Dharma in their infinate capacity to get what they want, recruited him there and then. OH and his special ability was simply the fact that he should have been on the island all along.

Next stage....
Charlotte knows something about Dharma but not much - it's all still mythical... Dharma know she is on to them so want her recruited to keep her quiet. (Keep your enemies closer?) They arrange for a fake archaeological dig in Tunisia, and plant a polar bear skeleton wearing a dharma collar, knowing she will find it and fuel her enthusiam to find out more. They knew she would be useful too - to unearth info about the natives - the pre-dharmaites and their special link to the island.

If it was a genuine dig a wad of cash wouldn't get her into the site - Mr FrenchSpeaking Tunisian was part of the set-up too.

Time will tell how the Ghostbuster and Physicist were recruited...

ok flame away....
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 05:47:47 AM by Dizzybeckster »

Offline Lostfanchrim

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Recruitment of the dropees
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 10:22:04 AM »
I have a little theory - apologies if it's already been posted.... I re-watched S4E2 last night and think i spotted something, tell me what you think about it.

After Frank drops his toy plane in the fish tank he goes over to the tv which is a little fuzzy, it's reporting about the missing plane. Then the screen goes snowy and staticy, he hits the side of the tv and the screen clears. It then shows the pic of the Pilot without the wedding ring and displays the telephone number to call...

Here's my theory... Dharma interrupted normal broadcasting on his tv and fed him an image they knew he would spot the anomoly and gave him THEIR phone number. If he calls in - he's hired. The rest of the world's tv probably went to the weather or something, but Dharma in their infinate capacity to get what they want, recruited him there and then. OH and his special ability was simply the fact that he should have been on the island all along.

Next stage....
Charlotte knows something about Dharma but not much - it's all still mythical... Dharma know she is on to them so want her recruited to keep her quiet. (Keep your enemies closer?) They arrange for a fake archaeological dig in Tunisia, and plant a polar bear skeleton wearing a dharma collar, knowing she will find it and fuel her enthusiam to find out more. They knew she would be useful too - to unearth info about the natives - the pre-dharmaites and their special link to the island.

If it was a genuine dig a wad of cash wouldn't get her into the site - Mr FrenchSpeaking Tunisian was part of the set-up too.

Time will tell how the Ghostbuster and Physicist were recruited...

ok flame away....

That would explain why the pilot was killed by smokey so soon after the crash. He wasn't the guy who was supposed to be there. I guess Smokey was expecting someone else. I don't doubt Hanso/Widmore/DHarma has connections and power and can pretty much control any situation they want in order to get what they want so, your theory has merit.

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 10:24:32 AM »
cool - thanks - like the Pilot connection there too.... that makes perfect sense... ;)

Offline Swank13

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 10:45:43 AM »
Dizzy

Why i enjoy your enthusiastic conspiracy theory, you think that it may be easier for them to just monitor the calls coming into the Oceanic number, rather then broadcasting to just one man.  Also they may not have been aware that the Pilot was obviously replaced last second.

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 10:48:28 AM »
when have they EVER done anything the easy way? ;)

Blackrock Bob

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 11:38:40 AM »
when have they EVER done anything the easy way? ;)

You mean pushing a button every 108 minutes isn't the easy way. ;)

There are some very nasty people behind the scenes. I wouldn't put anything past them. Look how Juliette was recruited, her ex-husband was killed.

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 12:32:30 PM »
i would have agreed to this last week, but after watching the episode for a 874374975th time over the weekend, this is how i feel

naomi - was hired as an outside contractor to protect Team Dropped

drunk pilot - was hired to be pilot guy, knowing he was SUPPOSED to be there to begin with

charlotte - part of the company who funded DHARMA, she appears to have wanted to be part of dharma back in the day

dan - same as charlotte

i say this because of how Miles approached Juliet and how the pilot and Dan reacted once they found out she was a "native", they all looked shocked, and imediately wanted to confront her about Ben, they all seemed to have known why they were going there

i'll elaborate more, but i'm a bit busy at work right now LOL

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 12:35:21 PM »

Seems like alot of trouble to go through but at least I would feel better about the fact that the media would never show a rotting corpse on network TV!  And maybe Smokie missed the original pilot because he wasn't supposed to be there, and then the 'chosen' Losties came along and did him the favor of pointing him out to Smokie!  Oh well, they meant well!

Offline lostatsea

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 12:47:27 PM »
they could have messed with the TV thingy just like they did in The Game

http://imdb.com/title/tt0119174/

Offline Swank13

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 01:29:42 PM »
Well as I can see how you would see that they wouldn't do it the easy way.  The interesting thing here is the motivation for these people hunting Ben, what is it? 

I think that all of these people have a vested interesting in something other then Ben and were "recruited" as such.  If there is no vested interest then there needs to be either a threat or maybe money.  As I see it

The Pilot:  "They" aren't going to allow him to go public so they offer him the chance to go look for survivors where the flight may have crashed. 

Charlotte: After recording a "Dharma" discovery they obviously can't let her go public so they offer her the chance to go look for the island where all of the answers would be explained...

Dan:  Maybe he was involved in testing electromagnetical anomalies and felt that the plane disappeared due one in the same area the flight was thought to be lost.

Ghost buster guy:  I was actually thinking that the woman who's house he goes to is related to the "Boss" this is his connection to the team and is lured purely by money.

I do feel the coincidence that we will soon come to realize is that they were all meant to be on the plane and for one reason or another they never got there.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 03:23:14 PM »
I want to know why Dan was so upset at the begining of the episode.  Did he know someone on the plane like Frank did?  Was he also supposed to be on it?  Here's what I've got to say!

The plane was SUPPOSED to crash (I'll stick with that to the bitter end) and the pilot was supposed to bring them there.  Because, of course, the pilot was also working with Hanso/Dharma.  Frank is no regular pilot, he is a 'damn good pilot' so probably has more experience than just your regular commercial airline so why would this excellent pilot be scheduled for a flight that any regular commercial pilot could handle?  Because that plane was going to encounter a little more than your regular turbulance- it was going to encounter the island.  But why wasn't Frank the one flying that plane?  I don't know, maybe his drinking?

Uh...more later maybe.

Offline FoxyMama

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 08:53:55 PM »
Yeah, each member of team, aside from Naomi, was likely picked to shut them up, cover up something they discovered.  We know that Charlotte has her ideas about Dharma, and the Drunk Pilot calls them on the fake body.  The Ghostbuster may know something since he talks to dead people.  Not sure about Dan's issue/power/thingy.   :)  But yeah, they were picked to be disposed of or left on the island.