Author Topic: Maybe Ben wants to die?  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Foxyschic

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Maybe Ben wants to die?
« on: February 08, 2008, 07:24:17 PM »
Ben has been through alot on the island to become it's leader.  He feels like the place is rightfully his, and that he is "special" because he can hear from Jacob, and hasn't managed to end up in the ditch. 

However, as a hostage, multiple times, he has barely managed to survive. From the first time Danielle finds him in the jungle, to his capture and torture in the Swan, to being under Jack's knife, to his current predicament as a hostage on a leash (I'll walk him...sounds like my dogs!!), Ben has been in some difficult places before.  He has always managed to come out on top, and Sawyer even seems to think that he, even now, has some plan to do them all in and survive yet again. 

Here is my question: What else does Ben now have to live for? Alex has "left" him so to speak.  He no longer has a following among his people--they follow Locke.  Jacob even is speaking to others and asking for help.  Ben seems to be antagonizing Sawyer, whom he knows killed Locke's dad, and even Karl, who he knows has a gun and a motive.  Even the new young woman who he had just shot.  Rather than answering Locke's question, he makes her vulnerable to the losties, and lets them know that they are after him as well. Why? Everything he says is to incite anger or to put himself in more harms way.  Does he now want to die? Does he feel like that will hurt the Losties more (because he has some secret knowledge that will save them?)

Or even more...does he know that if he dies, that he will be free? Have more power? Be closer to Jacob? (Christian was in the shack with Jacob, etc.)

Let me know what you think!! 
  :o

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe Ben wants to die?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 07:27:36 PM »
General comment about what people have to live for, because I have been reading this all over the forum. People do not need a grand reason to want to live. The vast majority of people want to live, just for living sake. Why would he want to die, why would any of them want to die.

No specifically Ben, he wants to live to protect the island. He believes it is his calling his duty. If he wanted to die he would not keep saving himself with deals. he just gave up the girl and the information about having someone on the boat to save his life. He is still fighting.

Blackrock Bob

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 07:31:03 PM »
We have no idea what happens to special people that die on the island, but I think Ben thinks that he is saving the world.
For whatever reason.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 07:34:41 PM »
Agreed.  Ben is still playing his cards.  Surely there are even more in his deck that we haven't seen yet. Plus The Others still are obeying Ben, as illustrated by their going to the temple per Ben's instructions.  And with Nestor Carbonel still contracted to CBS & Cane, only Juliet and maybe Patchy remain as known Others who could challenge Ben.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 09:24:56 PM »
If he wanted to die, he would have just let Locke kill him. Instead he gives them a very strong reason to keep him alive.

He clearly wants to live. It's unclear to me whether he really cares about the Island. He's such a manipulator that he may only care about staying in power.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 09:37:43 PM »
Ben has always stayed:
- 1 step from being killed by various Losties
- 1 step ahead of The Others who want a change
- 1 step away from being dethroned by The Island itself

He takes the great risks because he has the foreknowledge about what moves are most likely to produce desired results.  He would not benefit from sacrificing himself at this point, nor is going to give up on his mission.

And The Emperor doesn't become one with The Force upon death, only Jedi can do that.  The Dark Side only teaches how to prolong life through manipulation of nature.

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 06:06:36 PM »
If Ben wanted to die then he wouldn't have shot the girl.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 06:38:10 PM »
Foxyschic, I still think your point is taken, that Ben is a high-risk dude.  His knowledge of the island's power does seem to be his insurance policy.