Author Topic: Central Theme  (Read 1505 times)

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Central Theme
« on: February 08, 2008, 04:34:21 PM »
Lets get this party started! Any thoughts on a pervasive theme for this week?

Offline versed4every1

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Central Theme
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 04:52:12 PM »
CURT!!  Nice to see you!  I would have a hard time picking a central theme, other than (a) on Lost things are never as they seem and (b) Vincent really is a darn good dog!  But never-the-less, it is nice to see you! ;D

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 05:04:37 PM »
This was a toughie.  It was very action/ information oriented, so it's hard to find an underlying theme.  I think the story is really picking up momentum, & we're really seeing the "teams" firm up.  Trust & loyalty, truth & prespective were all in play.

Offline FrostyLosty

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 05:11:11 PM »
In my personal view point, it seems to be that everyone has switched rolls. Our Losties have become The Others and these new almost 'Captives' of ours, seem to be reminiscent of the extreme naivety our Losties suffered when they first graced this glorious island!

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 05:36:43 PM »
I'm reminded of the best season of ST: DS9, with the Dominion at war with the Federation, and The Klingons & The Cardassians flipping sides.  A very similar, dynamic Balance of Power game has been put into play on the island, with each 'team' riven with schisms, charismatic leaders, and misinformation campaigns.  However this came to be, the process is surely chaotic, and the outcome entirely not pre-determined. So my vote is for the central theme is Balance of Power, which, incidentally was and idea proposed by David Hume.  Suggesting, of course, that the island's own Desmond Hume is central to the final adjudication of this power conflict.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 05:38:58 PM »
I'm reminded of the best season of ST: DS9, with the Dominion at war with the Federation, and The Klingons & The Cardassians flipping sides.  A very similar, dynamic Balance of Power game has been put into play on the island, with each 'team' riven with schisms, charismatic leaders, and misinformation campaigns.  However this came to be, the process is surely chaotic, and the outcome entirely not pre-determined. So my vote is for the central theme is Balance of Power, which, incidentally was and idea proposed by David Hume.  Suggesting, of course, that the island's own Desmond Hume is central to the final adjudication of this power conflict.
Great post. :)

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 08:43:39 PM »
New kids on the block?

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 10:00:46 PM »
For me, the theme is Men of Science vs Men of Faith.  Choose your side.  Nothing to do with good vs evil.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 12:36:54 AM »
i find miles character and interesting juxtoposition, he seems scientific about something involving faith.

Offline therealsawyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 12:49:12 AM »
I think it has to do with how we all journey down different paths but somehow end up at the same destination.

Each member of the "rescue" party has come to the island for a different reason and we see just a touch of their journey starting from about the same time (the breaking news of 815 being "discovered" is prominent in each vignette)  The pilot's reasons are the most obvious judging by his sorrow and obsession over the crash of 815.  Farraday's reasons may be a mystery to even himself.  ("I don't know.")

I think this is one of the key themes to LOST in general especially when you look at connections.  Sawyer and Locke.  Jack and Claire.  etc.

I may not be wording this the best but I hope I'm getting my point across.

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 10:26:21 AM »
I'm settling into 'everyone is there for a purpose' but I really like LOA's post and will include it in the show.

I just feel that as a setup show this one reiterates that every is brought to the island for a reason, maybe a very specific one as well.