« on: February 08, 2008, 12:45:04 PM »
How can Ben not know what smokey is?
Or is he lying (yet) again?

Offline Schmoe

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Smokey
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 12:50:23 PM »
I thought his reaction was pretty funny.  Of all the questions you could ask, you want to know about the smoke monster?

How come they are running all over the island and he has not shown up again?  At the end of 4 01 they were by the front of the plane where smokey took the pilot.  Is smokey on vacation?  Is he mad that Juliet repelled him by activating the fence?  Is his work here done?

Offline dlarso01

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
I think Ben gassed anyone who might have know more details about smokey.

Offline Savior

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 12:55:00 PM »
I think they had John ask that question because we are dying to know the answer, so it was kind of a wink to the fans.  Here is your question, but no answer.  haha sucks to be you!  :)

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 01:25:14 PM »
Remember when Locke 'looked into the eye of the island, and it was beautiful'?  I think Locke asked about Smokie because he has seen the island's beauty and fears it's unknown evil.  I used to wonder why Smokie tried to drag him into a hole after that first 'beautiful' scene, but I never thought about the fact that there could be a 'white' smokie to act as counterpart to the one we've seen.  'Smokie the good' may have shown Locke some sort of future paradise, while "Smokie the bad' replays our troubled pasts before our eyes.  Good/evil black/white sin/redemption Genesis/Revelation

Sorry, even I'm getting tired of typing those words!   ::)

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 01:35:04 PM »
Perhaps Smokie prefers to reveal himself only to groups of people not greater than two or three individuals.  I don't recall him ever coming around when there was a large gaggle of people out & about like during the last few eps.  Perhaps there's a limit to how many minds can be 'duped' at one time.  Perhaps he prefers smaller groups to isolate a single, desired individual, so as to read that person's mind in peace.  Or to pass judgement (ala Eko) with both care and unrestrained vengeance.

Offline *MaZ*

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 01:40:31 PM »
That's what I find puzzling about Locke saying that "He looked into the eye...."
Smokey is always violent...killled the pilot, Eco, tried to get a bunch of them, including drag Locke into a hole.
We assume the peaceful visions, i.e. horse, the cow yesterday, etc. are smokey manifestations...but are they??

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 04:05:16 PM »
That's what I find puzzling about Locke saying that "He looked into the eye...."
Smokey is always violent...killled the pilot, Eco, tried to get a bunch of them, including drag Locke into a hole.
We assume the peaceful visions, i.e. horse, the cow yesterday, etc. are smokey manifestations...but are they??

My point exactly, we've seen Smokie, but we haven't seen everything yet.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 05:56:49 PM »
no he doesnt appear as himself in front of a big group of people, he only stays with them when he is in the form of   VINCENT

Offline FrostyLosty

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 05:59:54 PM »
I don't think anyone knows what/who Smokey is. Ben is telling the truth. Jacob doesn't even who what it is, but hes trying to find this information using new apprentice Locke.

Blackrock Bob

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 06:07:56 PM »
I have a feeling we won't know what Smokey really is until the last few episodes of the series. So just a few more years.

I think that Smokey was on the Island longer than Dharma though.

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 06:10:33 PM »
I think that Smokey was on the Island longer than Dharma though.

oh yeah, for a long time before dharma

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 08:38:37 PM »
Smokey was peaceful to Ecko at first before he decided to thwomp him.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 10:38:14 PM »
Agree with Frosty.  Locke asked because Jacob doesn't know and wants to.  Always two there are.  A master and an apprentice.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 10:45:28 PM »
I think John's question to Ben about Smokie was one of the most important reveals in an episode full of them.  In fact, it kinda got lost in the discussions of other important ideas in this ep.

I think Locke asked about it because even though he's has a new prophet for The Island and many things have already been revealed to him through Ben, Jacob, Walt, etc. he still hasn't figured this one out.

I think Ben genuinely doesn't know what Smokie is.  He's seen it in action, his people have known that the fence repelled it and may have a general idea of its area of operations, and he's probably been scanned by it at some point.  But he doesn't really understand how it works.

I think it's perfectly reasonable that Locke would ask about it first.  For one thing, it's as if these were going to be Ben's last words.  Asking him to explain why he did this or that is only going to result in a long, slippery B.S. story.

When you think about it, Smokie/Cerberus/Security System is the foremost paranormality of the show.  It was the first weird thing to be revealed in the pilot (enough to actually turn me off the show at the beginning, I'm ashamed to admit).  It has never been explained in the least, whereas:

- The more general electromagnetic properties have been studied by DHARMA and harnessed by The Pearl
- The healing has been seen to work only on the faithful (Locke to Ben:"Why are you the one in the wheelchair?")
- The unreachability of The Island has been circumvented