Author Topic: Members of the Freighter "Dream Team"  (Read 3721 times)

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Members of the Freighter "Dream Team"
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 01:27:35 PM »
And to think, I was convinced Naomi was surprised to see the Losties, maybe even out of the loop, and all the while she is in charge of this bunch of misfits, at least on the island.  Didn't see that coming!

I think the fact that Charlotte seemed to know what she was looking at when she found the collar (and even seemed to know it was going to be there) says alot about who these guys are working for.  Definitely Dharma people or higher looking to repay Ben and friends and get the island back.
i don't think they are neccissarily "dharma people" but charolotte does know ABOUT dharma.  maybe that's her quest as an anthropologist.  maybe dharma is sort of like a theory that no one has ever been able to prove the existence of and that's what she has set outto do.

Offline *MaZ*

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 01:32:33 PM »
I would call them the 3 stooges instead of dream team. Unless everybody else on that boat turns out to be Rambo, these people are not looking to kill anybody! They were on the island only for a couple of hours and already managed to get disarmed and captured by team Jack and team Locke - without any planning in advance, I may add.
So I guess our friend Ben, yet again, lied about the freighter's intentions...if they are after someone, that's Ben and Ben only.
But IMO it seems they are there for the island, and its powers. They are looking for Ben because they think he's the key to the powers/mysteries? They are armed because they know he's a psycho?

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 01:36:24 PM »
Miles last name is Straume.  A maelstrom is a violent tidal current or whirlpool.  My guess is the island's properties would cause this condition in the waters around the island making it hard for ships to pass close by without crashing and impossible for an unpowered ship to leave.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 01:39:23 PM »
Speaking of the pilot, Frank Lapidus...  Was his cow real, escaped from The Barracks? Or a Smokey/Jacob manifestation, like Kate's horse?  Perhaps Frank grew up on a dairy farm in Wisconsin.  Or in California (hence the hippy-dippyness) where they supposedly have 'happy' cows.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 01:53:58 PM »
Two connections:

1) Naomi + her team could be a homage to the setup in Aliens v. Predator.  Naomi looks very much like Saana Lathan's character, execpt that in this parallel universe, Naomi isn't the sole survivor, but gets killed off rather quickly.

2) There may be a second homage to my guru Frank Herbert's Dosadi Experiment, which talks about how an intensely competitive environment can serve to improve upon the innate abilities of the people put in that environment.  Notice how quickly the Flight 815 people overthrew and have nearly decimated The Others.  Just like The Others overthrew the Dharma people, who had become soft with all their crunchy Buddhism and cushy navel-gazing experiments.  Perhaps later we'll find out how the Dharma people were able to get a foothold on the island.  My guess is that The Others had grown weak, and so bided their time in the jungle until their faith (in Jacob) was restored and they could strike back against Dharma.  That could explain Ben's desire to return to this temple he spoke of last season.

Offline winterfog

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 02:35:49 PM »
In "Daniel's" flashback, his wife or whoever that is with him repeatedly calls him Sam.  Doesn't look like Daniel is his real name.

Also, Daniel lives in Essex, Massachusetts.  Ben says that Charlotte was born in Essex, England.  Connection?  I doubt it, but it's not like the writers have run out of towns they can use.

Oh, and yes, the pilot (Frank) was in the Bahamas when he saw the wreckage on TV.

Offline gjohnson

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 02:42:30 PM »
And to think, I was convinced Naomi was surprised to see the Losties, maybe even out of the loop, and all the while she is in charge of this bunch of misfits, at least on the island.  Didn't see that coming!

I think the fact that Charlotte seemed to know what she was looking at when she found the collar (and even seemed to know it was going to be there) says alot about who these guys are working for.  Definitely Dharma people or higher looking to repay Ben and friends and get the island back.
i don't think they are neccissarily "dharma people" but charolotte does know ABOUT dharma.  maybe that's her quest as an anthropologist.  maybe dharma is sort of like a theory that no one has ever been able to prove the existence of and that's what she has set outto do.

Perhaps she is former Dharma, (some people got out?) and was on the island to study the "original inhabitants" or the remains of a previous society (4-toed statue, temple). Or she is not former Dharma and is here to do those things now.

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008, 03:14:18 PM »
And so it looks like when Abaddon asked Hurley 'are they alive?' he was probably refering to the chopper crew seeing as it looks like he had, at least some part, in recruiting them.
Also Miles surname, however its spelled, combines to suggest 'maelstrom'? Im trying to remember where a logo or something appeared in Lost, maybe last season 'maelstrom', hmmmm, anyone?

Offline *MaZ*

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2008, 03:26:56 PM »
In "Daniel's" flashback, his wife or whoever that is with him repeatedly calls him Sam.  Doesn't look like Daniel is his real name.
I just re-watched the epi. She called him Dan. I had the captions on to make sure.

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2008, 03:44:39 PM »
I just re-watched the epi. She called him Dan. I had the captions on to make sure.

i posted this somewhere, but cant find it LOL

Offline *MaZ*

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2008, 03:50:21 PM »

i posted this somewhere, but cant find it LOL
I hear you...I have posted so much in the last 24hs. that I can't keep track of my own opinions anymore...we were all soo needy for soo long!

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2008, 03:56:58 PM »
The Others overthrew the Dharma people, who had become soft with all their crunchy Buddhism and cushy navel-gazing experiments.

It's true that DHARMA appeared this way.  However, I feel that whether most of their members realized it or not, they were funded and directed by The Sinister Corporation.  Abbadon put together the Dropees' mission because he wanted to get Ben (former DHARMA....hence the photo) and regain control.

The eternal struggle has always been The Island vs The Sinister Corporation ever since the place was discovered (by Magnus Hanso?) and attempts were made to return and exploit the place.  These exploits would include its power to heal, EM forces, and alteration of space/time.  DHARMA was a front group set up to study these forces.  I'd wager that none of the individual DHARMA members on The Island had 100% knowledge of the purpose of the group. 

Once young Ben was discovered by Alpert to have an innate connection with The Island, he joined up with The Natives (aka 'Nothers© ) and began to commune with Jacob, mouthpiece for The Island.  After the Purge, Ben was presumably working for The Island and against DHARMA, although I think that he wanted them (and by extension The Sinister Corporation) to think everything was hunky dorey for as long as possible.  Keep someone in there pushing the button.  Keep receiving the supply drops.  Heck, even keep sending reps like Alpert out to the real world to pull in useful staff and maintain relations with Sin Inc.

Regardless of the above speculation, clearly he's a marked man as far as the Corp is concerned.  The problem is that he also alienated many Others with his birthing crusade. 

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2008, 04:09:31 PM »
The Others overthrew the Dharma people, who had become soft with all their crunchy Buddhism and cushy navel-gazing experiments.

It's true that DHARMA appeared this way.  However, I feel that whether most of their members realized it or not, they were funded and directed by The Sinister Corporation.  Abbadon put together the Dropees' mission because he wanted to get Ben (former DHARMA....hence the photo) and regain control.

The eternal struggle has always been The Island vs The Sinister Corporation ever since the place was discovered (by Magnus Hanso?) and attempts were made to return and exploit the place.  These exploits would include its power to heal, EM forces, and alteration of space/time.  DHARMA was a front group set up to study these forces.  I'd wager that none of the individual DHARMA members on The Island had 100% knowledge of the purpose of the group. 

Once young Ben was discovered by Alpert to have an innate connection with The Island, he joined up with The Natives (aka 'Nothers© ) and began to commune with Jacob, mouthpiece for The Island.  After the Purge, Ben was presumably working for The Island and against DHARMA, although I think that he wanted them (and by extension The Sinister Corporation) to think everything was hunky dorey for as long as possible.  Keep someone in there pushing the button.  Keep receiving the supply drops.  Heck, even keep sending reps like Alpert out to the real world to pull in useful staff and maintain relations with Sin Inc.

Regardless of the above speculation, clearly he's a marked man as far as the Corp is concerned.  The problem is that he also alienated many Others with his birthing crusade. 

you are me new BIFF (best internet friend forever)

that post was extremely on point and almost exactly what i said in another thread moments ago

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2008, 05:12:25 PM »
I agree with your interpretation of the Dharma scientists as a front for, and dupes of, the Sinister Corporation.  That still allows for The Others' viewpoint, which had been around far longer, to view Dharma's Buddhist philosophies and experimentations as somehow a sacrilege to their own, prior relgious interpretations of the powers of the island.  That would be a strong motivation, in alignment with, yet distinct from, Ben's daddy issues motivation, to commit the genocide of the purge, common to most relgious wars.  Hopefully when we get to the temple, the religious motivations of The Others vis-a-vis the Island will be revealed.

Surely Ben, the master manipulator of both the Sinister Corporation and The Others, was thrown for a loop by the crash of Flight 815.  It was only soon after that event that the airdrops stopped, Abbadon organized the mission to get Ben, Locke + The Losties began destroying vital infrastructure to his control, and The Others began questioning Ben's leadership.

Offline Erin

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2008, 06:26:05 PM »
I was wondering if anyone caught what Daniel said while going through the jungle, something about the way the trails or trees were dispersed/displaced?  Was it significant?