Author Topic: Members of the Freighter "Dream Team"  (Read 3723 times)

Offline Fallybear

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Members of the Freighter "Dream Team"
« on: February 08, 2008, 09:20:13 AM »
In the flash back, Naomi was chosen as the military leader of this assembled team. The group isn't military (with the possible exception of Naomi herself). They said they were looking for Ben but brought individuals with expertise in other areas.

They are:
A geeky physicist
An abrasive Archaeologist
A crazy Ghost Buster
A drunken pilot

They apparently know they all will be needed to complete their mission.

But with this team, the mission is NOT just to capture Ben.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Members of the Freighter "Dream Team"
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 09:44:50 AM »
I was thinking maybe they were picked because they're just as dysfunctional as the 815ers if you want to believe that the 815ers didn't crash there by chance and were "brought" there.

Offline gjohnson

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 09:49:29 AM »
I believe she was identified as an anthropologist by Abbadon

Offline lyrasdaemon

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 09:56:36 AM »
Their names are all significant as well:

Charlotte Staples Lewis (C.S. Lewis) - author of Narnia series and Christian apologist
Miles Strom - I took the lead from another poster on this; his name is, in itself, "maelstrom"
Daniel Farraday - Michael Farraday discovered electro-magnetic induction
Frank Lepidus - as fans of HBO's Rome would remember, Lepidus was the third member of the Triumvirate along with Marc Antony and Octavian

Offline Alvarandthechipmunks

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 09:59:28 AM »
Their names are all significant as well:

Charlotte Staples Lewis (C.S. Lewis) - author of Narnia series and Christian apologist
Miles Strom - I took the lead from another poster on this; his name is, in itself, "maelstrom"
Daniel Farraday - Michael Farraday discovered electro-magnetic induction
Frank Lepidus - as fans of HBO's Rome would remember, Lepidus was the third member of the Triumvirate along with Marc Antony and Octavian
Awesome catch on the C.S. Lewis tie, Lyra!!

Offline on the island

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 10:27:20 AM »
I thought it was strange that they told us their location in the flashbacks.  I don't remember them doing that before.  We always had to search for clues to figure out where they are.  It's probably not significant, but I remember Essex, MA for Fereday, Inglewood, CA for Miles, Tunisia for Charlotte and I am drawing a blank on the pilot.

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 10:36:50 AM »
I thought it was strange that they told us their location in the flashbacks.  I don't remember them doing that before.  We always had to search for clues to figure out where they are.  It's probably not significant, but I remember Essex, MA for Fereday, Inglewood, CA for Miles, Tunisia for Charlotte and I am drawing a blank on the pilot.
Darn, you're right....It thought it was somewhere in the Bahamas or something. I bought one of those HD "upconverting" DVD player/recorders, but then I discover there's no "video in" on my new LCD TV!! Crap!

Offline Savior

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 10:39:07 AM »
no HDMI ports?

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 10:42:22 AM »
Yeah, I have an HDMI cable hooked up, but it will only allow a signal from the DVD player to the TV. All HDMI ports are labeled "HDMI in". Did you guys know these new DVD players don't have tuners in them like the old school ones do? Dang technology, always digging your pockets clean!

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 11:25:59 AM »
I propose we henceforth refer to this group as...

The Drop-ees.

Communing with the dead is an important Island skill/superpower...arguably the best of the group.  He's already come in handy.

Piloting is also pretty damn important if a chopper is available.  Surely there's more fuel somewhere around.

An anthropologist who already knew what she was looking for when Ursus Maritimus was found in Tunisia will have a specific assignment.  Adam and Eve, Black Rock, 4 Toes. . .

Farraday must be highly prized for his abilities because he's damn near useless as a covert op.  I'd say reestablishing contact via harnessing the EM interference of The Island would have something to do with his mission.  Getting a ping working again so that The Sinister Corporation can begin expeditions and exploitations is of utmost concern.

Without Naomi, however, these Dill Weeds are more like a fustercluck.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 11:59:43 AM »
And to think, I was convinced Naomi was surprised to see the Losties, maybe even out of the loop, and all the while she is in charge of this bunch of misfits, at least on the island.  Didn't see that coming!

I think the fact that Charlotte seemed to know what she was looking at when she found the collar (and even seemed to know it was going to be there) says alot about who these guys are working for.  Definitely Dharma people or higher looking to repay Ben and friends and get the island back.

Offline getting away to lost

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 12:09:39 PM »
Was the guy that Naomi meet with in her flashback the same guy who came to visit Hurley in last weeks episode?

Offline Savior

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 12:25:56 PM »
Yes

Offline tylerncc

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 12:26:35 PM »
So it appears that we have more character names to mull over with the four new people on the island.  First is Charlotte Staples Lewis (CS Lewis, author of the Chronicles of Narnia), and didnt we find out that she is from Oxford?  Thats where CS Lewis was a prof of mideval literature.  There is another thread about her name a little bit down from here.

Also, we met Daniel Faraday, who says he is a physicist.  Michael Faraday was a physicist in the early 1800's who, among other things, studied (what do you know!?!) magnetic fields induced by electrical current!!!  He was basically the father of magnetic field theory.  Not insignificant, if you ask me.

And then theres Miles 'Dont tell them my last name', who appears to be a ghost hunter.  Will we find out his name has equal importance?  I cant help but think so, we'll find out hopefully.

And the pilot, I dont have anything on him...except that he looks like he could be Magnum PI after 20 years laying low in Hawaii or something...

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 12:29:11 PM »