Author Topic: light is different on the island....  (Read 10922 times)

Offline darinfic

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
light is different on the island....
« on: February 08, 2008, 01:13:08 AM »
dan mentions that the light is different, that it scatters strangely. is this because of smokey? jacob?

it may have been a throwaway line possibly in reference to the tree canopy but i think there's something more to it.

did that line strike anyone else as odd?

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: light is different on the island....
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 01:39:15 AM »
I think it falls in line with everything else about the island.  That it seems very unnatural and weird.  And they also emphasized the random rain this episode... or I guess I should say very predictable rain.

Offline joeboo

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 01:42:50 AM »
Actually after taking years of physics classes they finally help out.

Faraday is the name of a physicist who discovered that magnets can have an effect on light.  This is probably the reason he (Daniel Faraday also a physicist) commented about the light.  I thought it was a nice touch by the writers. :)

Offline therealsawyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 02:20:00 AM »
Did the light in the previous scene (the Ghostbusting) seem strange?  I noticed this and then Faraday makes that comment in the next.  I agree it's probobly a reference to the physicist and magnatism.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 02:21:14 AM »
Actually after taking years of physics classes they finally help out.

Faraday is the name of a physicist who discovered that magnets can have an effect on light.  This is probably the reason he (Daniel Faraday also a physicist) commented about the light.  I thought it was a nice touch by the writers. :)
Great catch.  Welcome to the boards. :)

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 05:06:47 AM »
So... on the island we've got physicist Daniel Faraday, named for the English physicist who suggested electromagnetism could bend light and block radio waves, and on the boat we've got George Minkowski, named for the German mathematician who with Einstein dabbled in space-time.  Sounds like a warp bubble to me! And one that breaks the temporal prime directive at that.

Whatever explanation the show provides us in the end, hats off to the writers for introducing these new characters to the simple Losties-Others dynamic.  Now it's a dynamic Schismatic Losties-Others-Boaties arrangement, which creates the potential for even MORE intricate storylines and interactions.  Uh oh, that means middle America will understand even less, tune out more, making the suits counting market share nervous...  Gotta keep those DVD sales up, I guess! 

Offline gjohnson

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 09:57:24 AM »
Was it just me or did it seem like the scene with Jack was kinda dark which then cut to Locke with his face in the rain which was much brighter. Could've been the tree canopy but it seemed like more than just that.

Offline Lostfanchrim

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 10:07:58 AM »
dan mentions that the light is different, that it scatters strangely. is this because of smokey? jacob?

it may have been a throwaway line possibly in reference to the tree canopy but i think there's something more to it.

did that line strike anyone else as odd?

Did anyone ever read or see Stephen King's "The Langoliers"? When I heard that line about the light I automatically remembered that book and how the people on the plane in that story were just a little bit behind in time and the light was different there too. I think Lost makes a lot of references to King's books even putting one of his books at the book club meeting with Juliet.

Blackrock Bob

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 10:34:49 AM »
I liked the Langoliers, and King was/is a fan of the show.

I think they are hinting that there was/is a magnetic bubble around the island. THat is why Des couldn't find a way out, he was going in circles.

Time travel makes me too happy to think about, but Darleton said no time travel.

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 11:57:30 AM »
Scientists and engineers have been experimenting for years with ways to make objects appear invisible or "camouflaged".

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/02/07/japan.invisible.ap/

Could be that the island's primary defense mechanism is to bend light in such a way as to avoid detection. That explains Ben's line of "even god can't find this island."

It may be due to electromagnetism. A strong enough magnetic field will bend light much like gravity bends light near dense objects like black holes.

I also find it interesting that they chose two of the new characters to be named Faraday and Minkowski. The writers have said in the past that there is a reason for the names of the characters on lost.

Good Thread :)

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 12:08:14 PM »
I liked the Langoliers, and King was/is a fan of the show.

I think they are hinting that there was/is a magnetic bubble around the island. THat is why Des couldn't find a way out, he was going in circles.

Time travel makes me too happy to think about, but Darleton said no time travel.

Also, wouldn't the properties of the island have an effect on the surrounding tidal currents, creating a giant whirlpool or 'maelstrom' that would make it difficult for ships to pass close by without crashing and nearly impossible for an unpowered boat to leave?

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 12:43:03 PM »
definitely a reference to the magnetism of the island

but how did locke know the rain would stop???!

Offline Savior

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 12:59:12 PM »
he is "in tune" with the island

Offline dlarso01

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 01:02:00 PM »
Also, wouldn't the properties of the island have an effect on the surrounding tidal currents, creating a giant whirlpool or 'maelstrom' that would make it difficult for ships to pass close by without crashing and nearly impossible for an unpowered boat to leave?

Tidal currents, just as the name implies, are caused by tides, which are due to gravitation of the moon.  Magnetism has nothing to do with tides.  Although that would be cool.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 01:11:04 PM »
I like the maelstrom idea.  It's like the ocean current that circumnavigates the globe around Antarctica, but much more tightly packed, like a cyclone's.  But also affects the atmosphere.  And yes, it would prevent a sailboat like Desmond's from leaving. Perhaps the coordinates that Ben gave Michael to head towards are a spot where a rip current will carry you past the maelstrom.  And the submarine might navigate through the underwater currents the same way, or perhaps through an underwater canyon that avoids the maelstrom.

It seems the atmospheric effects are additionally tied into the island's electromagnetic field.  Notice that it caused Flight 815 to break apart, but that the (continuing?) (Dharma?) airdrops flew well over the island, never landing.  The recent chopper flights suggest that the closer to the surface one flies, the stronger the field become.  Both Naomi and the Boaties' choppers experienced intense atmospheric effects, tho in Naomi's case there wasn't a dramatic thunderstorm in progress to explain away the effects as in the Boaties' case. 

Could it be that Jacob/Smokie can toss proverbial lightning bolts at invaders, ala Thor?  And also perhaps moderate the electromagnetic field to allow the airdrops to pass safely? Or perhaps the planes used for the airdrops are vintage WWII models with manual hydraulics, i.e. no modern electronics to get fried?  Maybe Dharma was lucky that they operated on a shoestring budget and couldn't afford something newer.  That'd explain all the generic Dharma products, which remind me of those cheap Sam's Club or Costco store brands.