Author Topic: Charlotte - significant name!  (Read 7557 times)

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte - significant name!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 11:27:17 AM »
okay, i've gone back and looked.  i forgot that she approached eko at the airport.  so it IS a different actress.  but do you think they could have gotten a different actress to play the same character?  they do look a lot a like. 

Unless there really are different time speeds going on, and that seems extremely unlikely given that Charlie talked to Penny in real time, Charlotte Malkin is way too young to be Charlotte Lewis, never mind her mother....
not if you go back and look at the pic of charlotte malkin in the airport (when she approached eko).  she looks anywhere from her mid 20's to 30's, which i think would fit the age of charlotte lewis quite well.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 12:41:28 PM »
Well, ok, I'm terrible at judging ages, so let's look at it this way.

They're different actresses and Lewis was raised in England by Lewises. I think we have to trust Ben on this one. If she contradicts him, he's probably dead.

Offline KateReallyLovesJack

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 03:24:40 PM »
Before I realized she was suppose to be English, I was only hearing an Australian accent...

But then again, I'm terrible with identifying accents!  ???

I think I was also hearing an Aussie accent because I was thinking to myself, hmm, I like this actress, she would have made a great Claire! lol

btw - Emilie de Raven drives me insane!

And as for Charlotte being the same Charlotte from the Eko episode, I don't think that she is BUT I do find it kind of funny that these are the first two characters to share a name - I don't believe that it's happened before so it makes me wonder if there is a connection...
Questions Questions Questions!!

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 03:31:44 PM »
Ah there have been lots of the same names used!  Tom, the other, Tom Brennen Kate's old boyfriend, Thomas Aaron's daddy.  Rose Nadler, Doctor Nadler in Jack's flashforward.  I don't think the name Charlotte is as significant as C.S. Lewis.  Here is an interesting exerpt:

His Space Trilogy or Ransom Trilogy novels (also called the Cosmic Trilogy) dealt with what Lewis saw as the then-current dehumanizing trends in modern science fiction. The first book, Out of the Silent Planet, was apparently written following a conversation with his friend J. R. R. Tolkien about these trends; Lewis agreed to write a "space travel" story and Tolkien a "time travel" one. Tolkien’s story, "The Lost Road", a tale connecting his Middle-earth mythology and the modern world, was never completed. Lewis’s character of Ransom is based in part on Tolkien, a fact that Tolkien himself alludes to in his Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien. The second novel, Perelandra, illustrates a new Garden of Eden, a new Adam and Eve, and a new "serpent figure" to tempt them. The story illustrates a hypothesis of what could have happened if "our Eve" had resisted more firmly the temptation of the serpent. The last novel in the Trilogy also contains numerous references to Tolkien's fictional universe of Middle-earth. Many of the ideas presented in the books, particularly in That Hideous Strength, are dramatizations of arguments made more formally in Lewis’ The Abolition of Man.

He began another science fiction novel, The Dark Tower, but it remained unfinished; it is not clear whether it was intended as part of the same series as the completed novels. The manuscript was eventually published in 1977, though controversy arose about its authenticity.

And we all know about the Dark Tower, King's version and how is has popped up in lost before.  I also like the fact that he was playing around with the ideas of Adam and Eve.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 03:42:36 PM »
If the Lost writers are bringing in Perelandra, I will build a shrine to them and worship them. (Not quite, but I'd be tempted!)  Perelandra is the strangest, most fantastically satisfying book I have ever read.  Ransom having to help Eve not fall into sin is such a mind bender.  Lewis considered it his greatest work, until he wrote "Til We Have Faces."  I disagree with him, Perelandra is his triumph.  I love the Narnia stuff - and I think the writers are dealing with the "simple" model of sneaking in through the wardrobe to a parallel universe - but Perelandra's model is the single man going up against all the fury of hell with the power of heaven to save an island native.  Locke-Jacob anyone? 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 04:12:50 PM by Laklost »

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 03:45:13 PM »
Wow!  I am glad you have read this book!  Thanks for the insight!  If you think of anything else let us know! 

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 04:14:22 PM »
Read it.  It's really marvelous.  I've got a Lost-buddy of mine reading the Space Trilogy, and she's loving it too. 

Offline uofapiglet

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 09:26:30 PM »
This has been a trippy LOST night; I say spark up a fatty and let the ideas flow ;)

I crack myself up cheers
*Des8

LOL! I thought it was so trippy too! Des8 is awesome!

Great insight into the C.S. Lewis bit. I love how lost makes all these connection with great works of literature. I don't really know what to make of it though. Initially, I was reminded of Charlotte Malkin, but I attributed it to just a re-used name. The Lewis makes some sense, but I don't have enough background info on all his books since I've only read two.

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 06:10:50 PM »
If Ben always has insight, then why didn't he shoot Charlotte in the head?

He appeared shocked when she awoke as if that wasn't supposed to happen.

Did Locke do something when he touched her on her neck that changed the outcome?  Now, don't trash this idea with a show that has a monster and Locke walking around right after a bullet went through him.  Give me some Vicodin with that martini please.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 06:20:30 PM »
If Ben always has insight, then why didn't he shoot Charlotte in the head?

He appeared shocked when she awoke as if that wasn't supposed to happen.

Did Locke do something when he touched her on her neck that changed the outcome?  Now, don't trash this idea with a show that has a monster and Locke walking around right after a bullet went through him.  Give me some Vicodin with that martini please.

I certainly don't mind thinking Locke has obtained some healing powers.  And apparently Ben never thinks of shooting people anywhere but in their midesection.  Of course, he is on network prime time tv, not cable.

Offline TXFlyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 06:59:01 PM »
Well in Ben's defence - they do teach you, when shooting a handgun aim for the largest body mass for the best results.  He was a little distance away - a head shot with a hand gun from that distance would be difficult - unless he was aiming for a head shot and got body mass instead. 

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 07:14:53 PM »
Well in Ben's defence - they do teach you, when shooting a handgun aim for the largest body mass for the best results.  He was a little distance away - a head shot with a hand gun from that distance would be difficult - unless he was aiming for a head shot and got body mass instead. 

Or he's on network tv.  ;)  Just kidding, Flyboy!  Um, you haven't shot at any heads lately, have you?  :-\

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 07:50:03 PM »
good point keith!  but we all know sayid could have made a headshot.....from the other side of the mountain...in pitch black....with only a toothpick and a rubberband...

Offline TXFlyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2008, 03:49:26 AM »
good point keith!  but we all know sayid could have made a headshot.....from the other side of the mountain...in pitch black....with only a toothpick and a rubberband...

LOL  Literally Ash.  Thanks!

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 05:22:21 PM »
If Charlotte is named after C. S. Lewis, then what does that mean?

Chronicles of Narnia
The Ransom Series (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandria, That Hideous Strenght)
Mere Christianity
The Screwtape Letters
Others

I've read some of these to my kids and I think "That Hideous Strength" is the one that most sounds like lost.  It is scary and my kids didn't like it.  It's about people who are recruited into an organization that appears scientific and for the betterment of mankind, is very well funded, secretive, and is ran ultimately by the Devil!!!!!  The couple discovers this, Merlin (yes Merlin) and Ransom destroy the Prince of Darkness, and the couple has the baby that will be the next Christ. :-*

I would read the other two before you get to the last book.  They're all short.