Author Topic: Were They Flashforwards or Flashbacks?  (Read 25289 times)

Offline CastawayCayley

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Were They Flashforwards or Flashbacks?
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2008, 05:32:28 PM »
I have gotten transcripts from here in the past:
http://www.losthatch.com/transcripts.aspx

I have always assumed it's done by a fan. But it is handy for searching for dialogue by keywords or just by character. As far as I know, it has been fairly accurate.

If it was transcibed by a fan, the fan might have assumed it was a flashback. They would be wrong.

I vote with Puff on this one.

Good job getting the transcript cbw.

i didnt post this, nor have i confirmed where my mother got it from

I just put it there as another resource. I made the disclaimer that it was probably done by fans.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2008, 05:45:10 PM »
Wagering posting privileges is counterproductive to board unity.

While I often site food drops as proof (at least during season 2) of outside contact, there is no solid evidence that they were actually parachuted in from the real world.  In fact someone (probably Sayiid) commented on such, just like when he asked if someone actually saw Naomi chopper going down.  Sure, it seems a bit far-fetched to think that The Others would have the means or the motivation to fake a food drop, unless it was as simple as removing the camouflage from an existing drop.

I also question the NEED for the cocktail that Juliet drank before boarding the flight.  Maybe they just didn't want her to know where the sub was docked...that seems the obvious choice.  Perhaps it was for the same reason that Neo had to swallow the red pill.

Since we have not seen gross irrational behavior out of the four...

Surely you jest.  Maelstrom is a general freak out.  Faraday is a flake both before the mission (is you believe it was a flashback) and once he's on The Island.  C.S. Lewis, while not irrational, is quite the fishy character.  I won't be surprised to find the pilot down the road feigning death with barbecue sauce poured on himself.

The reason the Dropees participate in the cover-up, if that is indeed what is going to happen, is either for their own personal reasons (such as the pilot's guilt for not being on 815 or whatever) or because they've made a deal.  I'd say this is the most likely scenario. 

In the past, spooky Abbadon has made a separate deal with each of the Dropees, based on whatever bargaining position could be obtained, just like in the future a deal will have been cut with each of the Oceanic 6 to ensure their silence about certain sensitive Island matters.

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2008, 05:47:37 PM »
Wagering posting privileges is counterproductive to board unity.

While I often site food drops as proof (at least during season 2) of outside contact, there is no solid evidence that they were actually parachuted in from the real world.  In fact someone (probably Sayiid) commented on such, just like when he asked if someone actually saw Naomi chopper going down.  Sure, it seems a bit far-fetched to think that The Others would have the means or the motivation to fake a food drop, unless it was as simple as removing the camouflage from an existing drop.

I also question the NEED for the cocktail that Juliet drank before boarding the flight.  Maybe they just didn't want her to know where the sub was docked...that seems the obvious choice.  Perhaps it was for the same reason that Neo had to swallow the red pill.

there are countless things on here that take place each and everyday that are counterproductive to board unity LOL

i questioned the need for it as well at first, but then i noticed not a single person in that "airport" besides Ethan and Richard, makes it a lil fishy if you ask me

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2008, 05:54:29 PM »
Even though I egged them on, the bet is counterproductive, but I love competition! Cbw420 got me pumped up! CAGE MATCH!!

oK I have calmed down. Just for the record we(the mods) would not make anyone leave the site because of the bet.

THe more people on the site, the happier we are.

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2008, 05:57:26 PM »
Even though I egged them on, the bet is counterproductive, but I love competition! Cbw420 got me pumped up! CAGE MATCH!!

oK I have calmed down. Just for the record we(the mods) would not make anyone leave the site because of the bet.

THe more people on the site, the happier we are.

i agree as well, i just wanted to get the puffer fired up LOL

(i think the puffer knows i'm only playin around...however i would like to point out that i am a man of my word and would bow out gracefully if i was wrong)

FLASHBACKS!!! FLASHBACKS I SAY!!!

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2008, 09:02:28 PM »
Infidels, beware the wrath of Puff! 

Under the premise of AIRHEAD, there are no flashbacks or flashforwards.....there are just flashes.  Desmond time travelled or went to an alternate reality.  Things may have been slightly different, memories of the island came back slowly, and he went back to a situation that he most wanted to change (only to find he couldn't). 

The flashes of the boaties were short, targeted, and all pointed to some intuition that the crash was a cover up.  Again, none of their responses make sense (except perhaps Frank's).  Since everybody has always been introduced by flashbacks, you assume that these are what you are watching.  Additionally, since we have been getting used to flashforwards, you assume they'll switch back to flashbacks. 

The real answer to all of this is that we don't know.  Poll away. 

If the mechanism to get off the island takes you to a reality and time for which you most wish to return, and memories of the island return slowly, then it all makes sense and it is brilliant storytelling.  It doesn't mean anything to me whether the boaties were introduced by backs or forwards (except Naomi), but some purposeful duality has been introduced in ther characters.  Why?  That is the right question.  Program terminated.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2008, 09:06:24 PM »
guess your not going to join the poll then huh

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2008, 11:23:33 PM »
Forward:
Dan crying without reason.
Charlotte knowing to look for a Dharma belt on a dead polar bear in the desert.  (Remember, if you believe it to be a flashback, then Charlotte had yet to be recruited and would have been baffled by the bear/belt).

Unknown:
Frank
Miles

Back:
Naomi

Now back to the Family Guy mini marathon on TNT

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2008, 11:30:26 PM »
Why would Charlotte have to be baffled. She knew exactly where she was going and what she was looking for. Why? numerous reasons other than flashforward.

1) She works for Dharma.

2) She has been doing research on Dharma and has been on their heals. She is starting to figure things out.

3) Some one like Abbadon told here what to look for. From her flashback we do not know when they meet.

4) This is not the first strange finding she has come across.

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2008, 11:34:56 PM »
Forward:
Dan crying without reason.
Charlotte knowing to look for a Dharma belt on a dead polar bear in the desert.  (Remember, if you believe it to be a flashback, then Charlotte had yet to be recruited and would have been baffled by the bear/belt).

How do you know she hadn't been recruited? Did I miss something? You are making a big assumption about Charlotte. I could just as easily assume from her reaction that she had already been recruited, or even could have been involved somehow with the person or persons behind the mission even before it became a mission.

I believe it to be a flashback and I don't assume that it HAD to take place BEFORE Charlotte was recruited. Charlotte was specifically going to look at the skeleton. She didn't just happen upon it..."Oh my! A Polar Bear in Tunisia? With a collar? Curiouser and Curiouser!" She didn't find it...she went to see it. One could argue that her reaction was a flashforward, yes. Or, in the context of the other four flashbacks (or at least, 2 of them strongly suggested it), one could argue (strongly) that it was a flashback and there is yet something we do not know about Charlotte.

I mean, what the hell...maybe she's even related to Penny!

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2008, 11:35:30 PM »
Why would Charlotte have to be baffled. She knew exactly where she was going and what she was looking for. Why? numerous reasons other than flashforward.

1) She works for Dharma.

2) She has been doing research on Dharma and has been on their heals. She is starting to figure things out.

3) Some one like Abbadon told here what to look for. From her flashback we do not know when they meet.

4) This is not the first strange finding she has come across.

Great minds think alike...:-)

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2008, 11:57:35 PM »
If she were working for Dharma or Abaddon at the time of the bear scene, then she wouldn't be moving about with a neophyte.  She would have been secretive and certainly wouldn't suggest that TPTB (acronym) were faking the crash.  She would behave like any good Dharma operative....weird and quiet.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2008, 11:58:47 PM »
That is assuming a lot, but ok. Now dismiss the other options i gave.

Offline joshzam

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2008, 12:41:07 AM »
Allow me to theorize.

These were all flashbacks. Flashbacks for the four boaties. Flashbacks from a time before they were "recruited" and after flight 815 had originally crashed. A time before we saw the the boaties meet the Losties and after they themselves first left The Island. [dum dum duuuuuum!]

No one on this board inspires me more than Puff. I thoroughly enjoy his wild a creative speculations. They inspire me to think outside the box. Speaking about the boaties: "...some purposeful duality has been introduced in their characters". Boy, are you right.

These four boaties find themselves exactly where our Oceanic 6 are destined to arrive (if they all survive). They managed to escape from The Island and would now give anything to get back. What better group of people to send on a mission back to the Island? Ben knows them. And they know Ben. They know him very well. They didn't have to be tricked into going. They didn't have to be coerced. The obvious cover up attempt hit a little too close to home for all of them and they have their own personal missions to accomplish.

Charlotte first learned of Dharma and their ways when she was first on the island. Now that she has returned to civilization, it is her obsession to learn more about this group. She was not surprised to find the polar bear in the desert. It was just another piece of the puzzle that she has been piecing together for years. She was happy to see that Dharma logo. And did you see how happy she was to be back swimming in the waters of The Island?

The found wreckage of flight 815. It's happening all over again for Dan. He's not as strong as the rest. It's still very fresh in his mind. And it still hurts. He parachuted with a box of gas masks. I think I know why those might come in handy on this island. Just ask Ben's dad.

Frank wasn't the pilot of Oceanic 815. But he was supposed to be. He wanted to be! But he hadn't flown since that first fateful flight that he piloted. You know, the one that crashed on The Island the first time.

Of course Miles wasn't all that surprised to see the Losties or The Island. He had seen it all before. And Miles can see dead people. WTF? You know what? He wasn't able to see dead people before he first landed on the Island. Neither was Jack. Or Hurley. Or Locke or Eko or Ben. But they can now. Miles Straume. Say that 3 times fast.

The only question left in my mind is why were they dressed so wonderfully casual. Franks' Hawaiian shirt is a nice touch, but Dan was actually wearing a tie. A tie!

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2008, 12:45:08 AM »
Charlotte---has found things before and is interested in darma.  She saw that it was a polar bear and went to check it out and knew that darma people had polar bears in there tests.  Her notwanting to believe that it crashed in the trench could also be explained by her studys.  Maybe she has found out about the electromagnetism and an island where the experiments are going on.  Or maybe she is working for Penny as well.  And is on the trace of Desmond, while the rest of her crew does not know that she knows Penny Widmore.

Miles--well he can talk to dead people so, yes of course we need him.

Faraday--Could have known some one on that flight or could have been supposed to go on the flight himself.  In fact I am betting that sometime soon we will see him in a flashback to the airport or something like that.  I think he was supposed to go on this flight and is crying because he thinks that he would have died.

Lapidus--knew it was fake because he knew the pilot, So he wanted to go.

Now to explain why none of them are shocked about there being survivors of 815 on that island.  Naomi was there leader and clearly Naomi knew that the plain crashed there.  She has informed them of there mission and has told them that there will be people from flight 815 there.