Author Topic: Were They Flashforwards or Flashbacks?  (Read 25293 times)

Offline char1

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Were They Flashforwards or Flashbacks?
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2008, 10:14:40 PM »
Little off topic, but I think they are after them for more than the purge. I see a scenerio that Ben went off island to get finacial support for his work. They are heavyily funded by someone. He then went back to the island not to be found again. Either he did not do what he promised or he took funding and left. Just a con artist like Sawyer.

It is just a hunch.

Oooooh, intriguing good point...Ben conning someone for cash, fitting in with a major theme of the show!  I like this!  This may be the people who came in for Juliette's trial.  They show up every now and again, Ben puts on a good show, like everything is just fine, Heinz ketchup with a Dharma logo keeps dropping from the sky.

I don't think the freighter folks are there to avenge 815, I think it's just that they are aware that the plane may be there, hence they studied the manifest and everything about it so they knew what they were up against. 

Offline char1

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2008, 10:17:20 PM »
Did anyone notice that they didnt show who Faraday was with.  I find this kind of odd that they did not show her face.  I think it will be somebody that we have seen before.  If it was just some random person i think they would have just showed us who.  Unless of course it is someone that they repeatedly use as an extra and dont want to confuse by having her appear in different places, and not really mean anything to the story.

I saw this as a story telling device. If they just show a man watching a news report of the discovery of the wreckage of a downed plane and sobbing about it, a viewer is likely to presume he knew someone on the flight. You put in a background character asking "Why are you crying?" for exposition purposes, all the while focusing the camera only on the crying man, it tells us that this is unusual behavior and makes us make note of it.

that's what they wanted you to think!!  LOL ;)

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2008, 10:44:13 AM »
enough with the parallel stuff already, way too complicated. During Dan's, the first one I was still thinking flash forward but it became apparent to me they were FB's. I believe there is a clue in each and every scene to indicate the date and place except with Naomi's encounter with Abaddon and that is clearly a FB since is is defining mission.

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2008, 12:00:27 PM »
After rewatching it I think they are all fb's as well.  It was such a trippy episode that it took more than one viewing to digest.

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2008, 12:54:51 PM »
^ agreed.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2008, 01:08:15 PM »
How does one account for the food drops?  What was the most recent "dated" food on the drops?  

If light can bend, then "the island" could be in Kansas.  Where are we Vincent

If food drops are made, then how come the losties don't notice the sound of the airplane or helicopter?

Why is all the food still in Dharma packages when A1 steaksauce is now owned by a cigarette company?  Surely the producers turned down some nice little product placement spiffs in order to keep the packages generic.

Getting to the island is doable.  We saw that with Juliet.  But, why the need for drugs on the way?  Is the trip across infinity (as in a Stephen King short story)?  Are memories changed?  Are realities shifted?  Do you have to be asleep along the journey to remain in an equal reality?

The most telling evidence that something is not right can be found in Faraday's crying.  He is now married.  (I didn't see a ring on his finger when he is on the island).  His wife doesn't understand his emotional response so this must not be his norm.  And, he is oblivious to his own connection to 815.

If these were flashbacks, then you have to premise that Faraday is a total nutcase who is emotionally labile.  In that event, when he did find the survivors, he would have been estatic and wouldn't have made the "not our primary objective" statement.  (He would have been balling instead).

What unites three of the four boaties is that they did not believe that the crash of 815, as seen on the television, was true.  

Why would these three people have such a response?  Well, you say, "that is why they were recruited."  But, again, if that were the case, then these three would be estatic and hugging the losties.  Well, you say, they are more concerned with their mission....Ben.  Well, that may be, but how does a little statement such as, "I knew that wreckage was fake," interfere.

Well, it doesn't.  Hence, their behaviors are inconsistent with the scenes off of the island if such scenes are flashbacks.  Ergo, they are behaving irrationally or the scenes are flashforwards.  Since we have not seen gross irrational behavior out of the four, we are left only  to conclude that the scenes are flashforwards and that the writers love to f bomb our minds.  

These guys, along with the Oceanic 6, have had a Desmond like transition.  The Oceanic 6 have obviously gone to a different reality the the boaties, but the ten have made it off the island.

If Charlotte finds a polar bear and Dharma belt in the desert, then she's gonna want to publish.....why participate in the cover-up?

If Frank should have been the pilot of 815....why participate in the cover-up?

If seeing the news of 815 makes Daniel cry.....why be complicit?

Again, the three wouldn't.  In fact, they would fight any cover-up.....and this is what we are seeing in the flashFORWARDS.

Parallel universes, Desmondland, alternate realities....we're already seeing them.  We're not the only ones on this island and we all know it!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 01:24:23 PM by puff6962 »

Offline lostatsea

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2008, 01:20:38 PM »
I think DHARMA is behind this, remember they had means to come and go from the island "pre-purge", so they could have had some people that went off the island while the purge was taking, and post-purge is when Ben started "hiding" the island, so no one could return, and thats how they have the picture on file

Pre purge Ben was a cleaner guy, why would he be dressed to the 70's nines as a janitor? Was there a Dharma Dance night going on? Did a night full of Bingo and square dancing follow?

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2008, 02:18:35 PM »
I still say flashback. Puff you are making a lot of assumptions on things we just don't know about yet. Maybe when Charlotte found the polar bear she was already recruited for the mission.

And maybe at least some of the mission team know more than they are saying - I mean, if charlotte found a polar bear buried for presumably a LONG time, with a Dharma collar, and she didn't seem surprised, it isn't a stretch to assume that she knows something...maybe she didn't 'publish' because she's working for someone involved. Remember, she didn't FIND the polar bear, she went to see it.

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2008, 02:25:50 PM »
How does one account for the food drops?  What was the most recent "dated" food on the drops?  

If light can bend, then "the island" could be in Kansas.  Where are we Vincent

If food drops are made, then how come the losties don't notice the sound of the airplane or helicopter?

Why is all the food still in Dharma packages when A1 steaksauce is now owned by a cigarette company?  Surely the producers turned down some nice little product placement spiffs in order to keep the packages generic.

Getting to the island is doable.  We saw that with Juliet.  But, why the need for drugs on the way?  Is the trip across infinity (as in a Stephen King short story)?  Are memories changed?  Are realities shifted?  Do you have to be asleep along the journey to remain in an equal reality?

The most telling evidence that something is not right can be found in Faraday's crying.  He is now married.  (I didn't see a ring on his finger when he is on the island).  His wife doesn't understand his emotional response so this must not be his norm.  And, he is oblivious to his own connection to 815.

If these were flashbacks, then you have to premise that Faraday is a total nutcase who is emotionally labile.  In that event, when he did find the survivors, he would have been estatic and wouldn't have made the "not our primary objective" statement.  (He would have been balling instead).

What unites three of the four boaties is that they did not believe that the crash of 815, as seen on the television, was true.  

Why would these three people have such a response?  Well, you say, "that is why they were recruited."  But, again, if that were the case, then these three would be estatic and hugging the losties.  Well, you say, they are more concerned with their mission....Ben.  Well, that may be, but how does a little statement such as, "I knew that wreckage was fake," interfere.

Well, it doesn't.  Hence, their behaviors are inconsistent with the scenes off of the island if such scenes are flashbacks.  Ergo, they are behaving irrationally or the scenes are flashforwards.  Since we have not seen gross irrational behavior out of the four, we are left only  to conclude that the scenes are flashforwards and that the writers love to f bomb our minds.  

These guys, along with the Oceanic 6, have had a Desmond like transition.  The Oceanic 6 have obviously gone to a different reality the the boaties, but the ten have made it off the island.

If Charlotte finds a polar bear and Dharma belt in the desert, then she's gonna want to publish.....why participate in the cover-up?

If Frank should have been the pilot of 815....why participate in the cover-up?

If seeing the news of 815 makes Daniel cry.....why be complicit?

Again, the three wouldn't.  In fact, they would fight any cover-up.....and this is what we are seeing in the flashFORWARDS.

Parallel universes, Desmondland, alternate realities....we're already seeing them.  We're not the only ones on this island and we all know it!

FLASHBACKS BRO, and i'll bet my posting ability on it, my existence on this messageboard, if you are so confident my MPU Believing Friend, make the bet, you lose, then you are gone, i lose, then i am gone

dew it!! dew it!!

(this could get exciting!!! LOL)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2008, 02:54:23 PM »
I still say flashback. Puff you are making a lot of assumptions on things we just don't know about yet. Maybe when Charlotte found the polar bear she was already recruited for the mission.

And maybe at least some of the mission team know more than they are saying - I mean, if charlotte found a polar bear buried for presumably a LONG time, with a Dharma collar, and she didn't seem surprised, it isn't a stretch to assume that she knows something...maybe she didn't 'publish' because she's working for someone involved. Remember, she didn't FIND the polar bear, she went to see it.

Very good point on the polar bear. She was not surprised she was confirming what she expected.

Cbw420, daring  bet, execpt we might not know until the show is over so it may not be that big of result

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2008, 02:59:31 PM »

Very good point on the polar bear. She was not surprised she was confirming what she expected.

Cbw420, daring  bet, execpt we might not know until the show is over so it may not be that big of result

no one seemed surprised from the group of droppees, at any point before or after landing on the island, the only bit of surprise i saw was when Locke told Charlotte they didnt want to be found LOL

(oh and drunk pilot was surprised when he saw the not-so-actual wreckage on TV)

juggy - daring i know, but i'll stick to it

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2008, 03:00:46 PM »
Lets see if Puff will take up the challenge. He is very confident in his views so why wouldn't he?

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2008, 03:11:50 PM »
Lets see if Puff will take up the challenge. He is very confident in his views so why wouldn't he?

i was contemplating a wager on MPU's, maybe he gives up the internet and i'll do the same LOL LOL LOL

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2008, 03:45:52 PM »
There already has been a parallel reality on Lost so your wager doesn't make sense.  Desmond already made the leap of which I have spoken and yet you question the logic of AIRHEAD.  Infidels!  What for my logic you challenge?  How will I get to 14000 posts and reach posting nirvana like Mr. Jugdish.  Let us see you post a complete description of your ideas, Mr. CBW, explaining everything....everything....along with the reasoning that you applied at each step.  For that matter, let Juggy show us what he has figured out playing critic on this board for so long.  Give us your encompassing theories and let us all see how clever you are.  Post a new topic, each of you, and give us what we've missed.  The show will finally make sense.  Oh bliss, to be a skeptic. 

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2008, 03:55:49 PM »
You must only read your own posts. My beliefs are all over this place. I do not challenge theories unless I give my point of view with support. I think we both have been very clear were we stand.

Sounds like he is hiding behind rhetoric.