Author Topic: Were They Flashforwards or Flashbacks?  (Read 18315 times)

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Were They Flashforwards or Flashbacks?
« on: February 08, 2008, 12:51:52 AM »
Serious question.  Did the scenes occur before or after the four reached the island?

Offline Pepsi-Maxx

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Were They Flashforwards or Flashbacks?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 12:52:33 AM »
before

Offline AussieDave

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 12:53:00 AM »
Pretty sure they were "before" ie) we were back to flashbacks again for this episode.....

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 12:57:11 AM »
On the one hand, Faraday's response to 815's discovery is telling.  He is crying and a woman as why he is so upset....His reply is "I don't know."  If he is being honest, then it could be just that he is a sensitive individual, nuts, or something else.  After he left the island, did he forget the experience and only have it retained in his subconscious (crying without reason).   Did an alternative Faraday get placed in this reality and, like Desmond, only wake up to his memories?  Too many questions occurred at 6 minutes into the show.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 01:28:45 AM »
I can definitely see how an argument could be made that they were flash-forwards, but I still think they were flashbacks.  I personally don't think they're going to make it off the island.

Offline iansomerhalder_luver_06

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 02:19:24 AM »
Naomi was there, so they had to be flashbacks

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 02:51:13 AM »
Naomi was there for one of them.  They could mix flashforwards and flashbacks.  So still possible, I think.  But I still think they were all flashbacks.

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 03:11:41 AM »
I have to say, I am really confused about this.  I was discussing this with khpage and said it could be a fbck because Naomi told Charlay that after the crash they came out with the Greatest Hits of Driveshaft.  She pointed out she could be lying given the circumstances and hence a ffwd.  So can I say flash present parallel timeline?

Offline Desmond8MyPopRocks

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 03:18:46 AM »
I believe Faraday's "I don't know" response to seeing footage of the Oceanic 815 flight being shown on tv was a flashforward--similar to Desmond's experience.  I'm still considering the rest.

makes me shiver cheers
*Des8

Offline jumbotron

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 03:19:49 AM »
I hadn't thought about this till now... good question!  I would say Naiomi's and Frank's were both definitly flashbacks but Faraday's and Miles' could be either.  My gut tells me they were both FB's though. 

Kate seemed to think Faraday was cute in a geeky kinda way... wonder if he's the him that was wondering where she was in the S3 finale!?!?!?!

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 03:21:23 AM »
Geeks are way underrated. ;)

I believe Faraday's "I don't know" response to seeing footage of the Oceanic 815 flight being shown on tv was a flashforward--similar to Desmond's experience.  I'm still considering the rest.

makes me shiver cheers
*Des8
I can't put my finger on it....but this is pretty much how I feel too.

Offline ActivityGrrrl

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 05:45:47 AM »
We still think FFs...or we're with Alwayslost's "So can I say flash present parallel timeline?"  We think we've actually seen more new characters than we know, that we're looking at parallels here, so not necessarily the same Naomi, Daniel, etc in both places.  And as puff6962 said, "Did an alternative Faraday get placed in this reality and, like Desmond, only wake up to his memories?" - that's what we keep going back to, too.  Confusing as hell, but we love it! 

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 06:17:55 AM »
Well... if all of those are flashbacks, then Naomi wouldn't have known about those four until Oceanic was found and the team was put together, therefore the Driveshaft Greatest Hits would've come out by then too.  So that scene at least is a flashback no matter how you look at it, just probably a very recent one.  No need to make things even more complicated with flashpresents.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 11:01:32 AM »
i honestly think they are flashbacks, BUT, well, i don't know.  i guess they COULD be flashforwards. 

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 11:15:38 AM »
THey were flashbacks. Showing us how and why(sort of) of why they were on the boat and interested in the mission. Naomi was in them and she is dead now, she told the same story about the plane being found. So they happened before they got to the island.