Author Topic: Hurley and the cabin  (Read 5014 times)

Offline versed4every1

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Hurley and the cabin
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2008, 09:07:45 PM »
i thought the look on locke's face when hurley mentioned the cabin was more like, "dude!  you aren't supposed to SAY anything!  especially in front of BEN!!"

That was my take too, LB.  The "I thought I told you it was our secret!" look.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2008, 09:44:20 PM »
How about the cabin that Hurley saw was not a real cabin at all but a projection by The Island.  That would explain why the man in the chair looked more like Christian than what Jacob sees.  It would explain how it appeared on both sides of Hurley.

Maybe the conversation I had assumed took place between Hurley and Locke ("what's this place dude?"  "it's where the mouthpiece live, don't tell anyone") was different.  Maybe Hurley said something like "I swear I just saw a cabin with creepy dudes inside".  Locke would guard his response to such a statement, just like Ben wasn't eager for his people to hear John refer to Jacob.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2008, 03:35:22 PM »
Locke's reaction, either surprise or amusement, sort of confirms it wasn't his eye Hugo saw at the cabin.

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2008, 06:17:12 PM »
I know you must be "special" to see jacob. It was especially shocking to Ben that Locke heard Jacob. I guess Ben thought he was the only one to be able to do that. Now that Hurley can at least see him I think ben will be threatened by that.

Sorry I joined in this topic so late, I was thinking maybe this could be the reason Hurley says to Jack (in the psyc ward) 'I should never have gone with Locke, I should have come with you dude' or words to that effect - Maybe Locke ditched Hurley once he realised he was a threat to 'his' little Island paradise.
Also remember Hurley was the one who saw the Pterodactyl bird on the way to meet with the Other's.

Offline _freckles_

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2008, 09:16:20 PM »
Locke looked more amused than anything else.  Ben didn't look happy though.

when does ben EVER look happy?   :P

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2008, 10:00:27 PM »
Welcome Freckles!

Closest we've come might have been when he was having breakfast with, well, um, Freckles....

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2008, 11:01:40 PM »
Initially I thought Locke was giving Hurley the old "ixNay on the abinCay!" look until I heard the Jorge Garcia interview where he talked about the eye being an unnamed actor. I now think the eye was NOT Locke, and Locke's look was genuine surprise.

A lot of things suggest that Jacob is a ghost. One, his attire in season 3 - very old fashioned, almost pirate-like (think: Black Rock).

Two, things started getting crazy on that episode when Locke shined his flashlight. I am a certified paranormal investigator, and one common belief is that spirits manifest by using available energy (like from flashlight batteries). Ben even warned Locke to not bring in any technology. Flashlight on, chaos ensued and Jacob manifested.

Third, we know Ben can see ghosts because he saw his mom. And he sees Jacob when no one else can either (until recently). In fact, some of us think that Ben rose to lead the Hostiles because he was the only one who could communicate with their true - dead - leader.

Fourth, we know Hurley can see dead people because he saw Charlie. And, he saw someone in the cabin - maybe Christian, or maybe Jacob as Christian (or maybe Jacob IS Christian). 2/3 chance here that it was Jacob and more possible indicators that he is a ghost.

One thing that was interesting when Hurley saw the cabin again after running away: it disappeared when he shut his eyes and then reopened...but he was also backing up at the same time. Remember from season 3 that there is some sort of circle around the cabin (when Locke went up with Ben, Locke bent down to investigate). Could the circle somehow "protect"  the cabin by rendering it unseen? Maybe the cabin disappeared because Hurley backed up beyond the circle.

Offline Erin

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2008, 11:11:07 PM »
I found it interesting that Hurley recognized that Locke and Ben were surprised at his mention of the cabin, seemingly felt uncomfortable or scared, and covered it up by stating the "airplane cabin".

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2008, 04:42:22 AM »
Good post thebeann, I agree with pretty much everything you have written particularly the use of the torch.

Also:
Could the circle somehow "protect"  the cabin by rendering it unseen?

In much the same way something could be protecting the Island by rendering it unseen also?

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2008, 11:15:29 AM »
remember too that locke never saw anybody in the cabin, he just heard a voice.  of course, if the eye is locke, then now he may have seen somebody. 

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2008, 11:42:49 AM »
There was someone on EBay who was selling vials of the ash (or whatever) that surrounded the cabin.  They had photos from where they had visited the set and snagged some magic joo-joo powder.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
remember too that locke never saw anybody in the cabin, he just heard a voice.  of course, if the eye is locke, then now he may have seen somebody. 

actually he did see someone after he heard the "help me" sitting in the chair

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2008, 02:28:12 PM »
Most of our losties have seen apparitions of one form or another... Christian Shepard, Walt, Yemi, etc. Therfore I do not think it is a stretch that Hurley saw an apparition of the cabin.

Maybe The Island/Jacob can project into the minds of the island's inhabitants as well as pull personal information out. We previously thought that Smokie was doing this, but maybe Smokie is simply an extension of the Island/Jacob.  :-\

Wow  :o This is getting good and the titles of the next few episodes indicate it's only going to get better... IMHO  8)

Offline therealsawyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2008, 12:09:15 AM »
How about the cabin that Hurley saw was not a real cabin at all but a projection by The Island.  That would explain why the man in the chair looked more like Christian than what Jacob sees.  It would explain how it appeared on both sides of Hurley.

Maybe the conversation I had assumed took place between Hurley and Locke ("what's this place dude?"  "it's where the mouthpiece live, don't tell anyone") was different.  Maybe Hurley said something like "I swear I just saw a cabin with creepy dudes inside".  Locke would guard his response to such a statement, just like Ben wasn't eager for his people to hear John refer to Jacob.

I don't think there is an actual "location" of the cabin.  Locke sees it where he does, Hurley where he sees it.  Remember what Ben said about Jacob.  Something along the lines of "You don't just go and see him, he summons you".  I believe he summoned Hugo.

I also don't think Hurley said anything to Locke about seeing the cabin.  He has never really opened up to anyone about "seeing" visions.  I think that he believes that he is under stress with Charlie dying and maybe going crazy again.

I think both Ben and John will be threatened by another person seeing Jacob.  Remember all the back and forth between the two at the end of season 3.  Basically they sounded like two little kids - "The island likes me better. no it likes me better I've been here longer. You're in a wheelchair and I'm not.  I can see Jacob and you can't....."

Offline Abaddons Key

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2008, 06:41:43 PM »
I can't imagine that nobody noticed something very telling in last weeks episode and also, that it hasn't been discussed thoroughly already.  However, I haven't seen anything amongst the posts that spoke to this episode so here goes.

While Locke's group was wandering the jungle and I believe it was before they met with the other female jumper, Hurley let something slip that, for some reason, he wanted kept to himself (there is a history of people not communicating things both normal and weird that happened to them on the island, in fact I've only noticed Hurley ever speaking up about some of the stranger things).  He admitted half consciously that he had seen AND knows about Jacobs Cabin(he doesn't know about Jacob just the cabin).  The second he spoke those words both Locke and Ben's eyes lite up with surprise while nobody else reacted.  I assume this to mean you must be "special" in order to even see the cabin. 

Now with that said, how is it that Hurley is a "special" person on the island.  If Locke and Ben aren't the only one's on the Island that would be deemed "special" then whoelse besides Hurley could be?

Could be nothing but this is Lost, you just never know.