Author Topic: Speaking to dead people  (Read 7501 times)

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Speaking to dead people
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 06:12:56 PM »
My problem with this guy is that in the flash he seems to have real ability. (if true we have some kind of confirmation of ghosts, but that's probably another thread). But he's got to be running a con with the talking to Naomi bit. I mean all she could tell him is what Kate told her. He already doesn't believe Kate....

And are we to believe that the ghosts hang around long enough to tell somebody something and then they go? She's just dead meat.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 02:39:34 PM »
I thought he was like Wolf in Pulp Fiction at first and we were gonna see her son's dead body and he was going to "clean up" the mess.  So maybe the smoke monster is a collection of lost souls and Jacob, Yemi, Christian, and all of them are ghosts who are amplified by phenomena on the island.
Totally thought the same exact thing!

Anyhow, being able to talk to ghosts is one thing.  But how did he know he was going to find a large stash of money in that house?  Did he know that before (is that why he took the job?) or did the ghost tell him?  Didn't really seem like the ghost SPOKE to him... when Miles asked "where is it?" right way it seemed like he knew money was there already.  Then the ghost bumped something, never told him anything...seems like to me anyways....

As far as being able to speak with Naomi's ghost.... maybe it's not actually ghosts he's seeing but is instead seeing snippets of the past?  OOOOO maybe that is how he knew there was money in that room?  Saw a snippet of the kid stashing it..?  I'm just waiting for him to discover all of the whispers on the island....

So why was this guy picked?  Was it because of the whispers, or did they think he could better communicate with Jacob?

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 02:53:54 PM »
I thought he was like Wolf in Pulp Fiction at first and we were gonna see her son's dead body and he was going to "clean up" the mess.  So maybe the smoke monster is a collection of lost souls and Jacob, Yemi, Christian, and all of them are ghosts who are amplified by phenomena on the island.

Anyhow, being able to talk to ghosts is one thing.  But how did he know he was going to find a large stash of money in that house?  Did he know that before (is that why he took the job?) or did the ghost tell him?  Didn't really seem like the ghost SPOKE to him... when Miles asked "where is it?" right way it seemed like he knew money was there already.  Then the ghost bumped something, never told him anything...seems like to me anyways....

As far as being able to speak with Naomi's ghost.... maybe it's not actually ghosts he's seeing but is instead seeing snippets of the past?  OOOOO maybe that is how he knew there was money in that room?  Saw a snippet of the kid stashing it..?  I'm just waiting for him to discover all of the whispers on the island....

So why was this guy picked?  Was it because of the whispers, or did they think he could better communicate with Jacob?

Make it a two-fer - he can communicate with them both.

Offline dragonflyk

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 02:56:51 PM »

If the entity did not exist, why would he ask, out loud, "where is it"? Not to mention he asked first, then the bump came...which is why he searched over there. Maybe in the "tip" that Miles received from his friend at the station led him to the conclusion that there was something in it for him to gain? Just a thought...
So far, I think he is able to speak with the dead...and I can't wait for him to discover the whispers as well, but does this mean every dead person he comes across, he will be able to know what happened?

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 02:58:44 PM »

If the entity did not exist, why would he ask, out loud, "where is it"? Not to mention he asked first, then the bump came...which is why he searched over there. Maybe in the "tip" that Miles received from his friend at the station led him to the conclusion that there was something in it for him to gain? Just a thought...
So far, I think he is able to speak with the dead...and I can't wait for him to discover the whispers as well, but does this mean every dead person he comes across, he will be able to know what happened?

Heaven, and TPTB, only knows now - but if he can unlock this key, won't he be valuable to all of us?!?!?

Offline dragonflyk

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 03:04:42 PM »
That is true...I love all of the insight on here. I have changed my mind numerous times on everything! ;D

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 03:06:57 PM »
And you're only at 3 posts!  Imagine those of us who blabbityblabblab all over the place.  We've changed our minds so many times we don't know where we started!  :D

Welcome aboard, Dragonfly!!

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 03:09:10 PM »
Sorry if you misunderstood, I'm not denying that there wasn't an entity, I'm sure that there was a ghost there otherwise grandma would have never made the call to have miles come over.  I'm only wondering...if maybe he doesn't TALK to the ghosts as he more... is able to see what they see/saw?  (omg like smokie)  I mean, we don't ever really see his side of the conversation... he wasn't over naomi saying 'who killed you?'  'no kidding?'  'uh huh' 'a man with a knife, huh?'  And I'm not sure it is telepathic communication or else he wouldn't have said aloud 'where is it'.  I'm just trying to figure out the finer points of his ability.

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 04:39:10 PM »
Nice post, in a nutshell.  Some significant thoughts there.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 04:43:42 PM »
I think that there are lost souls on the island, but I don't think they are smokie?  I think they are the whispers, there is a thread on here documenting some of them...and the conversations seem like they are invisible people talking about the deeds of the losties....or something...?  I think that the amplification of the island is why the whispers are audible to people... and I have no idea what smokie is.  But he apparently is NOT nanobots.   ;)

Offline FrostyLosty

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 06:43:21 PM »
How come one of Hurleys psycho friends saw Charlie staring at him then?

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 08:04:30 PM »
Good question.  Here is another one.  If charlie was real how was he able to disappear?  Did he just run really far in 5 seconds?

Offline FoxyMama

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 08:25:41 PM »
I like that Hurley may have a similar ability to the "Ghostbuster."  He saw Dave (who may have been dead), Charlie (who is dead), and Jacob (who looked like Christian.)   :)
Also, I don't think Ghostbuster dude had the ability to get rid of the ghost.  He told the ghost-boy that his grandma didn't want him up there anymore; doesn't mean he got rid of him.  The concept may be that they just linger and that's why he was able to find out about Naomi.  idk. 

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2008, 08:32:08 PM »
Yeah, getting rid of the ghost didn't seem to be his...er...primary directive.... it was more of an afterthought when he told the ghost that he could leave.  I think Hurley DOES have some special abilities that we haven't fully discovered yet!  That was solidified for me when he saw the cabin....the cabin that wasn't even where it was supposed to be!

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2008, 11:59:48 PM »
I'm not convinced that the guy who pointed Charlie out to Hurley really saw anything.  They are, after all, in a mental ward.  I think Hurley had had Charlie on his mind after seeing him "appear" at the gas station and the guy at SRMHC saying that triggered another "vision".