Author Topic: A Man on Their Boat  (Read 16182 times)

Offline therealsawyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: A Man on Their Boat
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2008, 08:33:23 PM »
I too think Ben does actually have an inside man but I don't think they are communicating via traditional means.  I think Jacob may have info on the rescue team, much like the unknown details of the Losties are known, i.e. Sawyer shooting the man in Australia.  He did seem a little unnerved when Patchy told him about Naomi, maybe he wasn't in on it yet or didn't believe.

I guess I always thought that Richard would have a larger role in the others.  Is Cane still on tv?  I hope they don't have to change his role because of the other show. 

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2008, 08:38:37 PM »
First off...i think everyone is confusing Ben's info...too much speculation...we don't know how long he's known about the people on the freighter, we don't know how long the freighter has been out there...it could have been enroute since the Losties crashed...

Offline joshzam

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2008, 10:50:27 PM »
Ben has a man on the boat. A spy. A double agent. And as we all learned from the Hunt, there is a man on that boat who isn't who he says he is. And that man's name is George Minkowski (aka Nikkoli).

Offline catchit

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2008, 03:27:34 AM »
It cant be Walt.  He was on Locke's side.  Why would he tell Locke to "get up, you have work to do", if he was on Ben's and the Others side?  That stretch is too far, for Walt to be playing both sides.

Why would it be Charlotte?  The Others are not carrying out Dharmas plans and experiments.  They Killed them all because they invaded their island to do these experiments.  Charlotte was out looking for Dharma stuff and was happy when she found the Polar Bear.

The best explanation so far that i've heard in this thread is that Ben brainwashed Michael and he is the Man on their Boat.  Think about it: once the Boaties find Michael, Michael can tell him what he knows about the island ... maybe give fake whereabouts as to where the Others and Ben are ... maybe give fake stories about the Losties on the island

Offline joshzam

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2008, 06:22:07 AM »
It cant be Walt.  He was on Locke's side.  Why would he tell Locke to "get up, you have work to do", if he was on Ben's and the Others side?  That stretch is too far, for Walt to be playing both sides.

That wasn't Walt. Just like that wasn't Christian.

The best explanation so far that i've heard in this thread is that Ben brainwashed Michael and he is the Man on their Boat.  Think about it: once the Boaties find Michael, Michael can tell him what he knows about the island ... maybe give fake whereabouts as to where the Others and Ben are ... maybe give fake stories about the Losties on the island

All that planning to get Michael on the boat? Just to keep the boaties from Ben? And yet Charlotte is now with Ben. I don't think so.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 07:36:10 PM by joshzam »

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2008, 10:32:28 AM »
It's unlikely that he  managed to keep the airdrops coming, keep the satellite feeds open, keep the information flowing
We've seen one supply load, and I'm not 100% convinced that it was actually parachuted in from the outside world.  No one heard a plane fly by, and there's nothing to do in this place except sit around and watch/listen for rescue.  As for the satellite feeds, there's no need for outside forces to enable this.  I have a satellite dish which picks up all kinds of stations and I don't have to have any outside authorization.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2008, 04:46:10 PM »
Joshzam's theory that the man on the boat is George Minkowski, if true, might help to explain why he was mysteriously unable to speak to Miles.  It's also a good point that the chances of Walt being the man are low, given that he's a little young to be playing double agent, helping both Locke & Ben. Admittedly he may have special powers, which would suggest he has a purity which would tend to put him above petty two-timing.

Also, if Michael/Walt were on the boat, logically there'd have been an interchange along the lines of "Hey Jack, you're a Flight 815 survivor? Why, we have Michael right here." Like Sam in Find 815, it'd be unlikely for the writers to have Michael held captive on the boat. What'd be the point? Better to have him roaming free and doing stuff.

As for only seeing one supply load, we could assume that there have been many other supply drops before the Losties arrived, as The Others did seem well supplied.  It must be at least years, not months, since the Purge, since Juliet has been here, what, 1-2 years at least herself?  And surely, since the Others don't seem to be maintaining the Dharma experiments, hasn't Dharma's real world analogue become suspicious of a likely termination of reports coming from the island?  Yet the supply drops have continued.  Where they come from, I agree, has been left completely open.

And perhaps I had been looking at the satellite feeds too narrowly, thinking they were the sole means by which Ben got info from the outside world.  In fact, we've seen several other avenues besides the Flame: the radio tower, the Looking Glass (low frequency ELF waves?), the sub, maybe Jacob, maybe other means yet to be seen.  When Ben took Juliet to The Flame, we did only see 'downloads', i.e. the newsfeeds of Flight 815's crash & the video of Juliet's sister playing with her child.  Which leaves the question open, what's the means (maybe several) of 'uploading' information back to the real world.

Regardless, there does not seem to be any indication that Ben had lost any of his prior access to seeking out/gathering information, transportation in & out, supplies, etc. until recently. Of course, John Locke's affinity for C4 has put a serious dent in things...

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2008, 05:32:02 PM »
Joshzam's theory that the man on the boat is George Minkowski, if true, might help to explain why he was mysteriously unable to speak to Miles.  It's also a good point that the chances of Walt being the man are low, given that he's a little young to be playing double agent, helping both Locke & Ben. Admittedly he may have special powers, which would suggest he has a purity which would tend to put him above petty two-timing.

Also, if Michael/Walt were on the boat, logically there'd have been an interchange along the lines of "Hey Jack, you're a Flight 815 survivor? Why, we have Michael right here." Like Sam in Find 815, it'd be unlikely for the writers to have Michael held captive on the boat. What'd be the point? Better to have him roaming free and doing stuff.

As for only seeing one supply load, we could assume that there have been many other supply drops before the Losties arrived, as The Others did seem well supplied.  It must be at least years, not months, since the Purge, since Juliet has been here, what, 1-2 years at least herself?  And surely, since the Others don't seem to be maintaining the Dharma experiments, hasn't Dharma's real world analogue become suspicious of a likely termination of reports coming from the island?  Yet the supply drops have continued.  Where they come from, I agree, has been left completely open.

And perhaps I had been looking at the satellite feeds too narrowly, thinking they were the sole means by which Ben got info from the outside world.  In fact, we've seen several other avenues besides the Flame: the radio tower, the Looking Glass (low frequency ELF waves?), the sub, maybe Jacob, maybe other means yet to be seen.  When Ben took Juliet to The Flame, we did only see 'downloads', i.e. the newsfeeds of Flight 815's crash & the video of Juliet's sister playing with her child.  Which leaves the question open, what's the means (maybe several) of 'uploading' information back to the real world.

Regardless, there does not seem to be any indication that Ben had lost any of his prior access to seeking out/gathering information, transportation in & out, supplies, etc. until recently. Of course, John Locke's affinity for C4 has put a serious dent in things...

i absolutely love this post and i am absolutely FURIOUS i couldnt manage to get these words out myself

this is some good stuff

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2008, 05:35:02 PM »

i absolutely love this post and i am absolutely FURIOUS i couldnt manage to get these words out myself

this is some good stuff
i agree!  (doesn't happen often does it?)  this is an awesome post!

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2008, 05:40:55 PM »

this is some good stuff
i agree!  (doesn't happen often does it?)  this is an awesome post!

actually TWO TIMES, ONE DAY, TWO SEPERATE THREADS

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

http://lost.cubit.net/forum/index.php?topic=6839.105

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2008, 05:46:49 PM »
dude.  what's the world coming to!  i must go find a thread to disagree with you on.....

Offline joshzam

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2008, 07:43:14 PM »
I wonder if the supply crates are being dropped on The Island the same way that the polar bear was dropped in Tunisia. The same way that Jacob's cabin was dropped from one end of a field to the other. The same way that Walt was dropped in front of Shannon in the rain. The same way Bunny 15 was dropped on the top shelf...

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2008, 08:43:46 PM »
This may have been discussed elsewhere/previously ad nauseum, but upon rewatching the Orchid video, I noticed that the actor who plays Dr. Marvin Candle on Dharma TV warned everyone to not let the two #15 bunnies touch.  Possible matter/anti-matter explosion?

Maybe Dharma was trying to harness an innate power of the island, and if they succeeded, then sure, they may have used the technology to make supply drops appear.  As radio waves are matter in the form of energy, perhaps the technology also facilitates communication.  Tho I don't see the purpose, there were also decades-old broadcasts heard by Sam on Find 815, and I think by Hurley after Flight 815's crash when that first radio was still working.

But if Dharma failed to perfect the technology, then they wouldn't be risking cataclysm on a mere supply drop.  That doesn't mean that The Island couldn't continue using the power to project Walt to encourage John, Charlie to encourage Hurley, to relocate the cabin, etc.

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2008, 08:57:50 PM »
I'm thinking that when Miles called and Minkowski 'couldn't come to the phone' that something was up. I'm thinking that Ben's man was at work taking over the boat perhaps. Naomi and her crew are gone so in theory the boat is minimally staffed at this point.

Just like Naomi's seemingly bizarre phone dialog before this was another one like it but this time Miles wasn't speaking in code (Don't talk about your sister!) Seemed more like the person on the other end was under duress this time.

Offline pauinha6

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2008, 09:08:05 PM »
agreed Curt! something was NOT right when Minkowsky couldn't come to the phone.....

Regina, minkowsky or whoever-is-Ben's-man-on-the-boat was... kinda busy..... :D