Author Topic: Polar Bear in Tunisia?  (Read 21380 times)

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Polar Bear in Tunisia?
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2008, 03:07:10 AM »
Does anyone smell Orchids?
Bingo.  She knew what she was looking @, too. 

Score one for the Vile Vortices theory!

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2008, 03:34:22 AM »
I'm not sure whats more disquieting; the fact that there are polar bear bones in Tunisia, or that they showed up in a dinosaur dig under a few feet of dirt.

That scene really had the same vibe as the one in Close Encounters, only this time instead of aliens, maybe it was the hatch incident?

Offline Desmond8MyPopRocks

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2008, 04:05:46 AM »
Dharma Hydra logo on the bear collar. So it either got blown there by the swan imploading or there is some time/space thing going on with the island. Not time travel, just like teleportation.

Kelvin is alive and you are not a sad panda.  and LOL teleportation.  That bear got his ass blown off the Island years ago and showed up in an archealogical dig to let us all know that he was there before we were-- you know, like Kelvin.

In all seriousness, the possibilities of why the bear was there are endless, but archaeological facts are facts which cannot be disputed:  he's been dead a long time.  Hence, time moves differently on the Island. 

dusty cheers
*Des8

Offline Savior

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2008, 10:23:49 AM »
Just a thought on the length of time the bear would have to be there.  Since it appeared to be in desert conditions, it could be more recent than you think.  The blowing sands would quickly eat away at any flesh and those same blowing winds and sand storms could put it a few feet down easily.

Blackrock Bob

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2008, 10:31:43 AM »
Great to see you again Des8!!!

We have 2 possibilities.
Either the bear was put there within the last 20 years or it has been there longer than Dharma up until Desmond turned the key.

If I am not mistaken they have found people frozen in ice with leather pouches, and they are over 5000 years old.
Also, the desert is dry and I think it would reserve the collar for a long time. The collar wouldn't be made out of leather, but nylon or something like that. I need a close up.

I bet the polar bear ended up there when Des turned the key, but that is too sane for me.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2008, 11:34:17 AM »
My only thought was that this polar bear was adapted to somehow prefer a hot climate over a cold one.  Somehow, god only knows, it got off the island and went somewhere that it was most comfortable.  It could have even been taken there, as Juggy suggested, to do further testing. 
i agree with you astro, but i DON'T think it was taken there to do further testing.  dharma was WAY to secretive, they would have taken that collar off, or at least put a different type of collar on.  i think the bear got off the island somehow, either on it's own, or by someone who got it off clandestinely

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2008, 11:58:32 AM »
My only thought was that this polar bear was adapted to somehow prefer a hot climate over a cold one.  Somehow, god only knows, it got off the island and went somewhere that it was most comfortable.  It could have even been taken there, as Juggy suggested, to do further testing. 
i agree with you astro, but i DON'T think it was taken there to do further testing.  dharma was WAY to secretive, they would have taken that collar off, or at least put a different type of collar on.  i think the bear got off the island somehow, either on it's own, or by someone who got it off clandestinely

i concur with this!! definitely was taken off the island by accident or managed to get off on his own

how far is the location of where the dig was taken place in regards to the island

Offline Savior

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2008, 12:06:53 PM »
Dig was in Tunisia, in northern Africa

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2008, 01:24:51 PM »
i just read an article on a turtle that swam from indonesia to oregon.  true story.  to me there is a very plausable possiblity that the polar bear swam/escaped on it's own.  they are very good swimmers.

Offline General Zod

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2008, 01:48:26 PM »
One thing we don't know if that scene was a FF or a FB.  Most likely a FB, but who knows at this point.  Charlotte knew exactly what she was looking for, especially since she dug a little further to pull out the Dharma collar. 

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2008, 01:50:05 PM »
After thinking about this for awhile now, I believe it is related to the Orchid video (I know I am not original here). I believe it got there with some of the testing Dharma was doing. Teleporting of some type. Whatever you want to call it.

Offline *MaZ*

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2008, 01:57:30 PM »
Beam me up Scotty? And the Scot in this case is Desmond?
Oh, I so hope not...

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2008, 01:58:40 PM »
One thing we don't know if that scene was a FF or a FB.  Most likely a FB, but who knows at this point.  Charlotte knew exactly what she was looking for, especially since she dug a little further to pull out the Dharma collar. 

i posted this in another thread

new characters = flash back
old characters = flashforward

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2008, 04:58:04 PM »
Bunny #15 "accidentally" showed up in a time/ place that he wasn't supposed to, so why not a polar bear in Tunisia?

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2008, 08:40:27 PM »
Does this mean that Dharma has been doing experiments elsewhere in the world. Looks like they did their adaptive studies in more than one place.

Without more evidence, this is the simplest explanation. We've no reason to think the Island is the only site where Dharma was doing experiments and we know they like experimenting with polar bears.