Author Topic: Why Are They After Ben?  (Read 9605 times)

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Why Are They After Ben?
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »
My hypotheses (subject change of course):

1. Miles has communed with people Ben has killed and thus understands his nature all too well... and does not like it one bit.

2. They are not there to kill Ben, they want his knowledge of the island. Of course, they could kill him and have Miles communicate with his ghost, but Ben's ghost may turn out to be more of a PITA than earthly Ben :)

Too many puzzle pieces missing yet. If I were to go out on a limb, they are really looking for Jacob without actually knowing it. Maybe Abaddon knows about Jacob... hmmmmm. :-\

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2008, 10:52:05 PM »
My hypotheses (subject change of course):

1. Miles has communed with people Ben has killed and thus understands his nature all too well... and does not like it one bit.

2. They are not there to kill Ben, they want his knowledge of the island. Of course, they could kill him and have Miles communicate with his ghost, but Ben's ghost may turn out to be more of a PITA than earthly Ben :)

Too many puzzle pieces missing yet. If I were to go out on a limb, they are really looking for Jacob without actually knowing it. Maybe Abaddon knows about Jacob... hmmmmm. :-\

yes I am leaning towards that too.... pure speculation at this point but...
Abaddon wants to free Jacob and the the 4 don't really know exactly why they are there
they only know part of the story

Offline Bud

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2008, 08:55:30 PM »
i think the B team are there to save Jacob or possibly to get to Jacob thru Ben.If they want Ben so bad why didn't Naomi kill him during the walk to the radio mast? she didnt bat an eyelid when they met.

Blackrock Bob

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2008, 09:37:53 PM »
I always say that Hurley is the only one on the show that you can take at face value.
Everyone has some strange hidden agenda or dark secret.
I don't believe anything. Why did Naomi have a picture of Desmond? She wasn't working for Penny, so you have to assume she is working for Daddy Widmore. Or maybe Penny has a reward for Desmond and Naomi was just hoping of finding him.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2008, 09:42:44 PM »
Well, Hurley hasn't been completely forthcoming with the Losties. He's only told a couple of them about his fortune, maybe a couple more about his numbers curse. Jack and Claire have probably hidden the least, but then they have the least to hide....

Offline char1

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2008, 09:57:54 PM »
I don't think the freighter people want Ben for his knowledge of the island, I don't think they give a crap how special he is.  He did something that they want to draw blood for.  Maybe Naomi didn't kill him because she didn't know, or maybe she didn't want to make it known before she got her people on the ground.  I don't think the Freighters know about Jacob and I doubt they care.

If Abaddon is in charge of this mission, but has to go to Hurley in the future to ask where "they" are, what happens to his people that they cannot communicate this information to him?  (Assuming he is asking about the people on the island who were not a part of the Oceanic 6.) 

Also, the picture of Ben did appear to be taken in the 70's (based on his clothes and the environment) and did appear to be off the island.  Interesting. 

I also think it's interesting that Charlotte played along very well when she saw Ben with Locke's group.  It appeared she was quite prepared to remain composed while things played out in order to get Ben. 

Offline therealsawyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2008, 12:39:26 AM »
One important note is that they knew that Ben and Desmond were on the Island.
They were denying that any survivors of 815 were on the island though.
I would like to see what happens with Scruffy Pilot dude meets Desmond. Will he know who Desmond is or was it just Naomi who knew he would probably be on the Island.

I took this flat denial as basically teling Naomi that if they found survivors she was to kill them..."There are NO survivors of 815."  They didn't seem suprised to find survivors as Miles so tactfully showed Sayid. 

They also obviously knew that Ben, Des and the remains 815 were all on the island.  This has to be important - who would know both Ben and Des?

Miles seeems to have some sort of personal connection to Ben..but he is far too young to have been involved in the purge.

Finally, I don't think that we can trust that Ben has never been off the island, remember he told Locke he was born on the island when he was actually born outside of Portland and came to the island at age 7 or 8.  He has built a mythology around himself in order to seem more "special" to his followers.

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2008, 10:48:45 AM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and say they want Ben because, HE KILLED EVERYONE! Helloooo.

I also think these people have a secondary skill that we may not be aware of yet. Daniel Faraday may well be an empath or something which is why he was crying. Miles,, we already know his spooky skills but I'll bet he has some real world qualifications as well. I don't think we've seen anything for Charlotte yet but who knows. Frank may be the exception, just a good pilot or perhaps has ESP and knew enough not to fly 815 that day.

Offline lostatsea

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2008, 02:59:20 PM »

Either that, or they are the most expendable, like guinea pigs.
If Naomi was in charge of the operation, why did she parachute onto the island first? Why not send in someone more expendable? Maybe Naomi was the expendable one. Just a thought.

I was asking the same thing. Why is Naomi killed off so quickly? She was important part of the team, she should have jumped first or tossed someone else out, like geeky boy.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 03:01:49 PM by lostatsea »

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2008, 04:06:49 PM »

Either that, or they are the most expendable, like guinea pigs.
If Naomi was in charge of the operation, why did she parachute onto the island first? Why not send in someone more expendable? Maybe Naomi was the expendable one. Just a thought.

I was asking the same thing. Why is Naomi killed off so quickly? She was important part of the team, she should have jumped first or tossed someone else out, like geeky boy.
I don't think there was anyone else on her helicopter, seeing as it crashed into the ocean and the rest of the party are alive.

It would be a nice twist if Miles was the son of Candle or something, but I don't know.  Miles seemed pretty emotional, but he is a jumpy sort of guy....overly paranoid to say the least. 
And I bet Ben is working with Gerald Degroot in that photo.  And it is ON THE ISLAND.  Though for some reason he is dressed up and not in his workman outfit like he was before he killed his dad.  Hm.

Offline footballmom10

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2008, 09:41:29 PM »
Does anybody think that Ben shooting Chorlotte means that he thinks that she was there to kill him and not to abduct him?  I don't know, but Ben seems like he usually finds a less lethal way to deal with problems and he already had Locke on his side.  Anyway, just throwing that out there.

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2008, 12:43:40 AM »
After reading this great discussion in here, I'm starting to wonder if these people were chosen by Abbadon because he knew they wouldn't make "Jacob's List" because of their flaws/gifts.

Offline FoxyMama

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2008, 02:37:24 PM »

If Ben had a man on their boat, he would have known that Charlotte was wearing a vest when he shot her, right?  Makes sense to me.  And if he didn't know for a fact (and he knew a LOT of facts) it would be reasonable to assume she would show up on the island prepared for the worst.  Ben knew that by shooting her in the chest, he wouldn't do any damage. 

:o  *ooohh - new thought*

Maybe it is a rescue for Ben.  Ben knows these people.  But they're supposed to act like they hate him, want him for some sinister plan, when he actually sent for them/knew they were coming.  By shooting them, he's "showing" how evil he thinks they are, or so he would have everyone believe.  wow, I'll have to give more thought to that one.   ;)

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2008, 02:52:05 PM »
Maybe they want to throw him a birthday party and he is upset that he is getting old.   Really upset.

;D

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2008, 03:13:56 PM »

[/quote]

And I bet Ben is working with Gerald Degroot in that photo.  And it is ON THE ISLAND.  Though for some reason he is dressed up and not in his workman outfit like he was before he killed his dad.  Hm.

YES!!!!!