Author Topic: Why Are They After Ben?  (Read 9385 times)

Offline tonysee200x

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Why Are They After Ben?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 04:37:15 PM »
Is it possible that they know that Ben has a "special" connection to the island?

When Miles holds up the picture of Ben and says "We are looking for Benjamin Linus" his demeanor is clear that they are angry with Ben. I don't get the feeling they think he is all that "special." It has to be darma angry with him regarding the purge.

Offline versed4every1

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 04:49:39 PM »
First of all, a note pad is helpful! *cough*  not that I would admit to taking notes each episode. *cough*

Secondly, I agree with Lostfan, Goober, et al, about why the "B-team" was chosen.  However, I think that Matthew Abbaddon - the guy who saw Hurley in Santa Rosa and hired Naomi - is a remnant of Dharma and he is looking for Ben because they know about the "Purge" and have been looking for the island for a long time.  FYI, Mr. Abaddon's name means destroyer or destruction in Hebrew by the way and has been considered synonymous with Satan.   

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 08:29:18 PM »
Is it possible that they know that Ben has a "special" connection to the island?

When Miles holds up the picture of Ben and says "We are looking for Benjamin Linus" his demeanor is clear that they are angry with Ben. I don't get the feeling they think he is all that "special." It has to be darma angry with him regarding the purge.

Yeah, I agree with both you and Versed. Miles and maybe the pilot sound like they have personal grudges to settle. My thought was that they lost family members in the purge.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 10:23:05 PM »
As discussed in the "Dream Team" thread, the 4 Dropees seem to have skills valuable on The Island...but imo only in terms of research or perhaps as a seed for another DHARMA-type program.  They do not appear to be useful as Commandos, and Naomi makes this point to Abbadon.  He confidently brushes aside her concerns because he, like Ben, can divine their purpose in the ultimate plan.  They will end up being in just the right place/time to nudge events via their particular skills.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 10:36:18 PM »
The second part of my question was unclear.  If they want to kidnap or Kill Ben, then why not just send commandos?  If they want to make friendly with him, why send a commando? 

My thinking on this is that this group may have figured out how to get on the island, but they haven't had much luck getting off.  Therefore, they sent a diverse group to see if the group--using someone from each of three disciplines--can figure a way off.

Ben holds the key to all and I think that we will learn that Ben, though not a good guy, is a better guy than bad.

Offline Lostfanchrim

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 10:37:49 PM »
As discussed in the "Dream Team" thread, the 4 Dropees seem to have skills valuable on The Island...but imo only in terms of research or perhaps as a seed for another DHARMA-type program.  They do not appear to be useful as Commandos, and Naomi makes this point to Abbadon.  He confidently brushes aside her concerns because he, like Ben, can divine their purpose in the ultimate plan.  They will end up being in just the right place/time to nudge events via their particular skills.

Either that, or they are the most expendable, like guinea pigs.
If Naomi was in charge of the operation, why did she parachute onto the island first? Why not send in someone more expendable? Maybe Naomi was the expendable one. Just a thought.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 11:08:28 PM »
I don't think it's either/or.

They do have special skills that will be important. We've already seen the pilot's skill.

But I bet they also each have a grudge against Ben.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008, 11:50:04 PM »
My thinking on this is that this group may have figured out how to get on the island, but they haven't had much luck getting off.

Good point.  Perhaps Abbadon predicts:
- Lawnmower Man provides transport in and flies out some/all/none of the Lostees/Dropees
- Maelstrom divines the nature of The Purge or other info from spirits of The Island.  He may even be thought to be able to commune directly with The Island by Sinister Inc.  They knew he would come in handy because they have witnessed the dead rising in the past.  He passes this info on to...
- C.S. Lewis who, as a Cultural Anthropologist, may have a streak of Ben's particular brand of crowd control.  She might play the role of evaluating the past/current cultural situation on The Island and manipulate events/people to best achieve the goal of the Dropees mission (regain control of The Island/subjugate remaining inhabitants).  When this is accomplished it's up to...
- Faraday, who will evaluate the Electromagnetic situation on The Island and determine how to best control/harness the physical abnormalities to benefit the mission and make good on their escape.

This is just an example of the kind of string-of-events that those who one with The Force are able to put into place through the subtle nudging of events.  Ben's been doing it for years.  Abbadon is probably doing it.  Most importantly, it seems that Locke might be learning to do it through the edicts of The Island via Walt.  I hope so.

Offline jtslost

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2008, 12:34:30 AM »
I got the feeling that there was some very deep hatred on the part of Miles toward Ben.  It's almost like it's a personal thing with him.  It made me wonder.  When I look at Miles he looks alot like the guy in the Dharma films (Dr. Marvin Candle).  Except for pilot, I suspect that the other three are somehow tied to Dharma through their parents.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2008, 08:39:50 AM »
I agree JTS and welcome!

Blackrock Bob

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2008, 10:09:27 AM »
One important note is that they knew that Ben and Desmond were on the Island.
They were denying that any survivors of 815 were on the island though.
I would like to see what happens with Scruffy Pilot dude meets Desmond. Will he know who Desmond is or was it just Naomi who knew he would probably be on the Island.

Offline Lostfanchrim

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2008, 11:00:44 AM »
I got the feeling that there was some very deep hatred on the part of Miles toward Ben.  It's almost like it's a personal thing with him.  It made me wonder.  When I look at Miles he looks alot like the guy in the Dharma films (Dr. Marvin Candle).  Except for pilot, I suspect that the other three are somehow tied to Dharma through their parents.

I thought the same thing about Miles...........he DID remind me of Dr. Marvin Candle. They could very well be children of or otherwise related to victims of the purge.

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2008, 02:08:48 PM »
First of all, a note pad is helpful! *cough*  not that I would admit to taking notes each episode. *cough*

Secondly, I agree with Lostfan, Goober, et al, about why the "B-team" was chosen.  However, I think that Matthew Abbaddon - the guy who saw Hurley in Santa Rosa and hired Naomi - is a remnant of Dharma and he is looking for Ben because they know about the "Purge" and have been looking for the island for a long time.  FYI, Mr. Abaddon's name means destroyer or destruction in Hebrew by the way and has been considered synonymous with Satan.   
I agree V
I don't think the "four" know all the details either
I think they were told part of why they are being sent, but were kept in the dark about other things.

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2008, 02:10:43 PM »
One important note is that they knew that Ben and Desmond were on the Island.
They were denying that any survivors of 815 were on the island though.
I would like to see what happens with Scruffy Pilot dude meets Desmond. Will he know who Desmond is or was it just Naomi who knew he would probably be on the Island.
Good question and how does Naomi/Penny/Desmond tie into all of this?

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2008, 05:59:41 PM »
On another thread BR Bob and other and I were speculating that if Daddy Widmore is a power behind the boat, and if he has an inkling where Des went missing, he might have given the team the picture of Desmond and said call me on the off chance you see this guy.

Lot of speculation, I know....