Author Topic: Why Are They After Ben?  (Read 11647 times)

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Why Are They After Ben?
« on: February 06, 2008, 09:56:27 PM »
One of the screencaps from over on darkufo's site has a pic of Ken Leung's character (new guy/X-men/Not Penny's Boat dude) holding what looks to me like a picture of Ben.
Since Ben's been on the island since he was a kid...
1)  How'd he get an adult picture of him?
2)  Is he looking for him with good or bad intent?

Just another thing to ponder.

Offline E-Rich

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Why Are They After Ben?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 10:26:43 PM »
I read in several other spoiler sites that Ben has a spy on the freighter.  This could be the answer....

I also read that they are not looking for the Losties - but they are looking for Ben - to kill him.

Do a search on "ben has a spy on the freigher" and you'll come up with a ton....some are most likely foilers - but still interesting.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 10:34:34 PM by E-Rich »

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 12:39:43 AM »
And, if so, why send a physicist, a ghostbuster.....?

Who are these people?

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 12:49:27 AM »
There's too much to think about following this episode.  I don't know about you guys but I need to see this one again (with a notepad).

Offline Bostonlost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 01:01:10 AM »
Why are they after Ben?

I would say that they(Dharma) know what he did (killing off the researchers) .....I would say that the hellipeople are there to get info, find out what has been going on,make contact with Dharma, take back the Island, and kill or extract Ben

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 01:20:09 AM »
Still doesn't answer why they send 4 rejects.  Their unique abilities must be necessary for something, and Ben is probably the key to what they need.  My guess is Jacob or the secrets of the island in general.  No one knows more about it than him.  So it doesn't seem like Dharma retaliation to me, but it's possible I guess.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 02:31:23 AM »
Yeah, even Naomi was like "Wtf? Why these four losers?" lol...

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 02:39:05 AM »
Why are they after Ben?

I would say that they(Dharma) know what he did (killing off the researchers) .....I would say that the hellipeople are there to get info, find out what has been going on,make contact with Dharma, take back the Island, and kill or extract Ben
Agreed.

Before viewing this epi, I though that the freighter was primarily Dharma with Naomi (sent by Daddy Widmore) hitching a ride, but now I'm thinking that Daddy Widmore sent the search, but Dharma tagged along.

Offline *MaZ*

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 12:08:07 PM »
Why not?
Everybody hates Ben.

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 12:08:31 PM »
My thoughts:

Physicist - they (whoever is behind the expedition) know about the island's special properties and electromagnetism so Faraday is likely there to investigate that aspect.

Ghost Buster - they may know of the other properties of the island as well (e.g. the voices) and he may be there to communicate with those that have died on the island (such as Naomi... among others). Maybe the island is a nexus.

Anthropologist - to study the indigenous people (like Richard, etc.) and the artifacts left behind (four-toed statue, temple, et al.)

Pilot - to get them there and back again. He also worked for Oceanic... maybe that has something to do with it...

Naomi is apparently a mercenary or military-trained and thus was responsible for getting these folks there and keeping them alive.

When you are trying to be covert rejects may be the best option. If you were recruiting the best-of-the-best someone would surely notice and suspicions would be raised.

Offline bobfromplumbing

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 12:13:04 PM »
Is it possible that they know that Ben has a "special" connection to the island?  If so, what will they do when they find out about Locke.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 12:16:32 PM »
My thoughts:

Physicist - they (whoever is behind the expedition) know about the island's special properties and electromagnetism so Faraday is likely there to investigate that aspect.

Ghost Buster - they may know of the other properties of the island as well (e.g. the voices) and he may be there to communicate with those that have died on the island (such as Naomi... among others). Maybe the island is a nexus.

Anthropologist - to study the indigenous people (like Richard, etc.) and the artifacts left behind (four-toed statue, temple, et al.)

Pilot - to get them there and back again. He also worked for Oceanic... maybe that has something to do with it...

Naomi is apparently a mercenary or military-trained and thus was responsible for getting these folks there and keeping them alive.

When you are trying to be covert rejects may be the best option. If you were recruiting the best-of-the-best someone would surely notice and suspicions would be raised.

Thanks alot goober, I just spent ten minutes typing up this EXACT breakdown!   >:(    ;D

The only thing I would add is that I agreed with naomi that they should have sent in more military types first to take control and the others later to sort things out.  I don't think anyone would question military personnel being involved in a search and rescue mission, which was their original story (Desmond).

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 12:24:59 PM »
Yea lostfan I typed that out and found a similar post on another thread a few minutes later meself :)

Everyone seems to be thinking the same.

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 12:40:33 PM »
There's too much to think about following this episode.  I don't know about you guys but I need to see this one again (with a notepad).

for once we agree, i was going to stay away until a 2nd or 3rd viewing took place, this espisode gave me a whirlwind headache!!! LOL

so much to digest, i'm using a notepad and possibly a tape recorder haaaaaaaaaa

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 04:22:19 PM »

for once we agree, i was going to stay away until a 2nd or 3rd viewing took place, this espisode gave me a whirlwind headache!!! LOL

so much to digest, i'm using a notepad and possibly a tape recorder haaaaaaaaaa

It took me almost 90 minutes to watch the 40 or so without commercials because I kept pausing to look at things and rewinding to listen, all the while my wife staring at me like I was nuts!  At one point she said she is losing interest in Lost because it's too confusing (she just watches the show when it's on and that's it).  I may have to make an appointment with a divorce attorney!  :'(     

;D